BrianSGermain

SAFETY FIRST TV with Brian Germain: Free Youtube Video!

Here is a link to the first in a series of safety-oriented videos, based on the Safety First with Brian Germain show on SkydiveRadio. I realized that many of the points in discussion are better made through video, so we have launched...

SAFETY FIRST TV!! (woohoo!)

Here is the link to our first episode:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BSGermain?feature=mhee

Safety is no accident!!
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Brian,

A couple of simple things to make your videos look better.

1) Don't use a wide angle lens. It makes you look weird. Take the wide angle off. If you have room, back the camera up and then zoom it in to the equivalent of say a 135mm lens on a 35mm camera. Much more flattering.

2) Have the camera at eye level. Don't shoot up your nose. Again, it's just looks weird. Additionally, because the camera is shooting slightly up, the silhouette of the top of your head is being bisected by the top of the white board behind you. By having the camera at eye level, it will also keep your head in one "frame" rather than looking like it has a line going through it.

3) Place your lights in such a way they don't reflect off the white board behind you and glare into the camera. This is kind of a biggie since it is affecting your exposure and even though you have lights on you, because the lights are glaring back into the camera, it's lowering the overall exposure and making you look darker and not as well lit. In this room, I think you might be better served bouncing the light off the ceiling and walls rather than pointing the lights directly at you anyway. They're causing a lot of harsh shadows that just don't look good on anybody.

4) If you're not going to actually use the white board to draw or write on, consider standing in front of something else. It doesn't look attractive.

5) If you can, don't use the camera mic. The camera mic is always going to be omni-directional and pick up way too much background noise. There are a ton of ways to get around it including just using your iPhone's headset mic to record the sound and syncing the two up in editing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thank you Quade. This is very helpful information. As time goes on, the technical aspects of the show will get better and better. I will take your help seriously, and again, I thank you for your ideas and look forward to more!

Wanna come to Maryland and help me get this worked out? PM me!

Be well everybody!
Brian
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com