likestojump

Dangerous cutaway parachute ... (article)

interesting article http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/moreton/emergency-services-called-as-stray-parachute-lands-in-redcliffe-carpark-just-missing-pedestrians/story-fn8m0yu3-1226248341642

a bit overdramatized...

"However, all three witnesses felt the parachute, with its metal fastenings, came down fast and it took two of them to carry it off the roadway."

- Duh...Probably because of the amount of material, not because of the weight ...

Amazing that the freebag was so close. Don't know if it was good or bad luck that it landed next to bimbo journalists though.

The really stupid bit was the comment below that skydiving is an extremely safe sport.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Think there's a Skyhook on that bridle. So maybe everything did come down together.

A spring loaded PC or rings on a riser could give someone a pretty good smack on the head if they were unlucky enough to be hit. We don't usually think about any risk from jettisoned gear, especially for those of us not jumping over or next to populated areas.

my one and only cutaway as of today, my freebag landed 10 meters besides my touchdown; main was about 150 meters away. i didnt have to search for it, it was all brought to me. yes, i was shaking that bad! B|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Used to be, we could rely on Aussies to show the rest of us some common sense...... seems that those days are on the wane......

Using the words dick-head and journalist in the same sentence is a waste of time. :S:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

My local DZ did have a case of someone being injured (albeit very mildly) by a cutaway tandem canopy. It landed in his garden, and if I remember rightly one of the risers/ rings caught him in the eye. He must have chosen the wrong time to look up!

We shouldn't just dismiss the impact that cutaways and off-landings can have on non-jumpers. Of course we try to avoid them for our own safety, but we're not the only stakeholders. Imagine a chopped canopy draping itself over a car travelling at speed. It'd be a freak occurence, I know - but it would be a pretty serious issue! :o

I remember just a few years ago at a major DZ there was a guy fishing on the nearby river.

Someone cutaway and then threw the reserve ripcord. It come down right on top the guy's head. A bit of damage as I recall.

Try getting hit square in the middle of the head with a metal handle ripcord that fell from about a thousand feet.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.