eyeinthesky

why doesnt everyone use an AAD?

In the case of physical incapacitation while conscious, like a dislocated shoulder which I had last year, it is very easy to land your canopy with one working arm. In my case I was flying a Racer with no CYPRES.

A full dislocation on both arms will make pulling your handles almost impossible. You can only flex your biceps in that case, and you need your shoulder muscles like your rear deltoids to get the hackey or the d-ring out. A CYPRES will most likely be the only way to survive. In my case.. had that jumper who went vertical also had a good grip on my left arm and pulled it out of whack too... I would not be here typing this now because I would have bounced. [:/]

In my case, it was just a 2-way that ripped my right shoulder out of its socket. Incapacitation can happen on ANY dive, even on a solo. My DZ lost a camera flyer a few years ago over this scenario. He owned multiple rigs, one with a Cypres and the rest without. Guess which rig he was flying that day...

[:/]

In the case of physical incapacitation while conscious, like a dislocated shoulder which I had last year, it is very easy to land your canopy with one working arm.

Please be careful with what you're saying. It would suck for someone to take what you said at face value and then try to follow your lead when they're deep in the beeps. Deciding whether to unstow brakes is gonna be canopy/situation dependent. The ability to unstow brakes is gonna depend on a few things too (e.g. riser length). The safety of landing a high-performance main without a flare or with a 1 handed flare is marginal at best. I encourage everyone to give serious thought about their procedures for such an emergency, and if they come up with any questions, to practice their proposed solutions while there is no emergency (i.e. fake a dislocated shoulder.)

In my case I was flying a Racer with no CYPRES.

What was your canopy and wingloading?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

ok so we all can agree that it's a personal choice.
what about the scuttlebutt i have heard that a few drop zones are going with a rule NO AAD NO JUMP. and what happens when someone in USPA decides this sounds like a good rule.

THIS THREAD IS BEING HIJACKED IN THE NAME OF ALLAHA!!!:P

I am the light my son...What you seek is fire

There are about 5 DZ's that require AAD's to jump at their DZ. No big deal... its their business and its no different them them saying you have to have 200 jumps before you can land on the airport, or even no round canopies, no canopies over a certian wingloading or you can only jump pink and purple gear. If you don't like the policy of the DZ... don't go there, its that simple.

In order for the USPA to make AAD's manditory it has to be approved via the BOD (see why its important to vote?), and there are currently a lot more on the BOD that will sooner strike you down then pass something that requires AAD's on all jumpers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>what about the scuttlebutt i have heard that a few drop zones are
> going with a rule NO AAD NO JUMP. and what happens when
> someone in USPA decides this sounds like a good rule.

I heard that too, and an even more scary rumor. Why, I heard that someone with 75 jumps showed up at a DZ with a 97 sqft canopy - and they wouldn't let him jump it! Imagine that - a USPA member with a perfectly airworthy rig, denied access to a drop zone due to the arbitrary rule some power-hungry DZO made. What happens when someone at USPA decides to prohibit all 97 square foot canopies?

At a few DZ's where I jump AAD's are required. No AAD no jump. Doesn't matter what experiance level you are at.
Besides I did see a save from an AAD - I know that person thought the investment was worth it.
Just consider an AAD as another part of the rig you need for jumping.
On and on...
blue skies and safe landings

Next thing you know,
they ban swooping altogether

A TEN YEAR OLD thread....Really?? :S
Might be interesting to see if anyone's opinions have changed over the last 10 years. There's been a lot more saves in that time, one of them a friend of mine.
Might also be interesting to see if anyone would own up to a changed mind:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Might be interesting to see if anyone's opinions have changed over the last 10 years.

Mine hasn't...;)

Neither have your socks.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Might be interesting to see if anyone's opinions have changed over the last 10 years.

Mine hasn't...;)

Neither have your socks.

Or your hair style.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

They're expensive and I can use the money to buy the better part of a base rig :P

Gotta ask...Which is the better part of a BASE rig ? If you just get the container, you won't be jumping off more than a 5 ft. exit point...If you just buy the canopy....well, I guess you could just hold on to the connector links, and try to kite it.....while standing on the ground. I'd say they are both the better part....when used and attached together.....:S....Don't forget to bring your pilot chute and bridle along....:P

Life is short ... jump often.

I have one rig with and one w/o

the one w/o is my "spare".. I'd like to get one, but $ is the biggest obstacle right now. hard to justify the greater cost for a low time use rig.. yeah, I know, my life is worth it..
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930