-ftp-

Can anything be learned from this video?

Yeah. It's a parachute. Just fly it. It's not fragile.

Test flare it and turn it. She had altitude to do this many times. If you find yourself under a reserve, perform a canopy control check and then some added input to familiarize yourself with the canopy flight characteristics. There’s no reason to be afraid of the canopy that’s over your head especially if it’s the reserve.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

True, but I'm glad the video got posted anyway.

If a person flies the canopy like it's a parachute rather than flying it like it's a delicate piece of material, fewer bad landings will occur.

Let the parachute fly then flare it several times while you still have some altitude. Many people pound in because the first time they flare the reserve is on landing.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It looks like she is flying in 1/2 or more brakes shortly before landing. She then lets up just before flaring. Essentially she caused the canopy to surge right before trying to get it to plane out.

The lesson is let the canopy fly on final.

im inexperienced myself but that was the biggest thing i saw. she was flying her damned reserve in almost deep brakes and sinking in. luckily i have jumped ravens more than a few times, so i have felt the difference between a decent main and a sluggish, slow-flaring 7 cell................

the poor thing pounded in when she let up on brakes and had ZILCH for flare left........

heal well
gravity brings me down.........

OK, I can't watch that more than two times. She gave it a quick test flare, but it hardly moved. She buries one toggle or the other a few times. The canopy hardly responds at all (?!). Was that a tired, clapped-out, older Tempo that's too porous from so many repacks? I've never flown a reserve. They're not all like that, right?

I didn't realize HOW poor some people can be with flying F-111, considering she was at only a 1:1 wing loading.

She seemed to be on the right toggle quite a bit, but hey, it was a Tempo. So if there was a built in turn, it was perhaps distracting her. Sure looked like it just before the flare -- a couple big pumps of the right toggle to stay straight.

People don't always remember to arch on the cutaway but stay in the comfortable sitting position. That would avoid the awkwardness of having the reserve deploy over her shoulder.

She's probably not super tall, so although at one point she has fully cutaway, the long cutaway cable hasn't cleared the housing. She effectively then goes straight to the reserve but for a split second seems to use one hand to brush the cutaway cable away. Interesting little issue: While people are taught sometimes to clear the cables, if someone is fully cut away and in freefall, you don't want them mucking about with a barely dangling cutaway handle, but go for the reserve.

I notice she found the velcro on the reserve toggles good and tight: A straight down pull on the R toggle just pulled the riser. As soon as she peeled it up she was fine. "Pulling the toggle" on its own wasn't enough.

Can't blame a newbie for dropping handles and not chasing her stuff down in a demanding DZ environment.

It's impressive how many little things come up that a newer jumper might not have thought much about and could be a little surprised to confront.

I appreciate that she uploaded the vid.

what do you mean by "bulit in turn" ?
and yes, the body position on reserve deployment looks ..awkward

it looks like she really wanted to land on the grass before the runway, that’s why she was flying with break…

i just want to hug the poor girl ;)

Was that a tired, clapped-out, older Tempo that's too porous from so many repacks? I've never flown a reserve. They're not all like that, right?

Tempos? No.

My first reserve ride was under a Tempo and it landed fine. Took a little more to flare the damn thing, but it got me down safely.

You can demo PD reserves...
http://www.performancedesigns.com/demo_sport.asp

what do you mean by "built in turn"

Parachute turns on its own when no input is given. May be due to small distortions in the canopy as it is sewed together, even though all the parts are the right size. Generally a sign of a less than perfect production process. A rare issue these days, more common a complaint (for mains) in the 70s & 80s I think.

or plan for landing with that "built in turn" flying full speed of the parachute ?

Good question...
I'd go with accepting a little turn, as it shouldn't be very much within 10 seconds, and instead make sure one has full speed before going into the flare. If the flare starts to aggravate any small turn, one can flare a little faster and deeper on on side. There's no ideal answer.

The Tempo would be no more porous than any other reserve. While packing reserves will slowly increase their porosity, it is a very slow process, so a reserve a few years older than another isn't going to be noticeably worse. (E.g., PD wants a porosity check after 40 pack jobs, and most companies make no such requirement.) So I really don't expect that Tempo to have any porosity issues.

Reserves due to their design tend not to be snappy turning canopies, at least not with small control inputs. Not like a typical zero-P 9 cell. As for the Tempo in particular, I don't know, but yeah, it doesn't look too snappy in turns in the video.

so if the parachute is truing without any inputs, should you try to correct it on final before flare? or plan for landing with that "built in turn" flying full speed of the parachute ?

Shift in the harness and counter the turn with weight shift. This way you will have a straight flying parachute and your toggle input will be equidistant

Any thoughts besides a terrible PLF?

Camera? Check.

Arching after a cutaway or during EPs? No.

Knowing you can't collapse the slider on a reserve? Also no.

More importantly, it appears as if the jumper has no idea how to fly an F-111 7-cell. If you notice the flare, it's not complete and she times it so her hands are the furthest down at the same time she hits the ground. If this was a Z-po main, that type of flare and timing would have worked out fine, on a reserve, not so much.

The F-111 7 cell needs a little 'time' to actually pitch up and flare. You want to complete the flare a few feet above ground level, and give the canopy a chance to slow down. Reserves generally only do one thing quickly, and that's open. In terms of toggle response, you're going to have to wait when compared to the response of a Z-po main.

Of course, not packing the step through is the real lesson here. Any bets on if the jumper packed her own rig? If she did, I go back to the 'ready for a camera, but can't do a line check', and if she didn't, that's what you get for not packing your own stuff. There's really no way to win when you pack (or jump) a rig that can't pass a simple line check. Shit does happen sometimes when you pack, they don't all open, but when you pack it twisted up or stepped-thru, they'll never open.

Of course, not packing the step through is the real lesson here. Any bets on if the jumper packed her own rig? If she did, I go back to the 'ready for a camera, but can't do a line check', and if she didn't, that's what you get for not packing your own stuff. There's really no way to win when you pack (or jump) a rig that can't pass a simple line check. Shit does happen sometimes when you pack, they don't all open, but when you pack it twisted up or stepped-thru, they'll never open.

From her own comments on YouTube, sounds like she was her own packer:

I packed a step through and opened up to find a big ball of shit. Also had a ridiculously hard landing under my reserve..wasn't expecting it to be so mushy. I now have a broken fibula (leg), talus (foot) and an oblique fracture all through my ankle bone. So skydive safe and pay attention while packing. This was my 130th jump.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

so if the parachute is truing without any inputs, should you try to correct it on final before flare? or plan for landing with that "built in turn" flying full speed of the parachute ?

Shift in the harness and counter the turn with weight shift. This way you will have a straight flying parachute and your toggle input will be equidistant

On a 7 cell F1-11 reserve @1:1 ?

She had the right toggle 3/4's of the way down trying to get it to fly straight, I doubt any amount of harness input in this situation would have made a discernible difference.

Let it fly and PLF...B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Didn't read any posts just to be honest what I learned from this video:

1. That line twist wasn't so bad at all, I do get em all the times on rental gear. She shouldn't yanked that toggle.
2. I will be buying brand new reserve, I'm not taking chances.
3. PLF is your friend.

Edit: +1 for trying to collapse the slider :D