FlyKid

Downsizing, but when? Also I am an under-aged jumper...

Dude your names jumps alot and you have an A license with 650 jumps over a span of 11 years? Good try though... and how would you react if you posted seeking out advice and slight debate and someone posted something with a tone like that? what did you want me to say 'yeah your right im so sorry i ever posted this im such a dumb ass?"

I know it's hard to always listen to older people like me and (your dad).

I love to fly and land fast and even though people think I'm old I love jumping my Veloctiy 103.

However I do feel it's important to point out your own words - I'm impatient -

I can't begin to tell you how many times I heard that from my son. And those words scare the hell out of us dads. Especially when we've had to load those impatient people into an ambulance over the years.

But he showed me and many others his advanced level of maturaty but staying with his Sabre 170 at 1to1 for over 500 hundred jumps.

And in the end he showed everyone by being able to surf that thing like noone else we'd ever seen.

Try to be patient and listen to your "old man" which is what my kid affectionately calls me.

We're not trying to suck the fun out of your sport were just trying to keep you on canopies you can survive the mistakes you're bound to make. And you will make them..... we all do.

Hang in there. And jump your ass off so much that you wear out that Triathalon. Then you'll have to get another canopy.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Probably not a big deal to make the switch. Ideally find a larger Pilot to try out, so you aren't downsizing and going on a different style canopy all at once.

FWIW, on the Brian Germain chart, which is not perfect but a standard starting point for argument, suggests a 156 canopy minimum at your point. You'd reach a minimum recommended of 150 at 100 jumps.

A Pilot is a pretty docile tapered canopy. One alternative for you: get current for the season (if you aren't already), then do a few hop & pop jumps on the Pilot to try it out, then go back to the Tri for your regular jumping for a while to build some more experience.

isnt a sabre a semi-elliptical 9 cell? thats the only difference i want honestly its not o much downsizing, and its a small down size, and id be conten with putting a few hundred jumps on it... i feel like im jumping a student canopy though... (which i technically am) i mean the other day i almost had to lett and un graduated aff student jump it... and she weighs 130-135? if our instructors are comfortable putting her on it then i feel it could be smaller if im going to jump tri or it could be the same sized nine cell..

The Sabre 1 is just a regular square (but a pretty good canopy in it's day and still not bad).

The Sabre 2 is semi-eliptical and a much more dynamic canopy.

My suggestion is get off this site and stop the pissing match which will go on indefinitely.

Prepare some notes on why you should jump the Pilot. Pro's and Cons.

Make sure you list of all the cons because your dad will. Come up with reasonable well thought out responses. No different than you would for a class at school.

Then tell your dad you want to set an appointment to talk with him for at least 30 minutes. Not at the DZ - some where nutral. No staff. No jumpers. No family. No interuptions. Make certain you both shut off the phones. No calls or texts.

Then make your case in a calm mature manor. Expect him to resist your idea. Don't interupt him. Listen to him and when it's your turn, respond reasonably with a prepared argument that supports your position with passion but not in his face.

Talk to him like an adult and respond like an adult.

No offense -- but -- not like you have to some of these posts.

Parents love it when their kids can debate with some well thought out material. Show him you're talking to him like a man not a teen ager.

Then ask him to give some thought before he gives you an answer. A couple days is reasonable.

What ever he decides.... accept it like a man and live with it.

Remember sometimes we dads say no just to see how our kids react. And then we change our minds if they act with maturity. I know that sucks but that's what we do.

Good luck
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

....tryout the 150 pilot and demo the difference, i dont think that a 150 pilot is like going CRAZYYY:P

ok...I dont think its reckless or stupid to go from a 160 to a 150. your loading will be like 1.05 or 1.06 depending how big a crap you took that morning.
but guess what...you are 16 and you're doing what daddy says B|:P
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

well at least drop an A instead of the ER so it sounds like you are a wigger instead of racist.

I just about pissed myself laughing at this.

so far put 75 (all my jumps) jumps on it with not a single "non-standup" Landing, I wanna downsize to my dads 150 pilot

Here's my advice...

You could jump that katana 120 and probably land it up first try. No kidding. But being able to stand up a canopy landing isn't the criteria for downsizing. The real issue that comes into play is if put find yourself in a bad situation, you need to be able to react with the proper maneuver and not drill yourself into the ground.

With that being said, you're not too far off from being on that 150. I would take that other poster's advice and get current for this season. Invest in a canopy course if you can. You'll get to do a day of hop n pops and work on some really good drills/maneuvers. Canopy coaching is well worth it to damn near every canopy pilot in the sport.

After that, you should be around 100 jumps and probably ready for that 150.

And about the whole "inexperienced in life" thing, yes i am but just cause I'm 16 and am inexperienced doesn't mean I'm fucking incoherently stupid.

Listen shithead, if this is the way you want to proceed, I'm all for it. In addition skydiving experience, I have also been a 16 year old kid, and I remember what I thought I knew and when I compare it to what I actually know now, I can see that I was a bit shortsighted.

So your dad says no. I say no. Everyone esle here says no, but we all must be wrong. Just your attitude about this should be an indicator, try to imagine if you were an outsider looking at this issue, where a guy asks a question and then argues with everyone when he doesn't like the answers he gets. Would you say that's the reaction of a mature person looking for information, or a stupid kid who just wants his way?

Maybe I made some assuptions, and maybe you have made the 75 most educational jumps of all time and I was wrong about you. The penalty for that is nil. If you're wrong, and you make the wrong choice, the penalty for that is more severe.

Hey Flykid.

When my son was 17 I took a major risk and allowed him to start jumping against my wife's (his mother) wishes. He did pretty well and never got hurt.

He always did what I asked even stepping down off loads he wanted to get on because I didn't feel the jump would be safe.

Even though he sometimes questioned my decisions, he never argued with me and always did as I suggested.

We had many conversations about this and he always told me that he did what I asked because he really appreciated me going out on a limb for him when I didn't need to and he respected my years and experience in the sport.

For me - my advice and decisions were all about getting him to survive long enough to get his own experience.

He since has made his own name in the sport but still considers me his number one mentor.

You will never fully unerstand your dad's reasons for things untill you have your own son to worry about.

For now maybe you could cut him some slack and just be thrilled you're jumping out of planes while your friend's ideas of excitement is getting to the next level of an Xbox game.

Just a thought from a dad.

Best advice so far kid ! he seems to not only have a similar situation than you and your dads but also the experience, also consider there is a huge amount of guilt that your father will have to endure if something were to happen to you. Trust me it takes a man with balls to get his/her kids to jump at such young age. Im not sure I could do it.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I told you i respect your experience but your post was more than a tad more confrontation than others, other posters said things very similar and i replied to them go read some of them, but if your gona treat me like a 16 year old, than i will act like one, but im pretty sure no one wants to get advice the way you gave it. right or wrong, and im sure your right, but its whatever man, its clearly out of my hands and what any poster or I have to say is not going to sway my dads mind, i'll get it when im ready and he knows it.:|

Casey, if you're looking to jump something that's more 'fun' I'll let you jump my Safire2-169. It's going to be WAY more fun to fly that than the TRI and land loads better. If you can show him you're doing pretty damn good on it, it might sway his opinion in your favor.

I think its funny you bring up the girl jumping there that jumps the 135, she and her dad thought she would do better under a different canopy... we all know how that ended up.[:/]

If you don't want to fly it, you're just proving you want to downsize instead of have more fun in a safe manner.

(What's really funny is his dad is a DZ.commer and he and I have talked about this thread already)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

+1

dude, im 26 and i don't know shit about shit. my father never stopped me from testing my limits and sometimes i paid the price. i have more disaster stories than i care to share. but there was one thing he always made me do. to write a letter to my moms about why i did what i did and what caused me to get hurt. once i wrote the letter it would make me take a deep look at what i was attempting to do and the possible outcomes.

my suggestion would be ask your dad to hook you up with a canopy course and than downsize.

thats going to be my plan.

at least that way you have some good training before hand

Not to decerdit you nigger rigger... but ive heard from multiple people with more experience than you that i have an amazing pattern.. and to eveyone else, simply a question im 16 and im having to tell you guys to be a bit less non-confrontational? lol but i can do my pattern on rears, fronts and toggles, i know my pattern and what it should be, i do well with large sport-canopy traffic and i am a pretty conservative flyer, i mean who wouldnt be juming my canopy? Its a small downsize (10 square feet) and its a big change as far as 7 to 9 cell goes, but i have no interest in swooping anytime soon, just looking for a wee bit more performance out of my canopy flight, and its not like im gonna do a full altitude jump my first time and come blazing through the pattern hooking it and shit. :S

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Just 16? Welcome to the sport. You are in a fortunate position, being able to jump at your age. Like many others, I'm concerned about the DZ culture which has left you with the viewpoint that downsizing is not only necessary, but real important right now. Eight years ago I "downsized" to a 220 and am quite content with it. There's no shame in landing last.

Keep honing your skills and be content to learn slowly. If downsizing becomes a good idea your Dad will suggest you try it.

Meanwhile, it might be wise to place as much priority on becoming competent at such things as spelling, grammar, & proofreading. Being able to articulate your thoughts coherently will become far more useful in life than winning a swoop competition. B|

Cheers,
Jon S.

Reading this thread is amazing deja vu. I feel like I'm reading a discussion with PackingJarrett... smiliar attitude. Hopefully not the same end result.:S

Has anyone mentioned Sangi yet?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

(What's really funny is his dad is a DZ.commer and he and I have talked about this thread already)

His dad must be really proud of him.

I can't believe any of you continued this thread after the disrespect he showed a couple of people who I thought replied respectfully to him. I could now give less then a fuck what this kid jumps next weekend and my only hope is that someone posts pictures when the inevitable happens.

I feel like I'm reading a discussion with PackingJarrett... smiliar attitude. Hopefully not the same end result.

Agree on the attitude.
Just a side note to others: PackingJarrett's big accident wasn't related to downsizing. More of a rigging error in a multi-sport aerial activity.

I feel like I'm reading a discussion with PackingJarrett... smiliar attitude. Hopefully not the same end result.

Agree on the attitude.
Just a side note to others: PackingJarrett's big accident wasn't related to downsizing. More of a rigging error in a multi-sport aerial activity.

Very true... The underage, over confident, invincibility is the common theme I was referring to, lots of people saying 'slow down' and falling on deaf ears, and unfortunately too often that sense of invincability turns out to be false.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Agree on the attitude.

Very true... The underage, over confident, invincibility is the common theme I was referring to, lots of people saying 'slow down' and falling on deaf ears, and unfortunately too often that sense of invincibility turns out to be false.

My 3 kids are all in their early 20's now, they hung around dzopzones for YEARS, watched me jump at airshows all over the country, went to boogies and the nationals...none of them have ever jumped.

They ALL said they wanted to but they couldn't show me the maturity or discipline/self responsibility even at 18-19 that I felt was necessary to participate in this sport...I wouldn't take them.

There obviously wasn't enough of an interest to pursue it on their own, which is fine...I don't have to worry about the bad decisions they make killing them ...at least at one place.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Very true... The underage, over confident, invincibility is the common theme I was referring to, lots of people saying 'slow down' and falling on deaf ears, and unfortunately too often that sense of invincability turns out to be false.

+1 Was thinking the same thing while reading this thread. In another 75 jumps will be on BJ.COM telling base jumpers to fuck themselves if they don't think he's ready to start BASE jumping.

Starting young is such a blessing and a curse.[:/]

Starting young is such a blessing and a curse.[:/]

it's worse when the 'youngster' is also physically young

but I see this with 'youngsters in the sport' of all ages

it's particularly bad with the twenty something males though

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants