Boeris

Wanna BASE HUCK or Skydive from a Paraglider!?!?

If you ever want to do BASE HUCK (or skydive HUCK) in the US, PLEASE go and sign this petition. This would also eliminate the ability to D-Bag a paraglider or speedwing from a tandem set up.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/tandem/

Sign it and get a hold of Flystyle if you want to DO IT! Thanks!

PS, We are looking for USHPA members (please put your USHPA #, but if not a member you may still sign it showing your support and interest in the sport).
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

To help the OP, this is what the petition is about -- the US Hang gliding and Paragliding Association want to ban jumps from paragliders.

I don't know the politics and haven't been an USHPA member in years, but it does smack a little of "not our true sport, we don't want to hear about it." Sort of like the antagonism BASE got from skydiving associations for many years.

I'm really vague on this, but just like the USPA, I think you don't HAVE to be a member or follow USHPA's rules.... but it is pretty tough in most places to participate in the sport without it.

At the Spring 2012 USHPA board meeting the tandem committee will be voting on this agenda item: "Revisit rule for 'not dropping people' and discuss making it a blanket rule." The current rule prohibits skydiving/jumping from a tandem glider at insured flying sites, and the proposed "blanket rule" would apply to both insured and non-insured flying sites. By signing this petition you are letting the tandem committee know that you oppose the "blanket rule".

P.S. - it is one of those damn petitions where the online provider asks for a donation after one adds one's name to the list (with or without comments).
I believe one can just stop there and one is added to the petition list.

Probably but they would be at risk of losing their PG tandem ticket if one of the "enforcers" caught them.

Anyone can sign the petition, if you want to help keep the rule makers from denying you your sport or freedom of choice then consider making your voice heard. There are plenty of fun police out there waiting to take away everyone's perceived high-risk activity, solidarity between flying groups is a good way to prevent your discipline from being next.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Rob,

Jumping a single-parachute system from a paraglider usually isn't a skydive, that would need a reserve to be legitimate. It's not BASE either. But it isn't illegal or even unreasonable no matter what you want to call it. You pick a name for it, it doesn't matter. BTW it could easily be a skydive with that gear, I've seen tandem PG over 12K. Also seen PG-BASE under 400'. And a two-way PG-BASE from one PG at 10K, is that a trindem? What's a BASE rig jumping from a balloon called? I need another beer just to contemplate all this. Just sign the damn petition. If you want. Please. :)

My definition? Your interpretation but whatever. Call it a skydive with a BASE rig. I'm indifferent to the semantics. Freefalling anything off a cliff is obviously BASE. BTW you missed the tongue-in-cheek dig at the FAA. Jumping a single-parachute system from some aircraft could be illegal. :o Is a tethered balloon an aircraft? Is it a building, span, antenna or earth? Does anyone care? Have you signed the petition?

Hahahaa :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::D:D:D

You guys reckon petitions work as well? they don't.

And besides what stops you from doing a paraglider jump anyway? For starters paragliders towed can launch anywhere.

In the UK of all places, a bunch of guys I know used paramotors to traverse north to south in the UK. They managed to do it undercover and camp out of sight as well. With the UK being a small crowded island I don't see how doing it in the USA which has vast vast tracts of emptiness is going to be difficult.

Yes a person I know, offered to take me up and let me jump off in the UK. Won't mention any names, but I will NEVER complain about piston aircraft and C182s ever again. Takes ages to get up there. :S

P.S. - it is one of those damn petitions where the online provider asks for a donation after one adds one's name to the list (with or without comments).

Sadly expression of public opinion is now just another internet commodity, hijacked by entrepeneurs as a means to promote themselves and/ or make a fast buck :(. Online (com)petitions are something of a joke, I think. No matter that I sympathise with the cause - if I was on the USHPA board I'd scoff at the fact that a few thousand people (and/ or their scripted bots) had been mobilised to add names to a web page.

The upside of this is that making a little more effort makes you stand out from the crowd. I say if you want to be heard, write an email - or better still, a letter.