yeyo

USPA-1000 jumps wings?

I dont know man, I dont see the word "Gold" anywhere on the application.

Probably because the form serves all the awards, as in Gold Wings, Diamond Wings, Double Diamond etc.

The 1st 1000 was tough to get 'back in the day', weekend 182 loads with lots of waiting your turn...when I finally earned mine I thought they shoulda been REAL gold! Heck, I'd paid enough into the sport!! :D

Way back when, the USPA use to send you Silver Wings to go along with every license and award ya earned, I have 1/2 a dozen of them in a box full of stuff I'll never use but don't wanna lose.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>Is like requireing a drivers license to get a cooking diploma.

No, it's like requiring that you have a driver's license before you get an award for driving 100,000 miles. Seems reasonable to me.

Actually, he has said driver's license - it's called his A license. Nowhere it says it's a learner's permit...

This rule in beyond dumb. I have no interest in getting some silly awards, as I jump for myself but that one seems just stupid.
Now, where are the dzs organizing regular night jumps? Took the D test 2.5 years ago and it's been a rough time trying to make 2 night jumps at my local dzs!

Now, where are the dzs organizing regular night jumps?

On the other coast. :P We have 'em on the schedule about once a month.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why is it every time one of you young chumps don't want to put in the time to earn what you seek out to be handed to you and then learn you have to follow rules to play the game.... it's everyone else who is the idiots....

If you want your gold wings then play by the rules to join to club as all other club members have done to earn theirs, if you don't want to, then piss off!

It is a 1000 jump award...I have 1000 jumps, so I earn it. Why does it matter what license I have? Is like requiring a drivers license to get a cooking diploma. Ok, it is their rule, all I'm saying is stupid. Screw them. What license I need to have an opinion? And you don't know me, you piss off and don't call me names.

From what I understand it's a requirement to have earned the appropriate license AND made 1000 freefall parachute jumps in order to receive the Gold Wing award.

So it's really more like having to have a drivers license in order to get a commercial operator ticket.

Gold Wing award is a recognition of achievement in the sport, it shows dedication toward personal advancement which is an all encompassing never ending task...it's really not just badge you get for elevator rides. SIUCC

...and as far as calling names, in what context & just who were you referring to with the 'idiots' comment?

Funny, my GW certificate says "for completion of 1,000 freefall skydives in compliance with the requirements of the United States Parachute Association". As far as I know there's no requirement to hold a D license to complete 1,000 freefall skydives.

I get your point but the idea of holding a particular license to be recognized for reaching a jump number milestone seems a little silly.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Why is it every time one of you young chumps don't want to put in the time to earn what you seek out to be handed to you and then learn you have to follow rules to play the game.... it's everyone else who is the idiots....

If you want your gold wings then play by the rules to join to club as all other club members have done to earn theirs, if you don't want to, then piss off!

It is a 1000 jump award...I have 1000 jumps, so I earn it. Why does it matter what license I have? Is like requiring a drivers license to get a cooking diploma. Ok, it is their rule, all I'm saying is stupid. Screw them. What license I need to have an opinion? And you don't know me, you piss off and don't call me names.

From what I understand it's a requirement to have earned the appropriate license AND made 1000 freefall parachute jumps in order to receive the Gold Wing award.

So it's really more like having to have a drivers license in order to get a commercial operator ticket.

Gold Wing award is a recognition of achievement in the sport, it shows dedication toward personal advancement which is an all encompassing never ending task...it's really not just badge you get for elevator rides. SIUCC

...and as far as calling names, in what context & just who were you referring to with the 'idiots' comment?

Funny, my GW certificate says "for completion of 1,000 freefall skydives in compliance with the requirements of the United States Parachute Association". As far as I know there's no requirement to hold a D license to complete 1,000 freefall skydives.

I get your point but the idea of holding a particular license to be recognized for reaching a jump number milestone seems a little silly.

Mine say "...in accordance with the Basic Safety Requirements of the USPA." Another example is, when I was approaching my first thousand, I had a considerable number of military jumps and wondered why I couldn't put in for the Gold Wings based on the criteria established (intentional exit...) . Jim Crouch (also former Airborne) explained the BSR's stated the minimum opening altitudes and that was that. Don't have to agree, disagree or even understand... Them were the rules and I went on to get them the USPA "way." Seemed a little silly and the rules have changed since then, but that's good for the now former Airborne guys.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Mine say "...in accordance with the Basic Safety Requirements of the USPA." Another example is, when I was approaching my first thousand, I had a considerable number of military jumps and wondered why I couldn't put in for the Gold Wings based on the criteria established (intentional exit...) . Jim Crouch (also former Airborne) explained the BSR's stated the minimum opening altitudes and that was that. Don't have to agree, disagree or even understand... Them were the rules and I went on to get them the USPA "way." Seemed a little silly and the rules have changed since then, but that's good for the now former Airborne guys.

So there have been changes in the wording on the document, but the premise is the same. If the OP made all 1,000 jumps in accordance with the BSR's I still don't see the need for him to hold a particular license to get an award that is solely for the purpose of recognizing a jump number milestone.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I had a considerable number of military jumps and wondered why I couldn't put in for the Gold Wings

Static line or free fall?

I tried to check the USPA website to see if it still required FF jumps or included S/L jumps for the wings award and licenses. Unfortunately it appears down right now.

If the OP made all 1,000 jumps in accordance with the BSR's I still don't see the need for him to hold a particular license to get an award that is solely for the purpose of recognizing a jump number milestone.

I agree.

I also think most jumpers should go ahead and get the D license; night jumps, water training and all. A friend with a D license once made free jumps at an airshow all day while his more experienced, C-licensed buddies sat on the ground because the LZ was below their minimum.:D Membership has its privileges. ;)

So there have been changes in the wording on the document, but the premise is the same. If the OP made all 1,000 jumps in accordance with the BSR's I still don't see the need for him to hold a particular license to get an award that is solely for the purpose of recognizing a jump number milestone.

mmm...ehhh ...well
...you mean ALL of the BSRs ??? hahaha B|
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

It is a 1000 jump award...I have 1000 jumps, so I earn it.

Because if you haven’t completed all the requirements you haven’t earned it. What is it about that you don’t understand?

Quit whining.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Because if you haven’t completed all the requirements you haven’t earned it. What is it about that you don’t understand?

Quit whining.

Sparky

Occupy USPA.

Shit, this isn't Speaker's Corner.....

I have not kept up with the rule changes in a very long time and I've killed a lot of brain cells during those years, so I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I thought it had to do with the signatures required in your logbook.

In the old days, when you only needed 200 jumps for a D, you needed to get all of your jumps witnessed (signed) until you had a D-license. After that, your own logbook entry was sufficient. And the second you weren't required to have your jumps co-signed, you stopped asking for signatures - it made you look like a newbie. So it was really impractical to get a 1000 jump award or higher without a D; even if you got signatures, the USPA Conference Director (yes, that's what they were called) wasn't going to check 1,000 entires to make sure they were all signed. Just a guess, but maybe that's how it evolved into a requirement that you have a D.

If that's the case, the rule should technically allow you to get the award with an A if every single one of your jumps has been signed by a witness. Have they?

I could be totally off base on this, but if that's the case don't assume I'm an idiot - it's just because I'm OLD. No, that's not the same thing.

Quit whining.

Sparky

I understand it is a requirement, they sent me a letter explaining it.
I am only questioning it because it is a stupid requirement that has nothing to do with completing 1000 jumps.
Im not part of any herd, so I question stuff, and if I find it stupid Im allowed to say it.

behehehehe !!!!
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

I had a considerable number of military jumps and wondered why I couldn't put in for the Gold Wings

Static line or free fall?

I tried to check the USPA website to see if it still required FF jumps or included S/L jumps for the wings award and licenses. Unfortunately it appears down right now.

Military S/L
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Military S/L

Yeah, there's the rub. When I got my wings, it was for freefall jumps. Same with 100 jumps for the C, 200 jumps for the D. To this day I log static line jumps, but I don't count them.

Ain't it nice to know how to PLF properly and quickly? All those peeps that want to drop the scary night jumps and water training for the D license? They should be glad we don't make them jump a damn 28' flat or MC1-1. That would thin the herd pretty quickly. :P:D

Military S/L

Yeah, there's the rub. When I got my wings, it was for freefall jumps. Same with 100 jumps for the C, 200 jumps for the D. To this day I log static line jumps, but I don't count them.

Ain't it nice to know how to PLF properly and quickly? All those peeps that want to drop the scary night jumps and water training for the D license? They should be glad we don't make them jump a damn 28' flat or MC1-1. That would thin the herd pretty quickly. :P:D

Yup. I just thanked Airborne school for the training and moved on...

It is a 1000 jump award...I have 1000 jumps, so I earn it. Why does it matter what license I have? Is like requireing a drivers license to get a cooking diploma. Ok, it is their rule, all Im saying is stupid. Screw them. What license I need to have an opinion? And you dont know me, you piss off and dont call me names.

No it's a D license and a 1,000 jump award. Have you thought of just doing what it takes to get a D license?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Im not part of any herd, so I question stuff, and if I find it stupid Im allowed to say it

Hate to burst your bubble, but you are part of the head.

Sparky

How is that?
You have to know somebody fairly well to make that statement, and we havent met so Im sure you're just trolling...troll. :ph34r:

behehehehe !!!
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Tangentially related question...

Why are your first set of jump wings and freefall badge only free if they happen to be 1000/2000 or 12/24? Are those pins somehow even more chincy than the 15 bucks the rest of them cost such that they can afford to part with them more readily?

I haven't applied for any awards yet but the first ones I would go for would be the 3000 jump and 48 hour awards I'm coming up on shortly. I guess I don't get my freebies unless I go back and ask for awards that are OBE at this point.

Well, the USPA website is working today. And there it is, at the top of the page, the blank for your D license #. Well heck, it their award, so they can make their requirements.

You could do what we've done with some awards. Realize that you've accomplished the goals, but skip the piece of paper. I haven't put in for my last half dozen or so.

Why are your first set of jump wings and freefall badge only free if they happen to be 1000/2000 or 12/24? Are those pins somehow even more chincy than the 15 bucks the rest of them cost such that they can afford to part with them more readily?

Those awards were started "back in the day" when it was a Big Deal to make 1K, 2k, etc. jumps. Now, with so many skydivers jumping for so many years, out of so many turbine planes, up to 7 days a week, the USPA found itself kicking out more bling than a chain of Zale's stores.

I really don't blame them for doing what they did. Besides, those wings look really cool, but I don't really wear mine. And if I really wanted some more, I could scratch up the $$.

Well, the USPA website is working today. And there it is, at the top of the page, the blank for your D license #. Well heck, it their award, so they can make their requirements.

You could do what we've done with some awards. Realize that you've accomplished the goals, but skip the piece of paper. I haven't put in for my last half dozen or so.

Exactly! Like i said in post #13:

Ill play by their rules even if they make no sense. No wings for me and thats it. Im the same person wings or not, and they cant take away my jumps.

edit: They have it on the SIM also, Section 8-2:
"d. be the holder of a current USPA D license or its accepted foreign equivalent"
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Those awards were started "back in the day" when it was a Big Deal to make 1K, 2k, etc. jumps. Now, with so many skydivers jumping for so many years, out of so many turbine planes, up to 7 days a week, the USPA found itself kicking out more bling than a chain of Zale's stores.

I really don't blame them for doing what they did. Besides, those wings look really cool, but I don't really wear mine. And if I really wanted some more, I could scratch up the $$.

I don't blame them either for charging people if they keep ordering more and more wings as they go, I'm just curious why your first one is free, but only if it's the 1000/2000 jump wings. They actually had to go out of their way to make the form more complicated to accommodate this and it's not obvious as to why. Did they put an extra zero on an order form and now they've got boxes of 1000 and 2000 jump wings they're trying to get rid of, meanwhile they order all the other wings one-off from their supplier?