adamqbishop

RSL/NO RSL?

I fly x-braced anything from velo, vs to xaos loaded anywhere between 2.1 to 2.5

I fly camera sometimes.

I have rsl, and my belief is that worst thing you get out of rsl is massive linetwist, which is far easier to clear on a square reserve parachute vs highly loaded x-brace.

having linetwisted reserve is far better option than missing a handle or losing track of alti and going in.

My last cutaway, linetwist/something. I barely used all of my energy to get my belly into the wind before chopping. although I was getting flung across the sky sideways, my reserve came out straight without linetiwst. Oddest feeling of deployment tho, seeing horizon perfectly in a 90 degree manner. I thought I beat rsl but didn't.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

my belief is that worst thing you get out of rsl is massive linetwist

This belief is not correct.

They save more lives than they take, but please don't ignore that they add complexity and HAVE contributed or even flat out caused injuries and fatalities.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

name some, that went fatal or sustained injury due to rsl.

I've know atleast two people with in my time, 6 years, that would've been saved if it was for rsl.

And I know people that had issues DUE to an RSL. If you think they are perfect and have not caused issues.... You are uninformed.

And those people who were 'saved' by an RSL... Why didn't they pull the reserve?

Date Location Category Age # Jumps AAD?/RSL?
1/30/1997 Taupo, New Zealand MAL,DMAL? 35 2500 ?/Y
Description: After cutting away from a malfunction, it appears one riser hung up, while the side with the RSL released, casuing the reserve to deploy between the remaining riser. This riser then seperated, and the main ending up choking off the reserve. The pair decended on the partially inflated main which was caught on the wholly uninflated reserve.
Lessons:Some of the above is speculation, but it's a good reminder to perform your three ring maintenance regularly. If you don't know what I'm referring to, you should talk to your local rigger. In a nutshell, disconnect your main, flex the webbing of the three ring, clean the yellow cable with a dry cloth, (for metal housings) lightly oil the cable, reconnect the main, perform a line check, and pack it.

How about this one?
6/22/1997 Umatilla, FL MAL? 42 7500 Y?/Y
Description: At the end of a normal tandem skydiver, the student pulled the ripcord at about 5500 feet. The left main riser broke, which in turn activated the reserve static line lanyard (RSL). The RSL immediately pulled the reserve ripcord cables while the right-hand main riser was still attached. The reserve pilot chute and free-bag cleared, but the reserve canopy entangled with the spinning main. The main was then cut away, but failed to clear the reserve. The student survived the landing, the JM did not. The Master 425 main was equipped Dacron with suspension lines. The type VII risers were manufactured in May 1996 and had the new heavy duty 3-rings. The rings were properly positioned during drogue fall, and appeared normal. The type VII webbing broke about 1" above the lower end; the type IV holding the small ring broke just below the grommet. Neither of the two rings from the left riser were recovered, nor was the cutaway handle or the reserve ripcord. All equipment was less than three years old and in good condition. Instructor and student total weight was about 380 pounds.
Lessons:Perhaps a defective riser?

Heres another
7/12/2000 Elsinore, CA DMAL 27 Y/Y
Description: The Navy was at Elsinore training Seals; they had their own instructors and their own equipment. At the time of this report, no detailed analysis of the rig has yet been made. This report is based on preliminary examinations and eyewitness accounts. The student ( training under the Navy's equivalent of AFF) deployed his main normally at around 4500 feet. During the main deployment the RSL somehow deployed his reserve which then entangled in the main. Someone supposedly had seen that his main was square and apparently flyable while the reserve was completely fouled and entangled in his main lines. No one directly witnessed the incident while the student was between 4000 and 2500 feet. Somewhere during that interval the student apparently cutaway his main which then collapsed and remained entangled with his fouled reserve. It was believed that if he had not cutaway, he may have been able to land relatively safely on his main. The reserve was apparently NOT deployed by his CYPRES: the preliminary examination revealed a kink in the reserve ripcord where the RSL must have pulled against it while it was still under tension from the closing loop. As soon as the rig is released by the coroner more detailed examinations are going to happen by the DZO, the USPA, the rig manufacturer and the Navy. It is unknown at this time what pulled the RSL, it may have been improperly routed and was pulled on line stretch, or it may have been caught by a toggle. It is also unknown if this type of malfunction is particular to this type of rig or is an industry-wide concern. The Navy has stood down their training and grounded all of their equipment until more is known about the true cause of the incident.
Lessons:Dual canopy out malfunctions are nasty. Discuss appropriate procedures with a local instructor. Cutting away from an inflated main when the reserve fouled is not a recommended course of action.

One that can show the drawbacks of an RSL.
9/22/2001 Picton, Australia DMAL 34 360 ?/Y
Description: After a camera jump, this jumper experienced spinning line twists on his Stilleto 135. He was unable to clear them and cutaway at perhaps 1800'. His reserve (an Airforce 120) opened (via RSL, though reserve handle was also pulled roughly simultaneously) slider-up with line twists, and he impacted in a spin still trying to kick out of the twists. The reserve was very highly loaded, at 1.7 lb/ft^2. Video review of the incident shows that the deceased may have been kicking the wrong direction to get the reserve to untwist, and was not observed to be pulling the risers apart to aid the untwisting.
Lessons:There is some reason to believe that pausing briefly after cutting away from a seriously spinning malfunction can aid in reserve deployment. However, pausing also eats up valuable altitude, which is also an increased risk. An RSL removes your choice in this matter, but does insure a rapid deployment after a low cutaway. Note that this forum doesn't post the incidents where someone cutaway low, and their RSL saves them.

Another one.
9/30/2001 Opelika, AL DMAL 48 308 Y/Y
Description: Due to a hard opening, this jumper broke one of the D lines on his canopy, a 230 Rascal. it went into a spin, so he cut it away. The rapid deployment of the reserve via the RSL resulted in his capturing the reserve pilot chute on his right arm. One report indicates the reserve lines also entangled with his neck. The reserve never cleared the freebag. He was found dead at the scene. A second report from someone involved with the investigation reports that the RSL had nothing to do with it; I await further details.
Lessons:RSL's are a mixed blessing. For novice jumpers, they provide insurance against failure to pull the reserve after a cutaway, a relatively frequent occurrence in the pre-CYPRES past. This incident may illustrate the downside of an RSL.

There are more, but I don't have time to find them. I know of an issue at Lake Wales that I just can't recall the details and can't find it right now. I know of another one in the midwest that I can't find the details for either and don't have the time to look.

But there are several listed above with details for your education.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Don't forget about the three fatal reserve entanglements last year. Oh sure you can take the out, “That is pure speculation,” but there is no speculation to the fact that they are Dead and maybe we should have the experts which, ‘I am Not,’ look again and maybe rethink the use and application of the RSL. Again I’m not against the use of an RSL, but it is MY Opinion, if you’re going to promote them then you need to give as much weight to their HAZARDS

Faster, Faster, Faster
Till the Thrill of Speed
Overcomes the Fear of Death

Don't forget about the three fatal reserve entanglements last year. Oh sure you can take the out, “That is pure speculation,” but there is no speculation to the fact that they are Dead and maybe we should have the experts which, ‘I am Not,’ look again and maybe rethink the use and application of the RSL. Again I’m not against the use of an RSL, but it is MY Opinion, if you’re going to promote them then you need to give as much weight to their HAZARDS

Yup.

It's an informed decision to be made either way, and one cannot MAKE that decision without being full informed and aware of ALL the factors.

Bill Booth is a strong proponent of using the RSL, I respect him and value his opinions.

However they type of jumping I do, I feel an RSL has the possibility of creating more problems for ME than going without.

MY informed decision made after looking at the facts and weighing my needs is to not have one.

An RLS 'could' have been a real problem for me a couple years ago when I broke a RSL side riser at a demo...I'm VERY happy I didn't have it on that day.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

wow, had to go thru 10 years of fatality to find 5 huh???

1st one could've been fine if the guy had proper gear check done, during assembly.

2nd one. most of sigma system has conlins laynard rsl.

3rd, it was time for the dude to go

4th and 5th, either poor body postion during cutaway or poor line untiwsting technique.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

1st one could've been fine if the guy had proper gear check done, during assembly.

2nd one. most of sigma system has conlins laynard rsl.

4th and 5th, either poor body postion during cutaway or poor line untiwsting technique.

Ever thought of becoming an accident investigator?. Your forensic skills are unmatched....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

This is one of the most informed and rational threads of all time, it is great.

It sure has gotten old over the years reading reports about the jumpers who thought they didnt need no stinking RSL, ( or AAD either, for that matter,, in some cases.) Sure, you have to know and maintain your gear very well to help ensure that things will operate according to plan, but you should always be doing that anyway.

No, I did a search of a post I made years ago.

And every RSL save could have been avoided by pulling the reserve.

2nd one. most of sigma system has conlins laynard

Sigma is not the only brand

Then it must also have been time to go for all of those that needed an RSL to save them

You may not know this, but a cutaway often results in being flung. And 'poor line twisting techique' I guess the ones that died from no pulls and no RSL just had 'poor reserve pull tecnique'