NvyZero

Ruined my instructors 1000th jump

I was doin aff level 7 this past weekend and it was my graduation jump and my instructors 1000th. The jump went fine got my first kiss pass! Under canopy though there was no wind I overshot my landing area! I could have outted myself into a field but I was worried I'd hit the the fence. So I thought I would land near the the swoop course. But over shot that, landed in a full parking lot made of gravel. I stood up the landing on my first jump with a sabre 2 190. I scared a lot of people and got grounded for the rest of the day! I was pissed at myself for ruining my instructors 1000th jump more than anything b/c I know she will never get it back. Any thoughts on how to make it up to her? Already bought a shitload of beer for that landing.

I passed lvl 7 the next day!

Buy beer for landing in the parking lot. Don't buy beer for your instructor's double-O jump. She should buy beer for that. Gold wings exemption doesn't exist!

Brush off the feeling that you "ruined" it. If she's a decent jumper, she'll laugh about it and the two of you will laugh about it together later. My old static-line JMs and I laugh about goofy stuff like that now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You didn't ruin your instructor's 1000th jump. You lived, you walked away from the jump, you learned, you bought beer. That sounds like a happy ending to me.

And now she has a good story to tell -- what could be better?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I was doin aff level 7 this past weekend and it was my graduation jump and my instructors 1000th. The jump went fine got my first kiss pass! Under canopy though there was no wind I overshot my landing area! I could have outted myself into a field but I was worried I'd hit the the fence. So I thought I would land near the the swoop course. But over shot that, landed in a full parking lot made of gravel. I stood up the landing on my first jump with a sabre 2 190. I scared a lot of people and got grounded for the rest of the day! I was pissed at myself for ruining my instructors 1000th jump more than anything b/c I know she will never get it back. Any thoughts on how to make it up to her? Already bought a shitload of beer for that landing.

You lived and you didn't get injured.
You made a genuine mistake (i.e: not dumb or intentional).

How did you ruin it for her?

(oh and you probably bought extra beer too!) B|

Hugs & Cheers!
Shc

You are in NO WAY responsible for your instructors 1000th jump. It's just another jump.
If she didnt want to do a work jump for her 1000th she could have stepped down.

You jumped you lived you learned. SUCCESS
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Your instructor sucked your face for the first time and you didn't end up in the hospital. Her day was made.

Just to be sure, get her something nice for being so awesome. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi N-Z!!!!"",
Hahaahhahahahhah!!! You didn't screw up anything!!! So ya' missed a couple of good landing areas but the clincher was," Stand up!! in the peagravel parking lot 'ON' your "First! jump on the Saber 190!!!!" Hell that's HOT!! I have a Stiletto 190 and believe me there is no substitute for lots of square feet of nylon above you!!! You are welcome on any of my skydives!! Jeeeez, back when trying to do a "Stand up landing" under a 28' 7-TU would get you two broke ankles!!!!! That's why we got taught PLF's!!
BTW 'ya might buy a case for your first standup under the 190 but yer instructor's 1000'th was a case on it's own regardless of the outcome of the skydive, 'ya walked away under your own power without the beniefit of an ambulance ('Bofya'!!) Good job!!
BTW#2 So ya' found out that those ZP Big canopies have a "Lot More" Glide than the rust bucket slug student rigs, interestin' aint it??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi N-Z!!!!"",
Hahaahhahahahhah!!! You didn't screw up anything!!! So ya' missed a couple of good landing areas but the clincher was," Stand up!! in the peagravel parking lot 'ON' your "First! jump on the Saber 190!!!!" Hell that's HOT!! I have a Stiletto 190 and believe me there is no substitute for lots of square feet of nylon above you!!! You are welcome on any of my skydives!! Jeeeez, back when trying to do a "Stand up landing" under a 28' 7-TU would get you two broke ankles!!!!! That's why we got taught PLF's!!
BTW 'ya might buy a case for your first standup under the 190 but yer instructor's 1000'th was a case on it's own regardless of the outcome of the skydive, 'ya walked away under your own power without the beniefit of an ambulance ('Bofya'!!) Good job!!
BTW#2 So ya' found out that those ZP Big canopies have a "Lot More" Glide than the rust bucket slug student rigs, interestin' aint it??

Where's the "like" button?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I was wondering why kiss passes are being thrown on an AFF jump and curious as to why you would be jumping a Sabre 190? First thoughts are that you are a cute 115 pound female.

Can't speak to the canopy thing.

As for the kiss pass, relax. Can you really tell me there's a safety issue with lockin' lips for a second with a student on what many DZ's consider a graduation jump?

Really now. We have many major-league safety problems in this sport. Are you really trying to say a kiss pass with a level 7 student is one of them?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I was wondering why kiss passes are being thrown on an AFF jump and curious as to why you would be jumping a Sabre 190? First thoughts are that you are a cute 115 pound female.

As for the kiss pass, relax. Can you really tell me there's a safety issue with lockin' lips for a second with a student on what many DZ's consider a graduation jump?

Really now. We have many major-league safety problems in this sport. Are you really trying to say a kiss pass with a level 7 student is one of them?

My post mentioned nothing about the safety aspect. I just thought it seemed a bit unprofessional and the person said they landed off dz so the person doesnt have the situational awareness to do exciting things like pass a kiss...yet. They are still a student. Thats all I was getting at. Just stinks of the "cute girl at the DZ that gets whatever she wants." Even though it could have been a boy getting a kiss from the hot female instructor which would have contributed to him landing off. I couldnt care less. Just posting on the internet.

I thought I would land near the the swoop course. But over shot that, landed in a full parking lot made of gravel.

I was pissed at myself for ruining my instructors 1000th jump

Get over yourself (and landing the parking lot), you didn't ruin anything. At that point, the only things you were going to ruin anyway was the student rig or someones car, neither of which have anything to do with your instructors 1000th jump.

As mentioned, if she wanted to do something besides a student jump for her 1000th, that was her choice. As it was, she took the student jumps, and as an instructor with 1000 jumps, she knows what that means and how things 'might' turn out.

All that aside, what you described isn't a big deal. You had a good jump, and just overshot your landing on a new-to-you canopy. Get used to that sort of thing happening more and more as you move through the next 100 jumps or so. You'll be tyring new things, jumping new rigs and new canopies, and shit happens. The lesson you learned is why jumpers say that any landing (or jump) you can walk away from is a good one. It doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough not to injure you.

Ha, most AFFI's that I know will be proud that their student was able to land safely on the parking lot.... how many experienced jumpers can do it intentionally?:ph34r: So i would say that she owes you a beer ;)
When peoples get their AFFI they know what they signing up for.

The only bit I didn't think was cool was getting grounded.

Groundings have no point unless they are serious enough to be permanent. They just make people uncurrent.

Far better for you to get back in the air ASAP and work on your canopy control.

Grounding a student for whst you did says more about the instructors at your DZ, than it does about you. I'm not impressed with them.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

My post mentioned nothing about the safety aspect. I just thought it seemed a bit unprofessional and the person said they landed off dz so the person doesnt have the situational awareness to do exciting things like pass a kiss...yet. They are still a student. Thats all I was getting at. Just stinks of the "cute girl at the DZ that gets whatever she wants." Even though it could have been a boy getting a kiss from the hot female instructor which would have contributed to him landing off. I couldnt care less. Just posting on the internet.

Well if you think the kiss pass shouldn't have been performed because the "person doesn't have the situational awareness to do exciting things like pass a kiss...yet", aren't you saying that's a safety issue?

And really now. You're saying the student landed off the DZ because the of "excitement" of a kiss pass?

You don't get kissed much, do you?

BTW, there's nothing unprofessional about superior customer service.

;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The only bit I didn't think was cool was getting grounded.
Groundings have no point unless they are serious enough to be permanent. They just make people uncurrent.
Far better for you to get back in the air ASAP and work on your canopy control.
Grounding a student for whst you did says more about the instructors at your DZ, than it does about you. I'm not impressed with them.

That's the part of the OP that grabbed me, too. What a dick move for simply having an imperfect landing approach on a student jump.

i disagree. i don't see anything wrong with telling a novice to take the rest of the day off after a particularly exciting jump to take some time to think about what happened.

+1

Yeah, well, offset that with my +1 to obelisktim's post , and I guess it's a wash.

Actually, since I feel strongly about it, mine was a +2, so you're still behind.

BTW, Tim's a current DZO with 30 yrs jumping and 4,000 jumps. FWIW.

He wasn't grounded for just one thing, and it was just for the afternoon. Sometimes someone needs to sit for a bit to get their head back into the game. If you weren't there, how can you decide whether it was appropriate? Do you have the information about all the other jumps he made that day? Or even about that specific jump? Or even what time it happened? How many loads did he really miss? Was it effective? How was his next jump?

Until you have spent a large amount of time instructing, you may not have learned that different people learn via different motivators. If someone wants to jump but keeps doing [the same] stupid shit, perhaps a short ride the bench is in order. If someone is scared, sometimes a little encouragement to get back in the air the same day is the best tool. We have a big bag of tools, and we pull out the ones that work best for the job at hand.

Now, if the OP was a different person with different motivators, perhaps a different tool would have been appropriate. In this case, a short grounding was an excellent tool for communicating the severity of his actions.

If you weren't there, how can you decide whether it was appropriate?

I based my opinion on the same things obelisktim based his on. No, I wasn't there, but I've been around skydiving, and DZs, and students, and DZOs, and reasonable groundings, and dick moves by DZOs, long enough to have a sense about it, just as Tim does.

But whatever. I'm moving on.