mobbik

tragic weekend for skydiving...

I'm just a newbie, but IMHO I still believe this is a relatively safe sport if you practice what you have learned, keep learning and don't push the envelope. Unless a person becomes a introverted hermit...Risk is everywhere.
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

I'm just a newbie, but IMHO I still believe this is a relatively safe sport if you practice what you have learned, keep learning and don't push the envelope. Unless a person becomes a introverted hermit...Risk is everywhere.

'Relatively safe' is not an accurate term in the big picture. . . I would caution you regarding that mind-set.

Yes the sport is safer than it was when I started, and hopefully it will be a safer sport as time goes on...but make no mistake, this IS a dangerous endeavor.

We are constantly inventing new & exciting ways to hurt & kill ourselves & each other...that's real.

Our intelligent participation requires both understanding & accurate assessment of the risks then thoughtfully weighing the reward.

It's without question a wonderful experience, and odds are you won't ever take a high speed planet to the face.

...however the 'safer' one thinks it is, the less vigilant they're likely to be in recognizing the risks and avoiding as many of them as possible.

That's just human nature.

I'm not saying this is 'you', but thinking skydiving is 'relatively safe' can lead to a certain amount of complacency... that's not where you want to be.
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi

Depends on where you jump at and what kind of jumping your doing.

The golden rule of "do no harm to others " has been broken, the bigger the planes, the more people in the air, different sized canopies.

You can still do everything right and get taken out by someone else. The mid air:(

To the OP: One weekend doesn't make a season
Come back in 6 month's.
One Jump Wonder

I know it does not make a season and i know and understand the risks.It was just an observation that there were many things that went very bad on one weekend.

It's not uncommon for there to be little "waves" of unrelated but nearly-simultaneous incidents. Often it's at the beginning of the good weather season, or during the holiday event season, but sometimes it's just random clustering.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I know it does not make a season and i know and understand the risks.It was just an observation that there were many things that went very bad on one weekend.

On average in America, one skydiver dies every other weekend. Think about that while driving to the drop zone in the morning - it could be YOUR day.

Then again, about 100 people per day die in traffic accidents, so hurry up and get your ass off the road and to the drop zone where your odds are better.

It is a relatively safe sport as long as you always realize how incredibly dangerous it is, particularly under 1000 ft.

lol thats an unrealistic comparison. if we spent the same amount of time actually skydiving (take off to landing) as we did in a car as well as having the same number of people participating in skydives as we did driving on the road, id imagine the results would be vastly different. people cant compare driving and skydiving. when an accident happens in a car you have a seat belt, air bag, metal frame around you so your odds of survival are higher than if you encounter an accident in skydiving.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

I guess I meant to downplay the fear part. IMHO fear puts a person in a position where they don't think clearly and are afraid to try anything new. No question this is a dangerous sport. In my short skydiving career...I have personally seen ankle breaks, a broken neck and a person end up in a wheelchair for life.
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

lol thats an unrealistic comparison. if we spent the same amount of time actually skydiving (take off to landing) as we did in a car as well as having the same number of people participating in skydives as we did driving on the road, id imagine the results would be vastly different. people cant compare driving and skydiving. when an accident happens in a car you have a seat belt, air bag, metal frame around you so your odds of survival are higher than if you encounter an accident in skydiving.

It was tongue in cheek.

Go to motorcycles then. 50 times more likely to die on one of them than a car.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

A blood vessel can pop in your head whilst slobbing out on the sofa watching re-runs on tellie.

You can jump out of a plane , do everything right and get hit by someone else... whoops

or and this is the vast majority of cases... you can jump out of a plane with some mates, have fucking good time, all land safely and enjoy a few warm beers --- PERFICK

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome