adamqbishop

Stiletto 89

With all the better choices

You mean different choices.

out there why would you want to?

Stilettos are enjoyably responsive to control input, have a flat glide, and don't take too long to open.

More modern designs are detuned (John LeBlanc observed jumpers having roll-axis stability problems landing their Stilettos and reduced the responsiveness on all the following PD designs like the Velocity and Katana), are generally trimmed steeper (sometimes with an option for steeper still "swoop" linesets, and have openings slowed down to accomodate today's wimpified skydivers.

If you neither swoop nor pull at metaphorically high "AFF" opening altitudes a Stiletto might be a fine canopy. If you do swoop and are willing to pull a bit higher to make it back from longer spots and keep the same cutaway decision altitude there are better choices. Less experienced jumpers will probably do better with non-rectangular designs with reduced control sensitivity now that there's a choice.

I used to have a 97 (fly a 107 now). Would have purchased the 89 back then, but at that time it was the "secret" stiletto that wasn't advertised and you had to have a connection to get.

I still really enjoy mine. It opens great, is fun to fly, lands great. I've dialed my "swooping" back to carving 90's or so (I'm getting too old to try to be the hotrod). For me it does everything I need. It isn't a modern style swoopers canopy, but there is a reason that it is still so popular 20 years or so after it was designed.

Very responsive. I can float up with tandems in brakes... I wouldn't be opposed to getting another one when this one finally dies.