FlyKid

Downsizing, but when? Also I am an under-aged jumper...

Lets say i'm 160 out the door, 140 on the ground, i jump a 160 triathalon and have so far put 75 (all my jumps) jumps on it with not a single "non-standup" Landing, I wanna downsize to my dads 150 pilot but he still thinks im not ready, i respect this but i respetfully disagree, any suggestions? Comments?

Lets say i'm 160 out the door, 140 on the ground, i jump a 160 triathalon and have so far put 75 (all my jumps) jumps on it with not a single "non-standup" Landing, I wanna downsize to my dads 150 pilot but he still thinks im not ready, i respect this but i respetfully disagree, any suggestions? Comments?

Lets see you land into the wind more often than hooking it low because you're too high on final, mkay? ;)

Also, shouldn't you be packing a tandem? :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm actually kind of on the fence on this one. The Triathlon IS a hard canopy to get to land well, so here's what I suggest. Take $75 and order a demo Sabre 2 170 or Pilot 168 from the manufactures and try that. Change the design before you change the size.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Do you even read what you write before you post it?

So you have 75 total jumps, and all of them are on the Tri 160? You made your first and all student jumps on that canopy?

Even if you did, the first dozen or so don't really count as anything that went right was luck, not skill. Once you have 15 or 20 jumps, you start to develop skill to the point that you can repeat your performance, or certain parts of it, and only then do you really start to 'learn' a canopy in a real way.

Let's face it, if you took a student with 10 jumps total, and they claimed to 'know' how to fly a canopy, what would you say?

Anyway. with that in mind, you have about 60 'meaningful' jumps on a canopy, and 75 jumps total. Do you really think that makes you ready to downsize?

Also, standing up a landing is only one small part of knowing how to fly a canopy. Another poster made some remarks and it sounds as if he knows you and your skills personally. If you cannot fly a clean pattern and land on target with a high degree of accuracy, you're not ready to downsize.

Standing up just means you have your flare timing worked out, but if you think about it, that's the least important part of canopy flight. If your flare timing isn't perfect, you have a resolution, the PLF.

What do you do when your accuracy isn't that great, and you have to land off in a tight spot? You end up hitting a tree, house, fence, or whatever is srrounding the spot you wanted to land on.

How about your pattern work? Of that's no good, how can you expect to fly in traffic and not be a hazzard to yourself and others? Do you really think that going faster is going to help?

All I know about you is that you have 75 jumps, are under the age of 18, and your dad is a jumper (and I'm guessing a DZO or high time jumper, thus explaining your ability to jump underage). The sum of all that is your inexperienced in both life and skydiving, do something people wouldn't expect from and make the mature decision to repect your father's experience in life and skydiving, and listen to what he says.

There's a progression of skills to master (not just stand up landings) before downsizing - find a local mentor that knows that list and go work the list on the current canopy.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

when it comes to canopies (pretty much everything but canopies especially) i would listen to lepka. he is an awesome canopy pilot and has everything figured out and has helped me a lot when it comes to considering downsizing. i think this quote helped put it into perspective most "learn to be consistent and get better before downsizing" its easy to get ahead of yourself, but think about it, its going to be more impressive if you can do whatever you want with the size that youre on instead of being all over the place on a canopy that is too small for your skill level.

be safe! but not safe enough to be lame ;)

"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

...do something people wouldn't expect from and make the mature decision to respect your father's experience in life and skydiving, and listen to what he says.

Perfect answer IMO.

It's okay to disagree with dad but keep in mind his advice is centered around real experience and his knowledge of your skill level now. (not you Dave;))

There is plenty of time, don't worry be happy...and NEVER steal the keys to dads 150 and take it for a spin! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

When you can land that canopy upwind,downwind,crosswind,no wind,on rear risers,after a front riser dive, after a front riser 90. If my point evades you, after you learn to fly the one you have. The advise to change canopy types but not size is valid also. But I learned to swoop under a Spectre.

Ive heard from multiple people with more experience than you that i have an amazing pattern.. and to eveyone else, simply a question im 16 and im having to tell you guys to be a bit less non-confrontational? lol but i can do my pattern on rears, fronts and toggles, i know my pattern and what it should be, i do well with large sport-canopy traffic and i am a pretty conservative flyer, i mean who wouldnt be juming my canopy? Its a small downsize (10 square feet) and its a big change as far as 7 to 9 cell goes, but i have no interest in swooping anytime soon, just looking for a wee bit more performance out of my canopy flight, and its not like im gonna do a full altitude jump my first time and come blazing through the pattern hooking it and shit. :S

Ive heard from multiple people with more experience than you that i have an amazing pattern.. and to eveyone else, simply a question im 16 and im having to tell you guys to be a bit less non-confrontational? lol but i can do my pattern on rears, fronts and toggles, i know my pattern and what it should be, i do well with large sport-canopy traffic and i am a pretty conservative flyer, i mean who wouldnt be juming my canopy? Its a small downsize (10 square feet) and its a big change as far as 7 to 9 cell goes, but i have no interest in swooping anytime soon, just looking for a wee bit more performance out of my canopy flight, and its not like im gonna do a full altitude jump my first time and come blazing through the pattern hooking it and shit. :S

throw some lead on. bump up your WL and see how you go.
It's a lot cheap than a new canopy
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Dave dude here is the 16 year old mentality: Shut the fuck up and quit being a know it all douche you just made twenty assumptions that are retarded as fuck, I respect your experience and im sure i could pick up a thing or two from you but with that said, there's another jumper at are dz under 18 whose been jumping a 135 triathlon since off of aff, she weighs maybe 15-20 pounds less than me, and shes perfectly fine? i know where the fuck I'm landing and i know i can put my canopy where i want it to go, my dz's landing area is notably small. I'm obviously inexperienced that's why I'm asking, not so you can try to shove your opinion down my throat, i do respect my dad and i don't thinks hes a dumb ass or hes wrong but i don't think its necessary for me to be on a tri 160 forever. With that said I'm not insisting it HAS TO BE RIGHT THIS MINUTE but that I'm interested in changing canopy s within the next 50 jumps? Now did you really have to answer it with that connotation? or "Do you even read what you write before you post it?"
And about the whole "inexperienced in life" thing, yes i am but just cause I'm 16 and am inexperienced doesn't mean I'm fucking incoherently stupid.

Hey Flykid.

When my son was 17 I took a major risk and allowed him to start jumping against my wife's (his mother) wishes. He did pretty well and never got hurt.

He always did what I asked even stepping down off loads he wanted to get on because I didn't feel the jump would be safe.

Even though he sometimes questioned my decisions, he never argued with me and always did as I suggested.

We had many conversations about this and he always told me that he did what I asked because he really appreciated me going out on a limb for him when I didn't need to and he respected my years and experience in the sport.

For me - my advice and decisions were all about getting him to survive long enough to get his own experience.

He since has made his own name in the sport but still considers me his number one mentor.

You will never fully unerstand your dad's reasons for things untill you have your own son to worry about.

For now maybe you could cut him some slack and just be thrilled you're jumping out of planes while your friend's ideas of excitement is getting to the next level of an Xbox game.

Just a thought from a dad.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Hey Flykid.

When my son was 17 I took a major risk and allowed him to start jumping against my wife's (his mother) wishes. He did pretty well and never got hurt.

He always did what I asked even stepping down off loads he wanted to get on because I didn't feel the jump would be safe.

Even though he sometimes questioned my decisions, he never argued with me and always did as I suggested.

We had many conversations about this and he always told me that he did what I asked because he really appreciated me going out on a limb for him when I didn't need to and he respected my years and experience in the sport.

For me - my advice and decisions were all about getting him to survive long enough to get his own experience.

He since has made his own name in the sport but still considers me his number one mentor.

You will never fully unerstand your dad's reasons for things untill you have your own son to worry about.

For now maybe you could cut him some slack and just be thrilled you're jumping out of planes while your friend's ideas of excitement is getting to the next level of an Xbox game.

Just a thought from a dad.

I am grateful and its difficult to do at times, i completely understand my dads (and yours) reasoning its logical and safe, but Im also impatient and its hard at times cause i know im not completely wrong

This is true :( but also take into consideration the amount of safe jumpers that didn't wait to downsize 517 jumps that are great canopy pilots, I don't plan on jumping a tri for the rest of my skydiving "career" so i wanna explore some canopys over my first 1000* jumps and see what i like not say im gonna dive right in (no pun intended) but i feel i have the necessary piloting skills to tryout the 150 pilot and demo the difference, i dont think that a 150 pilot is like going CRAZYYY:P

Dave dude here is the 16 year old mentality: Shut the fuck up and quit being a know it all douche you just made twenty assumptions that are retarded as fuck, I respect your experience and im sure i could pick up a thing or two from you but with that said, there's another jumper at are dz under 18 whose been jumping a 135 triathlon since off of aff, she weighs maybe 15-20 pounds less than me, and shes perfectly fine? i know where the fuck I'm landing and i know i can put my canopy where i want it to go, my dz's landing area is notably small. I'm obviously inexperienced that's why I'm asking, not so you can try to shove your opinion down my throat, i do respect my dad and i don't thinks hes a dumb ass or hes wrong but i don't think its necessary for me to be on a tri 160 forever. With that said I'm not insisting it HAS TO BE RIGHT THIS MINUTE but that I'm interested in changing canopy s within the next 50 jumps? Now did you really have to answer it with that connotation? or "Do you even read what you write before you post it?"
And about the whole "inexperienced in life" thing, yes i am but just cause I'm 16 and am inexperienced doesn't mean I'm fucking incoherently stupid.

What a mouth on this boy....I'm thinking you should change your username to"FlypPunkDaddiesBoy" seems like it would suit you better.

Life is short ... jump often.