F364

1 joint = 7 weeks grounded!!

2 young fun jumpers on a Norway DZ are today grounded for 7 weeks for allegedly smoking a joint last night.

The 2 young men were called into the DZ office this morning and accused of participating in smoking a cigarette the previous night. The cigarette allegedly had contained marijuana. Of the several people allegedly observed smoking the cigarette only 2 have been grounded.

The penalty sentence of 7 weeks has been imposed because apparently the Norwegian medical board suggests that THC may be detected in the human body for up to 7 weeks.

I am very curious as to what other peoples opinions are with this disipline.

No police charges have been laid.

2 young fun jumpers on a Norway DZ are today grounded for 7 weeks for allegedly smoking a joint last night.

The 2 young men were called into the DZ office this morning and accused of participating in smoking a cigarette the previous night. The cigarette allegedly had contained marijuana. Of the several people allegedly observed smoking the cigarette only 2 have been grounded.

The penalty sentence of 7 weeks has been imposed because apparently the Norwegian medical board suggests that THC may be detected in the human body for up to 7 weeks.

I am very curious as to what other peoples opinions are with this disipline.

No police charges have been laid.

Marijuana consumption is fine in any situation where more than one drink of alcohol is not inappropriate since the effects are of the same order.

Smoking instead of eating it is fine any place smoking tobacco is OK or marijuana is specifically tolerated.

If drinking two beers would have gotten the kids grounded the punishment is consistent. If not it's especially stupid.

The rationale is wrong. The detection of THC metabolites seven weeks later doesn't imply that the test subjects are still under the influence.

What is the policy of the DZ? If it's the DZO's private property, then he can make the rules.

Is it illegal in Norway? How old were the jumpers? Did they have a history of putting the DZO in legal jeopardy? Did they have a history of doing stupid stuff while high or drunk?

seems like one side of the story is here only with little details - you'll just get the dopers and the anti-dopers giving their personal opinions - likely in Speaker's Corner before the page turns.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

likely in Speaker's Corner before the page turns.

Excuse me but how would you consider this topic not skydive related if these guys are suspended from skydiving for allegedly smoking pot the night before?

Seems pretty stiff, seems like the club is either trying to send a message or toe the line.

If you were going to actually place a limit based in impairment you might adopt the same rules as the FAA or other aeronautic boards have for piloting a plane and drinking. I think they have something like 8-12 hours since your last drink. It would seem about the same would be fine for smoking.

Seems pretty stiff, seems like the club is either trying to send a message or toe the line.

If you were going to actually place a limit based in impairment you might adopt the same rules as the FAA or other aeronautic boards have for piloting a plane and drinking. I think they have something like 8-12 hours since your last drink. It would seem about the same would be fine for smoking.

I think you lose your medical and are not able to pilot at all if you are caught taking illegal drugs, however.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

likely in Speaker's Corner before the page turns.

Excuse me but how would you consider this topic not skydive related if these guys are suspended from skydiving for allegedly smoking pot the night before?

you think this topic is about skydiving? that's interesting

when it happens, you'll know - the usual crowd hijacks this kind of stuff all the time. Hopefully not, sometimes the discourse stays clean for awhile

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The DZ is a club. Property is owned and managed by club members. The young men are early 20´s are club members with no history of trouble. Possession of THC is illegal in Norway.

Okay then think about it from the 'owners' viewpoint.

Turning a blind eye to illegal activities on the property isn't a wise move from a business stand point.

As far as the 7 weeks goes...IF something bad were to happen to either of those jumpers within that time, it 'could' be argued if the THC were detected during the autopsy that the DZ 'allowed' that to happen. Sure what they do away from the DZ can't be controlled, but that's not the question.

There were a few fatalities in rapid succession a number of years ago at a large mid-west DZ in the states...the main gist of the newspaper articles was the amount of THC detected in the jumpers systems...1 or 2 were instructors at the DZ.

Made for a LOT of bad press, who needs that?

I think that though the time-out seems harsh...NOT to make a strong statement in that instance would be akin to 'allowing' such things to go on.

You have to be smart about what you do where and with whom...potheads can't seem to perceive that keeping a low profile is paramount in avoiding persecution & prosecution.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In The US on average

Killed in airline crashes (of 477m passenger trips) 120 (1)
Killed by Anthrax 5
Killed by scuba 19
Killed by skydiving 30
Killed by lightning strikes 90
Killed by murders 15,517
Killed by the common flu 20,000
Killed in car accidents 42,116
Killed by the effects of alcohol 100,000
Killed by a doctor 195,000

Killed from the effects of marijuana: “None”

Us Law enforcement spent $15 billion in 2010 on marijuana

$15,000,000,000 divided by $25 (price of a skydive) = 6 million skydives or roughly twice as many that were done last year in the US. So basically whether you smoke pot or not, you paid $75 dollars per skydive so nobody could die from the effect of the people that do.

Just Saying
Faster, Faster, Faster
Till the Thrill of Speed
Overcomes the Fear of Death

In The US on average

Killed in airline crashes (of 477m passenger trips) 120 (1)
Killed by Anthrax 5
Killed by scuba 19
Killed by skydiving 30
Killed by lightning strikes 90
Killed by murders 15,517
Killed by the common flu 20,000
Killed in car accidents 42,116
Killed by the effects of alcohol 100,000
Killed by a doctor 195,000

Killed from the effects of marijuana: “None”

Us Law enforcement spent $15 billion in 2010 on marijuana

$15,000,000,000 divided by $25 (price of a skydive) = 6 million skydives or roughly twice as many that were done last year in the US.

So basically whether you smoke pot or not,
you paid $75 dollars per skydive so nobody could die from the effect of the people that do.
:S:ph34r:

Just Saying Yeah me too, nice try though!:)

Yeah yeah yeah...and it's not harmful, God put it here bla bla bla.

One thing that it IS ~ AGAINST THE LAW.

When it comes down to allowing customers to partake and break the law or keep a business out of the spotlight and away from possible prosecution...guess which wins the argument.

Go ahead, sink your life saving into a business, spend every waking moment trying to keep it afloat and hopefully prosper...THEN come back and tell me that you would allow people to put that all in jeopardy because 'it doesn't hurt anyone'. :D

IF you comprehend my prior post correctly, you should see that I didn't say it's the devils weed and destruction should befall all those who gaze upon it...I said be smart about where and with whom you do it. ;)

Hay, I’m not arguing for or against smoking pot. I just don’t like paying $75 for a skydive. I would rather we make it legal and Tax the people $15 billion so I can do 3 times as many sky dive next year. I think that is money way better spent don’t you?
Faster, Faster, Faster
Till the Thrill of Speed
Overcomes the Fear of Death

Hay, I’m not arguing for or against smoking pot. I just don’t like paying $75 for a skydive. I would rather we make it legal and Tax the people $15 billion so I can do 3 times as many sky dive next year. I think that is money way better spent don’t you?

You REALLY wanna stick with that argument? :ph34r:

I didn't realize that it was only we skydivers paying for the DEA budget.

And please cite your source that excludes dope smoking as a contributing factor in ALL auto accident fatalities...

Shall I go on? ;)

"I am very curious as to what other peoples opinions are with this discipline."

Barbaric... :(

Reef is far safer than alcohol for the human body. Butt-backward Govt.s cling to archaic laws protecting alcohol's profits. While demonizing a safer alternative drug. It's asinine.

IT would seem the DZ is as I said before trying to send a message to the community of smoking skydivers to keep it off their DZ. Which given the current legal status makes sense. It is also a message because they could have easily handled the situation quietly if it were just these individuals, it seems they are trying to send a message and create a "paper trail" to provide extra cover.

All things seem acceptable, its not like they are giving jumpers drug tests before jumping, that would be a different story. IF you want to smoke and your DZ frowns on pot on their property, be polite and take it elsewhere. Potheads are supposed to be known for being agreeable. Go smoke elsewhere, come back and continue life.

ALSO Based on information given, 2 people were given bans but more than 2 were reported smoking. Obviously not having equal treatment among all sticks out. More details would help, were others employees, etc?

>I am very curious as to what other peoples opinions are with this disipline.

Up to the DZO. Here employees of DZ's are regularly drug tested and grounded if they refuse the test (or test positive.) Other places may choose to do that to all their jumpers. Jumpers, of course, may choose to go to another DZ.

First off, is MJ legal in Norway? If it is then the grounding is inappropriate.

I'm probably going to get a ration, but here goes. If it is not legal, the DZO has the absolute right to restrict it's usage on his property. He also has the right to ground anyone caught using it for whatever period of time he deems proper or punitive enough. HOWEVER, all the participants of said MJ cig should be equally dealt with.

It's his business, his property, and his decision as to who can jump there. This may or may not be a wise business decision, but it IS HIS TO MAKE.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9