SlackBeef

Experienced jumper as student

if you were to force yourself to do front flip/barrel roll hard out the door instrutor might lose you, than if i were on main side chance of your pc coming out at 10k at any body postion is high.

Have fun someone pulling you out at 10k on your back/side spinning while trying to lose your affi.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

As an AFF-I, if you got anywhere near the door without one of us holding on to you or if you got past both of us and out the door, I'd be shocked.

Hey, it can happen to the best of them. I know it was only a static line jump but Charlie Sheen let one get past him. ;)

That wasn't Charlie Sheen, That was Ditch Brodie, (The Flying Penis);)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Now this has been done in a tunnel environment with new instructor trainees (military). It is funny as hell and in a reletively safe environment (low winds).

By that time they SHOULD REALIZE that you are an EXPERIENCED JUMPER and one of 2 things can happen. They catch you and deploy your main or JOIN IN on the skydive.

:S
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I don't think its a good idea at all, for the reasons everyone else has given.

However, one time I did go along with a friend who wanted to do a first jump (SL) in the UK, and sat at the back of the class. The instructor didn't know I was a skydiver.

The experience was eye opening. The chief instructor was an arrogant, ignorant incompetant ass. He actually abused me in front of the class when I declined his invitation to join the class, calling me a wimp and a coward. I gritted my teeth and took it.....

On the second day of training, I sat with the students, and one of his Jumpmasters ( who I owned up to) at 8 a.m. at the airfield waiting for him to show up to complete the harness drills. We got tired of waiting so I took over and spent 3 hours running them through their EP's.

He finally showed up at 12 o'clock, by which time they were ready to jump. At that point he realised he'd made a dick of himself, and came fawning around offering me his rig...

It took the rest of the day for him to get 12 students out the door on their first jump, and this on a beautiful sunny day with no wind and plenty of slots in the A/C.

They could easily have done 2 or 3 jumps each, and a few of them wanted to, but he never made the offer....

If I had my way he would have lost every rating he held. The guy was a grade A dolt. Needless to say he wasn't really happy when I told him what I thought of him....

Attending a first jump course, without identifying yourself can be very revealing....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Attending a first jump course, without identifying yourself can be very revealing....

Yes, but to what end? We already know that there are waaaaaay too many idiot AFFIs out here.

I've attended FJCs at several DZs but I always identified myself as an AFFI and explained why I wanted to sit in....to possibly learn something that would improve my own FJC.

I think the OPs idea of a joke is just that ...a joke. And I'm surprised to learn that an experience AFFI has already done it. Stupid.

Yeah...while the bozo faker is in there making a fool of himself, he'd be taking time away from the legitimate students. I'd be pissed that he stabbed them in the back for a stupid-ass joke.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yes, but to what end? We already know that there are waaaaaay too many idiot AFFIs out here.

As soon as you identify yourself the dynamic changes. I wanted to see the instructors as they really were.

Any of these "idiot AFFI's" you mention out there, need to be outed.

To what end?.

Purely to see the Instructors in action without them "modifying" their delivery.

I did it to make sure my friend was partaking in an activity that was organised and run by people who cared about what they were doing.

That turned out to not be the case. In the instance I quoted, I was very close to advising the whole class after the first day to go somewhere else, but having already forked out their cash I thought it would be a battle to get it back off the ass.

The reason I took the class through their EPs properly, apart from him not showing up on time, was to make sure they at least had the skills to save themselves on the jump, should EPs be required...

I will do the same with another friend who wants to do a jump in the next month or so.

If I am putting the lives of my friends or family in the hands of others, they better have their act together.

And yes, I would prefer to learn something new as well.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I did my 300th jump on a staticline, just because i wanted to do something fun and there was a competition going so no one had time to jump with me.

The JM knew me of course. First SL student: ready? yes Go. Second SL student: ready? yes Go. Me: I just got about tossed out the door. And managed my best stable SL exit ever too :D

The FS4 team that was sitting behind us was from another DZ, they went wide-eyed at my "treatment" :ph34r: I'm not sure what was said in the plane after my exit, but knowing that JM he made the most of it.

The jump after that, I was gearing up and my own rig was a 150sqft. 2 members of said team came to check up on me, to see if I put on the right rig. Very good of them B| that they were paying attention like that, and good that I set them straight before they went and spread rumours about student treatment at my DZ :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

One of the experienced jumpers at our DZ came up with an idea like this, I don't think they ever did it though. Have the S/L students gear up, walk around the building, then have experienced jumpers complete with student rigs & radios dressed in cover-alls, climb in the plane to replace them. The DZO/GCI would go nuts, all of his students 'Left toggle'! 'No! Your OTHER left toggle!! Right! No, wait, LEFT toggle!! Jumper #1, where the hell are you going????!!!"

It woulda been funny at first, but we'd have all been grounded, so saner heads prevailed, lol.

Around the bonfire I once jokingly talked about doing some CRW under mantas while dressed up as students, to tease the Instructor on duty at the LZ. See how much points we could make before he caught on.

Then, a few months later, I witnessed a real near miss on a DZ I was visiting.
Two students, who started shashaying on final and bumped end cells below 250 ft. One then made a larger shashay and, slowing down, then bumped into the other student directly from behind.
At that point I turned my head away, closed my eyes and waited for the sound of breaking bones....
Miraculously both students landed unharmed, much to the relief of everyone who saw it happen.

But suddenly, the above joke about teasing an instructor with student-CRW didn't seem so funny after all.:|
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

As soon as you identify yourself the dynamic changes. I wanted to see the instructors as they really were.... Purely to see the Instructors in action without them "modifying" their delivery.

Yes. There's something to be said for that, I agree....IF you are there observing and not participating.

Any of these "idiot AFFI's" you mention out there, need to be outed.

I agree wholeheartedly...but with first an eye towards improving them.

I applaud your concern and going the extra mile to help them. Personally, I just don't participate and take up the real student's time. I only observe.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239