J0nathan

Random question

hi
i just had a random idea, is it possible to hold onto a skydiver whilst he opens his parachute or would you get ripped away ?

i think it should be possible if the skydiver who first opens his parachute jumps a quite big one and has it packed so it is a slow and gentle opening.

of course a problem would be that the straps would have to be a bit lose in order for the other skydiver to hold on to the first one...

another problem would be that the guy/girl thats holding onto the first one might breake fingers due to the rapid deceleration on opening and the force on the hands.

dont worry i am not thinking about trying this (at least not yet,maby when i have more experience :P ), just wanted to know if possible, i googled it but didnt get any usefull results.

the idea would be to hold onto the other skydiver in the plane at exit => jump => stabilize => first guy opens chute => freefall stops => and then second skydiver jumps and has like 2 skydives in one :D. but the first skydiver should open quite high in case anything goes wrong and in order for the second skydiver to have enough time.

Unless it's a Mr Bill it ain't possible. Very experienced folks around here tried it for a TV feature about skydiving myths and didn't succeed on that one.
If ya intend to do a Mr Bill, ask instructors, have 200+ jumps etc pp - it's not an easy thing to do if it shall be safe.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

" it's not an easy thing to do if it shall be safe. "

what if instead of jumping and the stabilising you use a static line on one parachute ? wouldnt that be easier/safer ?

We do them around here using the IAD method.

Even then, you both better be fookin strong.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

is it hard to do ?

Not hard to do.... easy to get horribly wrong though (I can still hear that guy yelling "Chop iiiit! CHOP IIIIIT!" and I haven't watched the video in years).

is ther like a min requirement to try this ?

More like a maximum... I think there's a zone in jump numbers after you have the confidence to attempt it, but before you have the sense not to.

(I'm not saying it doesn't happen - just a tendency I've noticed :P)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

is it hard to do ?

Not hard to do.... easy to get horribly wrong though (I can still hear that guy yelling "Chop iiiit! CHOP IIIIIT!" and I haven't watched the video in years).

More like a maximum... I think there's a zone in jump numbers after you have the confidence to attempt it, but before you have the sense not to.

+1 I need to update my numbers, 700 jumps and 10 years, there is no way I would try that. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

is it hard to do ?

Love that! :D:D

But wait a minute here!
Why a maximum of two?

I'm visualizing a string of jumpers hanging on...somewhat like a tube exit or a magic carpet all hanging under one canopy!

OK, guys...j/k
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ah heck, never provide someone knows what you assume they should know...
A Mr Bill - at least here in Germany - is referred to one experienced TI with a tandem rig and another experienced skydiver with his sport rig, attached to the TI who opens at proper altitude (usually 10000 ft) and then you got to get these hooks unhooked and fall from the TI and open your sport chute at proper altitude. J

ust to make clear what I wrote about :$

tried one with my buddy, had a deployment delay and when it opened we both got slammed. i was bruised on my shoulders for a week and he "felt like he had fallen from ten feet onto his hands" not to mention i was open at 11k after he had fallen off haha. also you have to be careful that the hanger doesnt strip your cutaway and reserve handle if they get ripped off.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

tried one with my buddy

Nice to hear both of you got away more or less unscathed :)But you most definitely did not do it with a tandem rig, provided the details on your profile?
As I said before, I'd never do it with just two sports rigs, way too many risks. Even when you do it with two experienced persons (means: TI 1000+ of which 250+ tandem and other 300+ at least) and the equipment mentioned in my earlier post it's not child's play.

Yeah in North America a Mr. Bill normally implies two sport rigs.
But it has been done hooked up as a tandem passenger with sport rig, if you have a DZO that doesn't mind you renting his very expensive gear to do stupid stuff on, something that might not quite fit the user agreement he signed with the company he equips his DZ with...

there used to be a video on the internets called Mr ted. it started off with a Mr Bill but the jumper holding climbed on to the canopy pilots shoulders and stayed on untill they were about 10 feet AGL. then jumped off and executed perfect PLF with no injuries to either jumper

there used to be a video on the internets called Mr ted. it started off with a Mr Bill but the jumper holding climbed on to the canopy pilots shoulders and stayed on untill they were about 10 feet AGL. then jumped off and executed perfect PLF with no injuries to either jumper

A Bit like the one posted above in this thread perhaps? Post 14 :)

I tried it once years ago. I learned a couple of things, one wear long pants and long sleeves. Two, don't do that again regardless of clothing.

Here's an interesting one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtCwvZaDB4

I was about 20ft away from that landing. A-Mazing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A Bit like the one posted above in this thread perhaps? Post 14 :)

thats funny i have been looking for that video for a while now.
I remember the video having more talking in it and naming the jump MR Ted. Just curious who were the jumpers in that video and what are they up to now?