crage

Places to stay near The Farm

I'm (finally) planning on starting my AFF at The farm in the next few weeks. I don't live in the area, and my wife and I are leaving on friday after work to stay the night in the area so we can get to the FJC first thing Saturday morning. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good motel to stay at close to the DZ? We don't want to spend too much $$$, but don't want to worry about cockroaches in the bed either[:/] Would love some input from the locals! Thanks!

I'm (finally) planning on starting my AFF at The farm in the next few weeks. I don't live in the area, and my wife and I are leaving on friday after work to stay the night in the area so we can get to the FJC first thing Saturday morning. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good motel to stay at close to the DZ? We don't want to spend too much $$$, but don't want to worry about cockroaches in the bed either[:/] Would love some input from the locals! Thanks!

I normally stayed at the Days Inn down the road, when I didn't stay at the bunkhouse. In the past I have just winged it. If the DZ got rowdy or the bunkhouse was full, I went to the hotel. On Friday night you can nominate yourself as designated driver and go out to dinner with a bunch of the farm guys:)

Nigel is right.
Be sure to mention "skydiver" rate.
Here's the number:

Days Inn - Rockmart (770) 684-9955

Bunkhouse, couches in the hangar, 55 acres of grass....all no-charge.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Nigel is right.
Be sure to mention "skydiver" rate.
Here's the number:

Days Inn - Rockmart (770) 684-9955

Bunkhouse, couches in the hangar, 55 acres of grass....all no-charge.

Andy I'm a baby when it comes to camping out on the grass. Freaking branch fell in the woods and the first thought through my head, was it would really suck to be killed by a tree on a skydiving holiday:D.

Bunkhouse is good, just bring a pillow and sleeping bag - I don't think the farm have them? I've never asked...

I have stayed at all the local motels mentioned on the Farm's website. I wouldn't recommend the Holiday Inn Express only because it is a longer drive. I would recommend the Econo Lodge first (678) 757-1107.
I would highly NOT recommend you taking your wife to any other motel in the area.
Filth, paper thin walls, the smell of meth, all-night parties, late-night fights and the list goes on and on and on.

Thanks for the recommendations!
We might try the Days Inn and ask about the skydiver rate. We love to camp, but since it's a long drive and we'll be getting in late, we thought it best to check into a motel this time rather than setting up a tent late at night. I'm definitely looking forward to camping at the DZ this summer and fall.

Hmm - Holiday Inn should be about the same distance as Econo Lodge, just in the other direction (it's my preferred choice when I get a hotel out there).

As Mark says Holiday Inn or Econo Lodge are both nice. I would stay FAR away from the Days Inn.....

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hmm - Holiday Inn should be about the same distance as Econo Lodge, just in the other direction (it's my preferred choice when I get a hotel out there).

As Mark says Holiday Inn or Econo Lodge are both nice. I would stay FAR away from the Days Inn.....

Blues,
Ian

Agreed. Days Inns suck donkey balls. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Blues,
Ian

Hmmmm...interesting. Not having stayed at either of them, I was going on what I was told by Hans.

You say you have experience with each of them and that those two are better? Then, that's what we'll recommend in the future. Thanks, Ian.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Blues,
Ian

I'm curios as to why the stories about Days Inn? Personally I haven't had any issues (well other than drama between skydivers one night)

Blues,
Ian

I'm curios as to why the stories about Days Inn? Personally I haven't had any issues (well other than drama between skydivers one night)

Many Days Inns these days are owned or operated by immigrants from India. They seem to have a much different standard of hygiene and cleanliness than Americans do... B| At least that is my experience...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

nigel i tried the Day Inn several times. The price is right. Now I stay down the road from there at the Econo Lodge for another $25-30 bucks a night.
I never slept through the night at the Days Inn. They have thin walls and there were several unfortunate and fairly serious incidents, such as a dispute between an underage girl, her mom and a much older man. Also, meth being cooked all night long with the television and radio being blared to cover up noise next door.
The innkeeper would try to get me in a room with no one on either side but in the end he just wasn't strong enough to keep things in line there.

Wow, I'm glad I read the rest of this thread before we book our reservations at the Days Inn. Thanks for everyone's help. We found a different place in Cedartown through Hotwire that looks pretty good, and the price was about the same as the Days Inn pricing. I don't know the exact name of it, but the site said it was 3 star. Hope to meet some of you down there soon!
~C