DubJump

Hard Decks?

So in reading through some posts I notice that people talk about Hard Decks and Hard Deck Altitudes in malfunction scenarios. What does this mean? Does it have to do something with your "do not cut away" alt, flying your canopy, etc? Thanks.
Voodoo Symphony in the M-I-N-D. Wav files rub on your brain files constantly.

The hard deck is the minimum altitude that you fight a malfunction until. You don't go below it while still fighting a main mal, or evaluating a questionable canopy (torn, broken lines, ect.). It's the point where you have to have a good, landable canopy. Or chop it and go for the reserve.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You'll probably hear it referred to as your "decision altitude" in your student training.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

For me that's 1800feet. I chop it. Theoretically this should give me enough alt to accelerate back in free fall to fire my cypress at or near 1000 if I am unable to find my reserve handle.;)

It was a serious question from a n00b...hopefully he OP understands the folly of your answer.:);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For me that's 1800feet. I chop it. Theoretically this should give me enough alt to accelerate back in free fall to fire my cypress at or near 1000 if I am unable to find my reserve handle.;)

:o

Might I suggest you find that reserve handle before you chop?

Or wear an RSL?:)
You're right. That issue has bounced a lot of people. [:/]

So in reading through some posts I notice that people talk about Hard Decks and Hard Deck Altitudes in malfunction scenarios. What does this mean? Does it have to do something with your "do not cut away" alt, flying your canopy, etc? Thanks.

I'd like to add that most of the time the "hard deck" doesn't come into play. When's it's time to deploy your main, you proceed to do so. If there's any problem, most instructors teach "two tries to fix it", then straight to emergency procedures, which, of course, end with deploying the reserve. If you stick with your main deployment altitudes and with your emergency procedure training, you'll always find yourself under your reserve at a nice, safe altitude. I always have.:)
Hard deck is for when someone is screwing around with a problem they know they shouldn't be screwing around with. :P:D

I mostly hear "hard deck" when people are talking
about when to stop trying to fix it and start taking
steps to get a reserve out.

But there are all kinds of "mental gear shift" points.

When do I decide I can't make it over the freeway
or alligator farm and land over here?

When do I decide I'm not going to make it to shore
and start preparing for a water landing?

If I have a canopy collision when am I too low to
cutaway?

----

One thing about "trying to fix it" is that it's really
easy to get focused on trying to fix it, and forget
how fast you're coming down.

So to me practicing and ingraining that "Try once,
try twice" reaction is really important.

Skr

[If there's any problem, most instructors teach "two tries to fix it",

Well, some of us teach "Check altitude" first.
Sometimes it's kinda pointless to try twice if you're at or below your hard deck at terminal velocity.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239