lintern

I found out that its not safe to 'bury the toggle' and do more than one 360° spiral...

I'm questioning if I can even stall it, ... I've done some pretty hard turns on this canopy... I think I'll stop due to fear of passing out before I get this thing to do a turning stall ;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm questioning if I can even stall it, ... I've done some pretty hard turns on this canopy... I think I'll stop due to fear of passing out before I get this thing to do a turning stall ;)

We are under the same wingloading at not too different sizes (yours is bigger), so that may be true (caution, caution), it depends on canopy. I know my former 230 was a big boat enough for me that hard turns didn't cause problems on that...

But under a 190 (bigger than my current 710), I spun myself into linetwists (minor ones, but...) just simply by turning 90 right... then turning 90 left in the opposite direction too quickly. Now if I am doing abrupt S-turning tests at high altitude, I monitor line tension.

I think I could probably easily spin myself into linetwists just by yankng a toggle down then letting it up suddenly. Never tried so dramatically under my 170, but I did get the line tension down dramatically a few times (not slack, but almost...) in intentional aggressive turn tests at play altitude, no linetwists, and the canopy was still above me, but that definitely taught me at least a thing or two about the limits of my canopy...

Yeah you can stall your canopy. Do a hop and pop, grab a couple extra feet of brake line above both toggles and pull real hard. You can even make your canopy collapse back into itself.

Do the above in a turn with just one toggle might be more, uh, interesting. Haven't tried that yet, think I'll pass on it too as I only have 1 hook knife on my rig and a manuever like that might require 2 or 3 of them :)

Yea, I dont do rapid S-turns for that reason, I knew of the line twist possibilities from doing that... The thing I want to see is if I can get my canopy to stall from doing too much of a turn, and if so what it takes to cause that.. It esecially caught my attention when someone mentioned seeing someone else do that on 90 degree turns on their landing patterns, I've done some pretty hard turns on my landing patterns not even thinking about the canopy stalling..

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Come on! I can fly in full brakes as long as I want to.
I've heard your advice for student canopies already.

What advice for student canopies?
I'm just telling you that if you want to stall your canopy, student canopy or not, using toggles, taking a wrap or 2 will do it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No it's not strange really. There's no rule saying you should be able to stall your canopy with toggles ;) Actually NOT being able to stall them sounds better to me, because you can't do it by accident (esp students) and you're brake lines are probably long enough that you can use your front risers without braking at the same time. As long as you can flare the canopy to a standstill on a no-wind day, your breaklines are not too long :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>I've done dozens at a time under a FX86 at 2.2 with no problems.

As have I under a 2.2 to 1 loaded Xaos-27. You can safely spiral any canopy but you _cannot_ just pull one toggle all the way down hard and expect things to work out well, unless your canopy is very very large (i.e. a Navigator or some such.)