skykank

Wing X stol kit

Hi:

I trying to get some info here, I'm modifying my cessna 182 wide body with the 275hp PPonk conversion, and was thinking about the Wing X stol kit as well, does any plane owner can tell me about it, if the kit really makes a difference when climbing, and about the costs X benefits, does it worth paying 9.500 to buy it and install???

Thanks in advance.

At one DZ I jump at, they had 6 182's at one time, all outfitted with Wing X over the years, by the DZO.

This is all off the top of my head so I don't know the details:

A big part of it was the gross weight increase you get out of the kit. (Up to 2900 lbs?) That was valuable for the late 1960s C-182's he had: They were late enough models to have the wide body, so they could take people, but were too early to have increased gross weight from the factory. Over the years those 182s were up engined to 260 hp, perhaps another useful factor -- the combo of extra power and span would work well together for climb.

How it worked out exactly for weight of jumpers vs. cycle time, I don't know. But the DZO found the conversion valuable when the DZ only had Cessna's, with the DZ depending on them.

I can't really comment on the X stol but i know of two DZs that have very fast climbing 182s.

Skydive Fargo has one that rockets to 13,000 feet.

And the Lincoln Sport Parachute Club in Nebraska has two 182s with the P-ponk. I know they do everything they can to get performance out of their planes.

I'd check with both of them.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I overhauled my '59 182 in 2010, replacing the engine and prop with a PPonk 520 and 3 bladed McCauley prop and I installed the wingX kit at the same time. The plane climbs fast and the gross weight increase is a huge benefit. It takes longer to descend with the longer wings, so you might want to think about adding speed brakes.

It takes longer to descend with the longer wings, so you might want to think about adding speed brakes.

Have you found speed brakes for a 182?!?! I tried years ago but lost interest when the manufacturer disavowed all knowledge of such an animal.

jon

Horton and Sportsman (Stene) are wing leading edge cuffs that change the slow flight characteristics of the stock Cessna wing. Neither increases the gross weight of the a/c.

WingX adds 12+ square feet and about 3 feet of length to the overall wing. The spars must be inspected and modified accordingly to perform the mod. This allows for an increase in gross weight.

jon

To add to what jon stated about STOL kits:

The DZO I mentioned before had one plane outfitted with a STOL kit (prior to the Wing X stuff) but wasn't impressed. The problem is, he's more interested in a good best climb rate at 85 mph (or whatever) than better handling at 60 mph or better short field angle of climb over trees at 60 mph. STOL kits aren't necessarily made for what a DZO is looking for.

Our DZ operates two 56 model 182's. I have one wing X kit and one without... I fly both often and see a small difference in climb time to alt. both are stock engines and are only a few serial numbers apart. The gross weight increase is helpful in being able to carry a bit more fuel on hot days as well as larger jumpers. I have yet to do the other aircraft based on the cost vs. notice in overall turn times!!