PWScottIV

Stolen Re-Programmed Cypress AADs May Fire Unexpectedly

I'm curious - are you being intentionally deceptive? The fatality you linked to wasn't coached on the jump in question by the person they are talking about in this thread.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Doesnt the rigger have to record the DOM so he will know when it has to be removed from your rig?

SN and DOM.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

what skydiver steals AAD's and thinks he can get somehow away with it!? what skydiver puts another skydiver at risk of killing themselves with said AAD's!?

speaks volumes for said skydiver.. as putting putting up for said skydiver does, IMO.

This is far from the first time someone has made off with a bunch of CYPRES units and sold them to unsuspecting jumpers. There was an instance of such theft here Fayettevile/Raeford, NC in 1995 or 1996. the 10 units "mysteriously disappeared" from the USAPT rigger loft. All of them ended up in Panama, were sold abroad, and were found to be stolen when the units were sent back for 4-year checks. SEVERAL active duty and retired US Army people got in a lot of trouble over this.

Chuck

the 10 units "mysteriously disappeared" from the USAPT rigger loft. All of them ended up in Panama, were sold abroad, and were found to be stolen when the units were sent back for 4-year checks. SEVERAL active duty and retired US Army people got in a lot of trouble over this.

Wow, SEVERAL people splitting the profits of 10 AAD's... doesn't sound very profitable. :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

what skydiver steals AAD's and thinks he can get somehow away with it!? what skydiver puts another skydiver at risk of killing themselves with said AAD's!?

speaks volumes for said skydiver.. as putting putting up for said skydiver does, IMO.

This is far from the first time someone has made off with a bunch of CYPRES units and sold them to unsuspecting jumpers. There was an instance of such theft here Fayettevile/Raeford, NC in 1995 or 1996. the 10 units "mysteriously disappeared" from the USAPT rigger loft. All of them ended up in Panama, were sold abroad, and were found to be stolen when the units were sent back for 4-year checks. SEVERAL active duty and retired US Army people got in a lot of trouble over this.

Chuck

doesnt change the fact that if a skydiver does this, that he's a lowlife fuck-nugget..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

"

Doesnt the rigger have to record the DOM so he will know when it has to be removed from your rig?

"

Better riggers write: AAD model, serial number, date of manufacture, last battery change and date of last factory inspection on the reserve packing data card.

They also note any Service Bulletins pertaining to the reserve canopy, harness or container.

If that requires three lines ... ho! hum! ... it is all part of documenting their work.

What skydiver buys an AAD that is priced seriously under market value and doesn't question it. Am I wrong to think that it is common knowledge that you can value these units down to the dollar. If I could get a Cypres several hundred dollars under FMV I would want to know what is wrong with it, or who it was stolen from

Now you're blaming the buyers for not questioning the price? Wow.

It's common knowledge in skydiving that 'professonals' sometimes get sponsorship in the form of discounted gear. Is Sunpath gives Ian Bobo a new rig every year, it keeps him in pretty, new gear, and then he gets to sell last year's rig to put some cash in his pocket.

So this guy, who fancies himself a 'big deal' wingsuiter has a Cypres for sale below market value, and you think the buyers are to blame for not questioning the source of the product?

Even people who don't know about gear-based sponsorship probably think that 'big deal' skydivers have it made, and can afford to sell below market cost. Beyond that, who would think that someone who was tyring to (or already had) make a name for themselves in skydiving would sell a stolen Cypres, complete with a serial number that a rigger would be soon recording onto the reserve repack card? You still want to blame the buyers?

In the end, the guy was arrested and charged with larceny. I think that's the final word as to who was right or wrong in the transaction.

Once again Lepka talks knowingly out his ass and yet doesn't have a clue. fYI...being sponsored does not mean you get "free" rigs to resell at your pleasure. In fact, a sponsored athlete is absolutely not allowed to sell the gear. It is theirs only to use and must be returned when getting new gear. Obviously Lepka knows nothing about "gear based sponsorship", but as usual, is happy to talk out his ass at great lengths on just about any subject one can imagine.

Justin is now posting on other threads on DZ.com - perhaps someone could point him here so he could explain everything a little clearer?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Justin is now posting on other threads on DZ.com - perhaps someone could point him here so he could explain everything a little clearer?

I expect that it is sub judice.

Edit: Or maybe not, since it's different in the US to the UK. Still, I'd rather be tried in a court of law than on here.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Still, I'd rather be tried in a court of law than on here.

Not if I know I'm guilty. In that case I'd much rather be tried on here than in any court of law. Of course, skydiving for me is a hobby. If it were my career and my life and friends revolved around skydiving then I might take the courts over this place.

Did anybody else notice the Aerodyne ad on the back cover of Parachutist this month?

:$

I understand publishing lead times and such.

It was still ironic.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

how do you relate this seller to the original person concerned ?

http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/images/ad_classifieds/8/253848-largest_296023_2389303532981_1262623195_32950783_4368390_n.jpg

that picture looks A LOT like justin..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

how do you relate this seller to the original person concerned ?

http://www.dropzone.com/classifieds/images/ad_classifieds/8/253848-largest_296023_2389303532981_1262623195_32950783_4368390_n.jpg

that picture looks A LOT like justin..

wtf guys.
That's Bryan. Local jumper here. Good guy.
Completely unrelated.
Sheesh.