leandercool

Breathing trough your SKIN during freefall??

"How do you breathe in freefall?

Breathing during freefall is not difficult in any way. Because of the pressure and high rate of speed, oxygen molecules will actually enter through your skin as well as your lungs until your parachute deploys."

http://www.wisconsin-skydiving.com/questions-about-wisconsin-skydiving.php

...what..?

Did this guy just run out of writing ideas? It doesn't matter how fast you go, the oxygen molecules will NEVER go through our thick skin. Right?
From 0 to 12.000 in 9 minutes

Find out. Go outside after it rains, & pick a worm up off of the driveway. Fling him straight up into the air. He'll be able to breath so long as his skin remains moist.

OK, don't really do that. Worms are people, too. Worms breath through their skin. So long as their skin is moist. Once it dries. They suffocate.

Are you trolling me? We're talking about humans here. Worms breath through their skin, yes... But do you? Don't think so.

It works both ways, a wetsuit used for SCUBA diving not only keeps your core warm but it seals IN the air to an extent so you can stay down longer.

Without a wetsuit the blood stays less oxygenated and you burn through a tank much quicker.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

No, no troll intended. I was just reciting a little trivia. Humans can't do that. Not even the guys who jump Naked. Better?

I've jumped nekked a few (read a bunch) of times, and I never remember breathing during the jumps at all. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

As a precaution, skydivers planning to jump naked cover their skin with SexWax to prevent hyperventilation.

SexWax treatment also reduces the build-up of static electricity. Otherwise, landing shock would quite literally be a shock as the electricity discharges on contact with the ground.

For aircraft, small antenna-like wires are attached to the trailing edge of the wings. These are static wicks, which wick off or dissipate the static electricity. Skydivers also use static wicks -- those tube-like devices attached to jumpsuit arms and legs. There is always a small amount of residual static electricity, though, and it is most visible on night jumps when landings produce an effect like fireflies.

Mark

As a precaution, skydivers planning to jump naked cover their skin with SexWax to prevent hyperventilation.

B| This is good information.

Do Not. I Repeat, Do Not cover your entire body. You could run into problems with hypoxia. Coupled with high altitwardo, it could deprive your body of needed oxogen, and lead to a build-up of excess hot air.

You must leave a patch on your belly uncovered. This allows for the exchange of necessary vapors. The size of this exposed area is directly related to your BMI. Although, if you are hirsute, you will need and additional few square inches to be safe! :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Not so much trollling, as there is no bunch of people as sarcastic as a group of skydivers. Hands down! B|

It's an acquired taste...kinda like Ramen noodles. :ph34r:

Yep, I've heard you can really pack those in. :P

Get a room you two!
Remster

Breathing during freefall is not difficult in any way. Because of the pressure and high rate of speed, oxygen molecules will actually enter through your skin as well as your lungs until your parachute deploys."

Back in the rec.skydiving days, there was a skydiving FAQ published. It was mostly legit FAQ that had this particular piece of almost believable bullshit as a question's answer. This, coupled with the dead woman in the movie Goldfinger, conned a good number of people into believing it. As a matter of fact, it was repeated by reputable (?) national news organizations. Maybe that's where this particular band of evil-doers got their information.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

You are all forgetting photosynthesis. Must cover your body with dark green broccoli juice and wear a clear plastic suit with a venting system to exhale into your suit. That way you will use your own CO2 and create your own oxygen. (Of course the trick is to get the oxygen from your green skin into your nose.)
Pease note: It won't work on a night jump, unless you outfit yourself with grow lights...there's always something...

You are all forgetting photosynthesis. Must cover your body with dark green broccoli juice and wear a clear plastic suit with a venting system to exhale into your suit. That way you will use your own CO2 and create your own oxygen. (Of course the trick is to get the oxygen from your green skin into your nose.)
Pease note: It won't work on a night jump, unless you outfit yourself with grow lights...there's always something...

But, if too many jumpers buy grow lights at the same place in too short a time, the feds might get interested. And, crap, we know that's never good :S
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I can't find the Mythbusters program to give the exact details but they tested the myth of the gold finger movie that the girl was killed by painting here entire body gold. Life is like school I guess and you always remember the answers you get wrong. They proved that painting the girls whole body would kill her because her skin could not breath. Surely I'm not the only one here that watches that crazy show. Perhaps some of you can find the james bond episode and give us the exact reasons why.

I can't find the Mythbusters program to give the exact details but they tested the myth of the gold finger movie that the girl was killed by painting here entire body gold. Life is like school I guess and you always remember the answers you get wrong. They proved that painting the girls whole body would kill her because her skin could not breath. Surely I'm not the only one here that watches that crazy show. Perhaps some of you can find the james bond episode and give us the exact reasons why.

Body temp gets too high

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'll bite. http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/goldfinger.asp

Mark