skiman123

Best DZ to Pack at?

I am new on here so this is my quick intro before we get to the point. I have 30 jumps over the last couple years. I have taken a packing class but have only packed a few times. I am going to move to a DZ this spring to live for a few months and pack so finally get things rolling. Anyways, I have heard from people that Lodi is a good place to pack at. Any other suggestions? I am going to limit it to DZs west of Colorado. Thanks for your help!

I am new on here so this is my quick intro before we get to the point. I have 30 jumps over the last couple years. I have taken a packing class but have only packed a few times. I am going to move to a DZ this spring to live for a few months and pack so finally get things rolling. Anyways, I have heard from people that Lodi is a good place to pack at. Any other suggestions? I am going to limit it to DZs west of Colorado. Thanks for your help!

You're a rigger?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

No...he's a guy with about 30 jumps who wants to figure out a way to pursue his dream and someday be as cool as you.

I am not cool.
I am just a guy who asked a question.
Do you know why I asked the question?

Matt

No...he's a guy with about 30 jumps who wants to figure out a way to pursue his dream and someday be as cool as you.

I am not cool.

Matt

O.K. I'll bite. B| Why do you ask?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Best dz to pack FOR.

You should look at the FAR's to see who can pack a parachute.

You should also do some more research on those "things you've heard". The parachute Center in Acampo (Lodi) pays THE lowest rates for every job in the industry.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I am going to move to a DZ this spring to live for a few months and pack so finally get things rolling.

Don't be so sure about that. It seems to be a recurring theme these last few days, but the problem with all these 'I'm going to work on a DZ' plans, is that it's not that easy to work on the DZ.

Keep in mind, that for every 'good' job on the DZ, there are usually several candidates, and if you only have 30 jumps, limited packing experience, and are going to show up as the 'new guy', you're a long way from the best candidate.

You might not think so at first, but packing is a 'good' job on the DZ, and if you're looking to make money, it's close to one of the best. Because of this, there are qualified, motivated people after these jobs, and they're not just there for the taking. As with most other jobs on the DZ, it's tough to roll into town and get the gig, they typically go to the locals before they'll pick up a 'new guy'.

You may have read any one of 1000 posts where we suggest to students/newbies who are short on cash that they see about packing for the DZ. Now this may sound contrary to what I said above, but that advice goes toward people at their home DZ, where they spent a good deal of money to learn to jump (or they are in the process), who are looking to pack a handful of rigs on a weekend day to pay for a jump at the end of the day.

That's a far cry from a guy that nobody knows, showing up looking for 'work' as a packer. An up and coming local student/newbie looking to score some jump money is one thing, an 'out of towner' looking for a job is another. The vast majority of bigger, year-round DZs have an independent packing consession, and if you don't work for them, you don't pack on the DZ. You could try to offer your packing services to experienced jumpers, but you won't get any takers, and if you do, expect a visit from the DZ managment asking you to stop or leave the DZ.

The better plan is to show up with a pile of money, and spend it on a ton of jumps. Hang out, and burn through about half of them, and then ask around about maintenance work around the DZ, or maybe some stray pack jobs.

it amuses me to see sooooooooo many people think they can just waltz in to any dz and start packing.

and also so many suggestion from nonprofessional skydivers that they think they know everything and suggest packing as a first job at dz.

local packers are gonna eat you alive,, son.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I've done it a few times. Hang around. Get to know the packers. I think being cool and easy to work with is what will get you on. If they look slammed, ask them if they need help. Sometimes the answer will be no but sometimes there are great opportunities.

I've ended up being someone's packer for the day when they were on lots of loads. I've also done it full time. It helps a lot to be on your game or comfortable asking questions and receiving feedback.

I think if your just trying to walk on a DZ and work as a packer then yeah you will probably be met with some resistance from the packers and locals.

But I imagine you would have a better chance getting a job as a packer at a DZ thats actually looking for a packer. It might not be your DZ of choice but you'll start to gain some experience and get to know some people in this community of skydiving.

Down the road if you become a rigger then I imagine you would be a bit more marketable and people would trust you more then just some packer that walked in.

This is exactly why I don't bother with forums anymore. You get worthless answers by people who think they are the shit. I came asking for advice not to boast. Thanks to whoever actually helped.

You mean you came here and didn't get the answer you wanted...or you don't like the tone & manner of the answers you're getting?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

omg, try dealing with real packer in real life.

i used to be one of them, as in packers.

me and other guy will make you so uncomfortable hanging out dz that you wish you had a hemorrhoid instead.

Good packers can not only can pack 5 in 20 min, but they are very good at defending what they have as well.

and I used to be a good one, a very good one.

I'm just giving you a reality kid.

But in reality, in order to get a job at dz, you just gotta show up, and show up, and show up until they get sick of you and show up more, and you'll shoot video and do tandems one day, and that is if you have adequate air and social skill.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

This is exactly why I don't bother with forums anymore. You get worthless answers by people who think they are the shit. I came asking for advice not to boast. Thanks to whoever actually helped.

No, you just got answers you didn't like.

This takes work, son.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

To make a living at just about anything, you'll have to be competent at it.

How long does it take you to pack right now?
Well, that's not fast enough yet. Sorry.

Can you hang around your current DZ and get some more experience? Are they willing to let you pack there? Because they know you better than a new DZ. If they won't let you pack there, why should some other place?

With that said, sometimes it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time and the skill set needed. Some days my DZ needs packers, some days they're all laying about with nothing to do. I would say a busy DZ is the place to be, hopefully one that's just lost a packer or two.

...local packers are gonna eat you alive,, son.

yup... it's how they get meat in their diet! :);)

:D:D:D Bet it tastes great with Snack Ramen 3 times a day. :P

Obviously they're getting paid too much.:P

OP:
I became a rigger because I wanted to pack MY reserve especially after seeing the master riggers I had been using hooked up one slink wrong and missed it on the next repack.

It's worked out well for me, even on a weekend of not getting any video/AFF/coach jumps, there's usually a reserve or two that needs packin'. Only down side is to do it right, you should have sewing machines, enough of the proper tools to make the job easy (packing a back bailout rig without t-bodkins was a pain in the ass, SO much easier with them). Becoming a rigger actually cost me ~$500, I didn't have to pay for the riggers that I was working with time, use of their materials or machines, just the written and O/P. If you look hard enough, I'm sure you'll find a rigger to study under for next to nothing and get some experience with the 'field'.

Of course, now I have a couple machines, a full kit that includes grommet setters and all, it's not a cheap initial investment :$ but believe it or not, many riggers out there have tools they've long stopped using and may even be willing to throw them your way for next to if not nothing.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I hate to say "don't do it", so instead I'll give you a little story.

October of 2010 I decided to move to Eloy with not many more jumps than you. I thought I could complete my "cutaway" by packing for income. I found out very quickly that things simply just don't work that way. My now buddy AndrewC showed up about a week later. Also a low time jumper, but with a little more packing experience from his old dropzone.

I had a job I could fall back on. Every morning before the first load andrew would put on his 'packing gear' and hangout in front of the packers area hoping to get thrown some work. After about a week of this someone threw him a few rigs. He damn near starved to death.

In a little over a year he's turned into a pretty good packer at one of the busiest drop zones in the world, makes pretty good scratch and gets to travel to some cool boogies for work.

When I lost my employment I was given a chance in the loft (after people had seen my face on the DZ everyday for nearly a year). I damn near starved to death. I'm back to working in a bank.

Now I don't want to to tell you not to do it, because after all if it's something you REALLY want you may be able to make it happen like my buddy andrew....or you might actually starve to death.

You may also find that as a busy packer you will be jumping considerably less than if you just fun jumped.

My advice: Don't try the cutaway at 30 jumps. If you have not already, find a good way to support yourself. Get as much experience as you can. Pack for others on the weekends and after you have your D-License re-evaluate the 'cutaway' plan.

My advice: Don't try the cutaway at 30 jumps. If you have not already, find a good way to support yourself. Get as much experience as you can. Pack for others on the weekends and after you have your D-License re-evaluate the 'cutaway' plan.

Good story. If everyone remembers the movie that inspired your term 'cutaway' (the movie Cutaway), when the lead character wanted to 'cutaway' and join the skydiving team, the DZO (or whatever) told the guy it was going to cost him $10k to train.

If you want to be a newbie and 'cutaway', you need $10k to make it happen. Otherwise, you're right, get your skills together as a weekend jumper at a local DZ, then you can market yourself to DZs and 'cutaway' with a plan of some sort.

Hell, there's a couple of packing jobs in the halp wanted section of the classifieds as we speak. Of course, they all want experienced packers who are fast and have proven they can pack 50 rigs per day for an entire season, but the jobs are out there.

I am not cool.

Matt

O.K. I'll bite. B| Why do you ask?

Diablo beat me to it.

Matt