TomSpoon

St Mary's Ga Airport Authority issues stop and desist to The Jumping Place

no way is it going to help your cause.

But you are not helping your cause with your aggressive posting style.

Airport access should not be just my cause. It should be every skydiver's cause.

You should learn what side your bread is buttered on.

I've spent an entire career (about 30 years) dealing with anti-social personalities who act-out their sociopathy aggressively. I cannot recall a single one who was successfully persuaded to see the pervasive detriment, even to their own interests, of behaving that way. They will deny, rationalize and evade, but they rarely admit, and they never, ever change. So you just go ahead and be you. I'm sure you're sure that works for you.

It is still bad form to take personal messages and post them without permission.

I agree generally, but with one glaring exception: when the PM is personally abusive toward the addressee. PMs are not a license to abuse. As far as I'm concerned, if a person uses PMs, IM, e-mail, etc. (or even old-fashioned snail-mail) to be personally abusive to the recipient, he waives his "immunity" and his message is fair game to be outed publicly - "protocol" be damned.

I agree generally, but with one glaring exception: when the PM is personally abusive toward the addressee

Bingo. A 'private' message that is private in order to protect the information given, or the person the information is about is one thing. If someone chooses to share some information about someone or something but does not want to go on the public record, and chooses to chare it via a PM, it would be in very bad form to share that info as well as the person who provided it.

However, when someone uses a PM to personally attack you with no other substance what-so-ever, they can hardly assume that it would be kept private, or that the person being attacked would repsect any wishes the attacker had to remain private.

Any discretion expected with regards to a PM is essentailly a contract between the two people involved. The sender trusts that the reciever will respect the 'private' nature, or whatever terms the sender lays out within the message, but when the message is abusive and attacking the reciever, I'm not sure the sender can reasonably expect the reciever to honor that 'contract'.

Hi Andy,

but with one glaring exception

I absolutely agree.

About two months I got a blistering email making some, IMO, uncalled for accusations. I absolutely had to just sit & let my senses get back to 'normal' before I could even consider a reply.

I eventually replied as softly & as accurately as I could; never heard anything further.

Nobody wins a flame war. :o

JerryBaumchen

this has turned into an entirely different thread. Once again the hot headed pot stirrers have taken over. Where are the Mods to keep this site legit? Back on topic- A issue 4 yrs ago is in no way a legit excuse to evict a operation and deny access. that issue is for the FAA to handle and for them to pass out punishment, not the airports responsibility. No matter how much you dislike an operation or how sour your grapes are you should protect your tax payer rights and stand against corrupt political threats to your sport and your rights. If that operation is evicted, do you really think the airport will open its arms to another one that is of your approval? If you think yes you are a fool.

It took all of about half of a page for this thread to prove why dropzone.com is the worst source for skydiving information and the best source for angry bored passive aggressive banter.

Seriously mods......do your job.

this has turned into an entirely different thread. Once again the hot headed pot stirrers have taken over. Where are the Mods to keep this site legit? Back on topic- A issue 4 yrs ago is in no way a legit excuse to evict a operation and deny access. that issue is for the FAA to handle and for them to pass out punishment, not the airports responsibility. No matter how much you dislike an operation or how sour your grapes are you should protect your tax payer rights and stand against corrupt political threats to your sport and your rights. If that operation is evicted, do you really think the airport will open its arms to another one that is of your approval? If you think yes you are a fool.

It took all of about half of a page for this thread to prove why dropzone.com is the worst source for skydiving information and the best source for angry bored passive aggressive banter.

Seriously mods......do your job.

Agree 100% or move this thread to speakers corner where it can continue forever.

That was easy:)
One Jump Wonder

this has turned into an entirely different thread. Once again the hot headed pot stirrers have taken over.

There has only been one person with a 'hot head' so far... You, I would call 'warm'.

Back on topic- A issue 4 yrs ago is in no way a legit excuse to evict a operation and deny access.

Legit or not, it is often acts like the one mentioned that create and fuel a negative situation. Sorry, but that is just a fact. You don't have to like it, but don't be so myopic that you ignore it.

No matter how much you dislike an operation(1) or how sour your grapes (2) are you should protect your tax payer rights and stand against corrupt political threats to your sport and your rights(3).

1: I have no dislike of the operation... In fact, I'd venture to say I have known Cathy longer than you and most of the other posters on this thread.

2: I also have zero sour grapes.... I have lost nothing and would gain nothing personally from any action taken no matter what the outcome. Frankly, evicted or allowed to remain will have zero impact on my life. I have never been there, doubt I would ever go there, and have zero negative feelings to her or the DZ.

So if you are trying to claim I have some personal stake in any of this.... Well, as they say in that area, "That dog will not hunt".

3: As I have already said, I support the airport access issue. You jumped the gun and made an incorrect connection that just because I disagreed with Spoons method, that I disagreed with the mission.

I quote myself here: "For the record, I support the DZ being allowed to run. But you are not helping your cause with your aggressive posting style. "

And you rant was what exactly?

You may not LIKE what people have to say, but people have the right to say it.

You may not AGREE with what people have to say, but that does not mean they are wrong.

You are free to form and express an opinion, but that does not mean you totally understand the situation or the position of the person/people you complain about.

Cause at least on this topic, your characterization of me is wrong.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

...dropzone.com is the worst source for skydiving information and the best source for angry bored passive aggressive banter.

I disagree here. DZ.com is a great source for skydiving info.

If a mindset is such that it can't filter out the good from the bad, then yes, it will often let the bad overshadow the good.

Also, skydiving IS a microcosm or real life. All sorts of people and personalities co-exist here. If one is only happy while dealing with one type of personality, then DZ.com, just like real life, is going to be a problem.

I love philosophy.
:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Also, skydiving IS a microcosm or real life. All sorts of people and personalities co-exist here. If one is only happy while dealing with one type of personality, then DZ.com, just like real life, is going to be a problem.

Fuck ... you're right.