mjl06750

My first jumps in 14 hrs....

After sitting on my couch contemplating jumping for the past 8 months my first jump is tomorrow. I'm doing a tandem from 18,000 ft at my local dropzone. I want to thank everyone on here for all the advice and well wishes. I'm still not nervous which in a way is making me nervous if that makes any sense :)

It was funny to read your post, because that's how my brain was working. I was waiting for the nerves to hit. "Maybe when I get to the DZ." Nope. "Maybe once they tell me it's my turn." No again. "Maybe when I see other jumpers leave the plane." Once the fun jumpers left the plane, I did not get nervous -- I thought, "me! me! me next!" :)
It wasn't until I did AFF 12 years later that I really understood what nerves felt like! [:/] (spoiler alert: it gets better) ;)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I remember my first time. I had no appt, just got up one day and went. July 4, 1999. Walked up at 7 am, got right on the first load. 6 people, a four way team, me, and Stepheno, at Davis CA. After the 4 way said good luck to me and exited, I dragged Stepheno to the door...he laughed so hard. Then it seemed like we were in the door forever, but of course, not. Thanks to all.........:)

Life is short ... jump often.

I finally have gave up trying to put it into words. I must have sat down 10 times to write it all down and I just get stuck. Extremely intense is all I can say and I am so addicted[url] http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?feature=mhee&v=t22tfu3rDC4

For me, it hit right around jump #3...
"What the hell are you DOING?"
:o

Part of that was the T-10 pounding I was getting on landing.
:D:D

Same here, except it was a 28' flat that was dropping me in like that. Made two or three the first day, went home, and the next day it was so bad I was shaking. When I returned last summer, after quite a long layoff, it was the same thing. I was so scared on the second jump that I had the 182's strut in my ARMPIT. But it really does get better, and fairly quickly.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Don't really remember the days or hours preceding my first jump, but I do vividly recall the moment of climbing out onto the step of the 182. I wasn't really scared, but had that odd sense of detachment that seems common in those situations - as if I were dreaming it, or it was someone else's hands and feet that I was watching.

And I remember that for a few days aftwerwards I felt totally invincible - it's really a wonder that I didn't get killed wandering across the road. Do you know the movie 'Fearless'? The one where Jeff Bridges survives the plane crash and becomes convinced he's immortal? That was me. :D That reminds me, I must watch that movie again - notwithstanding Rosie Perez's screeching, it's one of my favourite films.

thats awesome! video was great. I am only a few hours from Cullman and will probably be going down to jump there sometime soon.

For me, I got a little nervous watching the video and signing all the waivers. I was thinking "this might just be the dumbest thing you've ever done." Out of all the dumb as hell things Ive done too. But once the door went up, the fear was gone. Pure excitement at that point.

Well it's been one week and 30 minutes since my last jump. I'm sitting here at work looking out the window obsessed on getting back up in the air. This is the most addicting sport in the world!

legal crack, that's what I tell everyone.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Now I've come across the Start AFF or do more tandem jumps. I felt fairly comfortable the whole way down and I didn't seem to "lose my mind". It was a great ride and I feel comfortable starting training. By no means do I want to sound cocky though and I humbly admit I have so much to learn. What do you guys recommend? I know everyone is different and there is no perfect answer. The only reason I consider another tandem is to get the feel of jumping from a lower jump instead of the 18000 ft I went out on last time. My idea behind this is it would give me a idea of how much time I would have to complete all the task involved with AFF requirements in the air. Maybe I'm just playing it safe which of course is the correct way. My concern is jumping from a lower altitude with a feeling I am going to have to rush the jump. Then again maybe I'm tripping and over thinking it all! Thanks for all the advice....all you guys are real cool to all us rookies and I am very glad to be a part of this place.

My first jump was AFF. Never did a tandem. I knew I'd love it, so I wanted as much control as I could for my first dive. So that being said, it's certainly a possibility for you. Course, the real answer is ask who you jumped with on whether or not they think you should go right to AFF :)
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.