gchain

First Skydive Headache

Hi there.

In my first skydive, when the parachute opened I got a massive headache that lasted approximately 2 days.

Why does this happen, is this normal?

Forgot to mention this jump was a while ago and I got completely over it and it got better throughout those 2 days.
I'm also prone to migraines

I got pretty serious headaches in AFF. I learned most was from dehydration. I also for some reason get them from my face being exposed to the cold air. Once I got a full face I was golden. Which is a bummer because I do tandem vid and am stuck with an old modified sidewinder helmet until someone decides to build a decent fullface that's cx oriented. I have also found it prudent to have some ibuprofen on board before jumping as a preventative measure. For you right now it's likely driven by the adrenalin crash as well. A big load of adrenalin like you are getting being a new jumper is hard on some peoples bodies to come down from. It should improve as you get more cool and collected whilst jumping.

Why does this happen, is this normal?

Depends.

Skydiving itself isn't "normal" in terms of how the human body evolved and it also depends on what you mean by headache.

You say you're prone to migraines. I assume you're familiar what your migraines feel like. Did it feel like one of those? Do you have auras that go along with your migraines? If so, did you also experience the aura?

One of the more common reasons a person can get a headache from skydiving has, as I mentioned earlier, a LOT to do with the fact humans aren't evolved to fly and deal with rapid pressure changes. All it takes is a cold or allergies just slightly clogging up and sinuses and the pain can be so great you'll feel as if a nail has been driven into your head. In my experience, this feels considerably different than a "normal" headache, but I would generally describe it as a headache just to get the point across.

Do you suffer from any allergies or did you maybe have a small cold?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver