amihan07

What's the best skydiving school in the world? (if ever there is such a thing)

Without doubt the US is the cheapest place to learn .

If I understand the point being made here (ie the US is 'without a doubt' the cheapest place to learn) then I absolutely doubt this. (There is a world outside the US for skydiving, suprising as it may appear)

Unless the poster I am quoting meant that the cheapest place to learn in accordance with USPA requirements is the US, in which case I don't have a view.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Check out Skydive Spaceland. Great people, great facilities, great program. The A in a week program is a solid one and a great price. Your learning opportunities at Spaceland will not end at your license. Lots of great coaches and organizers to help boost your skills as well.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Without doubt the US is the cheapest place to learn .

If I understand the point being made here (ie the US is 'without a doubt' the cheapest place to learn) then I absolutely doubt this. (There is a world outside the US for skydiving, suprising as it may appear)

Unless the poster I am quoting meant that the cheapest place to learn in accordance with USPA requirements is the US, in which case I don't have a view.

Yeah sorry it shouldn't have been a categorical statement. The USA is most likely the cheapest place in the western world and is backed up with a massive infrastructure in skydiving.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

My picks would be:

Europe: Empuriabrava
US West: Perris or Elsinore
US East: Zephyrhills

... In my opinion these are the best and most fun dropzones globally.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Also the best C-182 paint job and interior.

Perfectly sound duct tape....

And the chickens, don't forget the chickens...

best maintained gear as well! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

One thing I like about Skydive Perris is IHOP -- onsite accomodations at the drop zone. It's a house with bunkbeds. At $15/night it's much cheaper than hotels, but it is still air conditioned, you have a kitchen, and you have free WiFi. Call them weeks in advance to reserve a bed, though!

That said, if you have higher standards for accomodations, the quality of surrounding hotels near a dropzone can make or break a dropzone -- a dropzone in the middle of nowhere with hotels far away, versus a dropzone near a lot of high quality hotels.

doesnt kolomna offer something like 10$-jumps? dont know about their AFF-prices tough..

Sadly, the days of the $10 jumps from 13.5k are long gone. I think the rate for a block of 50 jumps is still very compeitive when compared to prices in the UK, Spain etc. I would have to check but I imagine it is something like $20 a jump - at a major dz with several turbines. I am sure it would be a lot cheaper in rural Russia.
I have no idea what AFF costs here but I have seen a lot of people travel from various countries throughout Europe to do AFF so I guess it is competitive. I believe the quality of instruction is very good, with most AFF instructors having many thousands of jumps... at my DZ, even people with 5k plus jumps seem almost as beginners when compared to the really experienced guys (in terms of jump numbers).
))

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

doesnt kolomna offer something like 10$-jumps? dont know about their AFF-prices tough..

Sadly, the days of the $10 jumps from 13.5k are long gone. I think the rate for a block of 50 jumps is still very compeitive when compared to prices in the UK, Spain etc. I would have to check but I imagine it is something like $20 a jump - at a major dz with several turbines. I am sure it would be a lot cheaper in rural Russia.
I have no idea what AFF costs here but I have seen a lot of people travel from various countries throughout Europe to do AFF so I guess it is competitive. I believe the quality of instruction is very good, with most AFF instructors having many thousands of jumps... at my DZ, even people with 5k plus jumps seem almost as beginners when compared to the really experienced guys (in terms of jump numbers).
))

too bad! uh well.. everything's cheaper than switzerland anyway, only more expensive place is probably japan! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda