J0nathan

halo jump ?

>If want to do real Halo for free all you gotta do is join the army.

Note that the military sometimes calls a 12,500 foot jump with a 3000 foot opening "HALO." (As opposed to their standard static line delivery method.)

Hi Bill

Yes sir they do.

But in the army they can't whine about the spot, the winds, jumping in to a moonless night, s/l (how low can you go :o or halo. they are all delivery systems to go to work.

When the airborne land's in spite of the dark, windy cold night.

they also have to try and avoid the rivers, tree's and other fixed objects they can't see , larger bodies of water, and other crap that can hurt them, in the real world they may still have to deal with McNasty's that want to hurt them before they can even land.B|

FWIW I was not in the army, airborn or a leg. :S
One Jump Wonder

Not doing a chamber ride before hand is a mistake. The effects of Hypoxia and the experience noticing them that you will learn from a chamber ride are life saving experiences.

At 18,000 hypoxic conditions are mostly an inconvenience for skydivers. At 26,000+ it's deadly.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Not doing a chamber ride before hand is a mistake. The effects of Hypoxia and the experience noticing them that you will learn from a chamber ride are life saving experiences.

At 18,000 hypoxic conditions are mostly an inconvenience for skydivers. At 26,000+ it's deadly.

Anywhere to do this near the west coast?

I recently did a halo jump in sept 2011 with Kevin at halojumper.com, just outside of memphis TN. Ive done a few 21k skydives before but this was always on my bucket list. Training, all equipment, certificate, and free tshirt were all included for under 400.00 ( no alt chamber requirement).. It was a short 7hr drive and me and a buddy split the gas and hotel, so total cost was 650.00 or so. Kevin also gave each one of us a go pro to wear, no charge.. I had the angle all wrong on my wrist mount so the angle is a little off. Search Scott Corder on YouTube for my video. Also search chad morris on YouTube. It was his 40th jump and his video is excellent. Exit temp was -29 degrees, exit alt was 29,700.. Over 2 min of free fall time.

Sounds like a total blast. 40 jumps and a Go-Pro aside.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

Chad flew in from the east coast and either didn't have his own gear or didn't bring it. Everone else jumped their own gear.

So how much extra weight didt you add, accounting for all their gear?
Did it effect your wing loading in any significant way
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Chad flew in from the east coast and either didn't have his own gear or didn't bring it. Everone else jumped their own gear.

So how much extra weight didt you add, accounting for all their gear?
It it effect your wing loading in any significant way

Add 15 lbs for your HALO gear (helmet, O2 mask, goggles and bail-out bottle assy.)
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

I think spikes is just asking about the definition of HALO. The opening is "Low" as opposed to right after exit (or what exactly does it imply?), but it doesn't mean "suck it down to 1000' like some badass special ops dude in the movies". So although HALO is a standard term used, in the context of civilian skydiving I think he was suggesting the last part might better be "NO" - Normal Opening.

I think spikes is just asking about the definition of HALO. The opening is "Low" as opposed to right after exit (or what exactly does it imply?), but it doesn't mean "suck it down to 1000' like some badass special ops dude in the movies". So although HALO is a standard term used, in the context of civilian skydiving I think he was suggesting the last part might better be "NO" - Normal Opening.

Well, "low opening" never meant 1000'. But if I understand your reply he made up an acronym, and used it to ask his question?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Anywhere to do this near the west coast?

The FAA used to contract with some Air Force bases to provide training to civilians, but that program appears to have been suspended, so the only option I'm aware of now is at the FAA's training center in Oklahoma City. (I had hoped to do the training up at Beale AFB, but when I looked into it, the program was suspended, and now it appears to have been discontinued).

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, "low opening" never meant 1000'. But if I understand your reply he made up an acronym, and used it to ask his question?

Matt

Sounds like it. Remember, we're talking someone with 24 jumps... maybe doesn't know that HALO is in contrast to HAHO (e.g., straight out the door), not in contrast to a "typical" skydiving opening altitude.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah thanks~

I just try and use correct words for the situation and when some one says "Halo" jump im thinking of a guy/girl (got to say non sexest these days) getting out at 30,000 ft and pulling at the last second trying to get under radar.

But yeah i have seen several drop zones offer this to experenced divers. Looks like a lot of fun! The high altitude part not the "trying to get under radar".

Anyone try this with a squirl suit (wing suit)?
Cheers

Jon W

Yeah thanks~

I just try and use correct words for the situation and when some one says "Halo" jump im thinking of a guy/girl (got to say non sexest these days) getting out at 30,000 ft and pulling at the last second trying to get under radar.

But yeah i have seen several drop zones offer this to experenced divers. Looks like a lot of fun! The high altitude part not the "trying to get under radar".

Anyone try this with a squirl suit (wing suit)?

It has been done several times with the company linked in this thread I think. Plus a few others have done it, a Golden Knight set a high alt/flight duration wing suit record a year or two ago and then there was a string of follow on jumps.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yeah thanks~

There's a problem with the theory of "pulling under the radar" if the acft is on radar and doesn't belong there to begin with.

McNasty can be>:( and do all kinds of stuff, like they did to the Korean 747.

One Jump Wonder

http://www.airborne-sys.com/pages/view/phaos

gonna see about grabbing one of these.

you really going to do that many HALO jumps to warrant buying the kit??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

http://www.airborne-sys.com/pages/view/phaos

gonna see about grabbing one of these.

Not going to happen. They do not sell to the public and or non governmental organizations. This is the general stance of all the manufacturers of oxygen life support equipment for military freefall, which is why what is out there is on e-bay, etc after it has been sold off via DRMO and someone has piecemealed it together. Even if they did sell to the public,unless you just won the lottery, I seriously doubt you have that much spare cash to spend on everything you would need.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

To do it correctly, as in physiologically sound and safe practices, not cutting corners, that is only half of the equipment you would need. You would also need the OXCON and hose(s) to pre breath off of while in the aircraft. You also would need to have all compatible equipment, the link you posted above is for the PHAOS system and the O2 mask you just referenced( Phantom) is made by a different manufacturer. You cannot use the two with each other as is, you would have to do some modification to either the OXCON and or the Phantom mask to make the two work together due to pressure differences the two each use. Likewise, you would need your bail out bottle to mask components to all be compatible.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sorry Lou. I realize they are two different systems. But after looking seems like the phantom is the newer kit. So the oxcon is the really expensive part correct? The helmet mask and bottle I can't imagine being more than a container. Guess calls will have to be made as to which system is in use by the DZ I'll use to make the jump.