F364

1 joint = 7 weeks grounded!!

My understanding is that when people say 'nobody has ever been killed because of MJ' is that they mean that it hasn't killed anyone due to its toxicity not that it hasn't caused impairment in someone after which they've then done something stupid to get themselves killed.

Is that some different kind of "dead", which doesn't count?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

My understanding is that when people say 'nobody has ever been killed because of MJ' is that they mean that it hasn't killed anyone due to its toxicity not that it hasn't caused impairment in someone after which they've then done something stupid to get themselves killed.

I guess it's just about how you categorize things. If you die in a car crash and you were intoxicated, will you be included in a "killed in a traffic accident", "killed by alcohol" or both? Substance itself may not cause the death but it may be contributing factor - I think this is often intentionally neglected.

Personally, I don't care if you drink too much, roll a fat one, or do hard drugs for that matter. Your body - your life - your decision. B|

However, please don't do so if you’re jumping with or around me. [:/] "Be discrete" is good advice. But, please let me know if you're drunk or stoned before you board a plane with me. You don't have to get off the plane, just allow me to.

And, for the record, I'm certainly no saint!! There is a time and a place for everything. :P

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Personally, I don't care if you drink too much, roll a fat one, or do hard drugs for that matter. Your body - your life - your decision. B|

However, please don't do so if you’re jumping with or around me. [:/] "Be discrete" is good advice. But, please let me know if you're drunk or stoned before you board a plane with me. You don't have to get off the plane, just allow me to.

this - ^

but if the DZ has the policy, then don't also, it's their property, their butt in a sling, their liability

IMO - both comments are about respecting others

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Its silly to insist upon the thc legitimatley keeping you under the influence for 7 weeks, and if this is all just based on accusations thats quite absurd, it is even more ridiculous that theres someone running and telling the DZO about supposedly seeing this, did he/she at any point try to take matters into their hands and at the very least intervene? And why would somebody go and get someone in trouble for doing something they are clearly uneducated about..

No dead is dead. The point is/was that it is ridiculously hard to overdose purely with MJ compared to for instance alcohol or caffeine.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

2 young fun jumpers on a Norway DZ are today grounded for 7 weeks for allegedly smoking a joint last night.

The 2 young men were called into the DZ office this morning and accused of participating in smoking a cigarette the previous night. The cigarette allegedly had contained marijuana. Of the several people allegedly observed smoking the cigarette only 2 have been grounded.

The penalty sentence of 7 weeks has been imposed because apparently the Norwegian medical board suggests that THC may be detected in the human body for up to 7 weeks.

I am very curious as to what other peoples opinions are with this disipline.

No police charges have been laid.

My reaction? Oh well. It sucks to be them, but didn't they understand the DZ rules?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The penalty sentence of 7 weeks has been imposed because apparently the Norwegian medical board suggests that THC may be detected in the human body for up to 7 weeks.

Hmmm...almost sounds like their trying to make sure they don't get sued.

Back in the day this would have shut down half the DZ's ;)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Its silly to insist upon the thc legitimatley keeping you under the influence for 7 weeks, and if this is all just based on accusations thats quite absurd, it is even more ridiculous that theres someone running and telling the DZO about supposedly seeing this, did he/she at any point try to take matters into their hands and at the very least intervene? And why would somebody go and get someone in trouble for doing something they are clearly uneducated about..

Well i guess this pretty much somes up my opinion. I am not saying i condone what has happened and i was not involved in happenings. I am from another country and thought this type of reaction/action was unusual in my 24 years in the sport.

There seem to be people way off the subject here. I am not talking about somebody getting high and then boarding the aircraft under the influence.

Thanks again for the productive responces. You have all helped understand the situation.

As a matter of interest, what sort of penalty would they face if the police actually caught them in possession of a joint?.

In most civilised countries, I would imagine it would be treated as a misdemeanor, with either a talking to or small fine imposed.

Without debating the rights and wrongs of this, the reaction seems to me a bit over the top, and even more so if others involved got no sanction at all.

It seems to me the DZ is taking rather more responsibility for their actions than is necessary.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Reminds me of the time before I was 21 when I gave the cop jumper at the DZ a $20 bill and asked him to buy a case for the dropzone....yeaaaaa that didnt fly well :$

reminds me of the cop jumper that likes to take a puff every now and then as well, or the other one that would turn a blind eye on everything that happened around him; it's jumpers, it's after jumping, do whatever you like!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I am from another country and thought this type of reaction/action was unusual in my 24 years in the sport.

Well ya see, it used to be live & let live when it came to after hours safety meetings, most everyone was discreet and only narks were the ones to snitch on you and most everyone knew who the narks were.... they weren't at the safety meetings, cuz even back then the non smokers were cool.

Then came along Nancy Regan and the "just say no" & "DARE" bullshit where we started brainwashing kids in kindergarten to snitch on mom & dad for twisting one up.

Now those same kids are all grown up and still can't think on their own and still believe all that bullshit they were brained washed in to thinking about marijuana smoking and they have no problem snitching on those who partake in the herb.... even when after hours and not jumping, on or off the dz too.

Then there is the DZ politic factor that comes in to play.... let me tell you a little story.

One day about 12 yrs ago or so, this young dude showed up at a dz I was working & living on. This expert (LOL) tree climbing young lad was hated by pretty much the whole damn dz... all but the dzo. No one who was on staff could stand to be around the dude, but he was a student so we all dealt with him as professionals. At the end of the day everyone would go home, but us who lived there on site... however Mr. Loser treeboy wouldn't leave and just kept hanging around bugging the locals and couldn't take a hint to leave peoples space or the dz after hours, weekday or weekend didn't matter. (would invite himself to town or follow us to dinners etc)

After a year or so of this guy being a douche, most everyone had learned to just deal with the guy and those who smoked weed would have to find ways to ditch the dude to smoke up, but like herpes.... just when you think you got rid of it, it pops back up and ruins a good time.

About this time this guy started getting interested in some ratings and doing working jumps, but was on the bottom of the bottom of the list. Fast forward a few and that same guy and a few others in his "class" decided they wanted more shares of the pie, so one night while a couple of the regulars were out in a private RV toking up a number, those assholes dropped a dime and called the dzo and ratted them out, who promptly came to the dz and no knocked walked into the RV and busted them smoking.

This ended up in staff who were not there on site as well as those who were on site and busted getting thrown off the dz, a big cleaning of house and those who were at the bottom yesterday were now at the top the next day.

I started my education in skydiving in the early 70's until present, where I come from or the dz I was raised on, it was not cool to be a snitch and that was a good way to unwelcome yourself from most jumpers. Everything was pretty discreet, yet, yes people partied and jumped during the day, not all that uncommon.

It also was not all that uncommon to find at the end of the day a safety meeting being held and attended by most the dz, those who never smoked hung out and we all bullshitted and drank what ever suited your fancy.

Some where along the way that all changed and now if your a MJ smoker your seen as some kind of low life dirt bag by a great deal of the "mainstream" skydivers. (funny tho I know a lot of highly educated professional people, like Dr's, Lawyers, teachers etc. who smoke MJ)

So is it all that uncommon to snitch on your fellow jumpers who are smoking a fatty after hours? No it's not all that uncommon these days and you will see more and more of that in the future until people can learn to live & let live those who are doing no harm to others.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Take them out back and shoot them!

...and send a bill for the bullet to their family! ;)

You're confusing Norway with China... a little issue with your short-term memory, maybe?

B|B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

You're confusing Norway with China... a little issue with your short-term memory, maybe?

B|B|

Sometimes the difference between China and Norway isn't all that clear...

it's "over the pond"; really, a cause of concern and confusion! ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Very interesting discussion folks. Several logical opinions and several that simply don't make sense. I am very, very new to this amazing sport but even I can see that there is very little margin for error when skydiving. Personally I want everyone in that plane in the right frame of mind. Anything less is foolish.

Additionally, several folks have pointed out that smoking THC simply won't kill you. I really don't disagree with part of that statement. However, there are folks that have been killed as a result of being under the influence of THC.

One last point that almost everyone doesn't think about when commenting on the deaths caused by THC. As a PO here in Canada, I can tell you that I have been to many scenes where dealers have had a transaction gone bad and the result has been a body in the ditch that we have to deal with. I'm basically saying to look at the big picture and how far reaching the effects are. As far as I'm concerned, one life lost is one too many.

"I'm basically saying to look at the big picture and how far reaching the effects are. As far as I'm concerned, one life lost is one too many."

Exactly. The War on Drugs is BS. All it has done is wreck lives, pad the payrolls of LE, & increase taxes... It is an utter failure. People have died while stoned? A whole lot more people have been killed by drunk drivers.

If done after the jumping through for the day? It's safer than a few beers or whatever. How many hungover people cause accidents the day after? That doesn't happen w/reef.

A DZ is a business. Valid point taken. HOWEVER, that DZO should've approached those smokers on the side, & laid down his law. Fair Enough, as it's his place of business. He didn't do that. He singled out two of seven people, for whatever bias, & punished them. That's not cool. Unless he has the only DZ for many miles. Don't be surprised to see an exodus of jumpers from that place.

Agreed, everyone involved should have been given equal "punishment." I also agree with you that alcohol is involved in far more deaths than MJ is. My rational to that is if you question 10 people, I think it's safe to say that perhaps 8 of them drink alcohol. When asked the same about MJ use, I would think perhaps 3 may admit to using. What I'm trying to say is if the ratios were equal, perhaps the death count may balance out as well.

Please don't think I'm trying to preach to anyone, I simply want people to see the big picture and please be safe regardless of your choice.

I don't think you're preaching. I also don't believe the ratio is only 3/10 for pot smokers. More would openly admit it if it wasn't illegal. More people wouldn't suffer the ill health effects of booze if they had a safer alternative. You also wouldn't have to clean up after deals gone bad were it not illegal, BTW.

I think most here see the big picture. If someone isn't responsible, & gets behind the wheel while impaired by either? Of course, bad things will often follow. That's not the point. THC is a far safer substance for the human body. Alcohol is toxic to virtually every organ we have. I hope you haven't bough into the party lies of LE surrounding this debate?

Those numbers I threw out were just for comparison, not an actual survey result. I will agree with you that MJ "probably" doesn't have the same negative effects that alcohol has. In reality MJ is definitely on the low end of the scale of harmful narcotics. I don't buy into anything and I hope I'm not coming across as a read and believe type of guy. I base what I say on what I have personally witnessed. I don't think MJ should be legalized, I do believe that it should be decriminalized....basically the same as a speeding ticket. I don't arrest everyone I come across that is in possession. Attitude and discretion play a big part in how I deal with a situation. By the way, I'm glad to have a good conversation that doesn't degrade into name calling and flaming.

A DZ is a business. Valid point taken. HOWEVER, that DZO should've approached those smokers on the side, & laid down his law. Fair Enough, as it's his place of business. He didn't do that. He singled out two of seven people, for whatever bias, & punished them.

Unless you have an inside track, none of us know what the DZO actually did, said, or has previously indicated.
What are or aren't the properties of reefer don't matter; it's a DZO's policy, apparently, and with regard to controlled, illegal, or OTC substances, it's his responsibility to make sure his jumpers, packers, and riggers are within the confines of the law.