diablopilot

Raise your hand if you think upsizing is a good idea.

Sure upsizing is a good idea. But when have skydivers, in general, ever fit the mold of a good idea? We fall out of airplanes for fun.

Fast canopies are fun too. Dangerous, but fun as hell.

Fly safe, have fun, and don't hurt anyone else.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I got brave AND bold and bought a 175 after >1000 jumps on my trusty old 190 sweetheart.

This is interesting. Why did you decide to get 175 instead of another 190?

$850 brand new.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Sure upsizing is a good idea. But when have skydivers, in general, ever fit the mold of a good idea? We fall out of airplanes for fun.

Fast canopies are fun too. Dangerous, but fun as hell.

Fly safe, have fun, and don't hurt anyone else.

Congratulations! That's gotta be one of the worst sophisms I've ever read. :D:D
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

My brother started jumping last year after a 25 year break. He bought a brand new Pilot 168. Although he could fly it will and land without problems it was a bitch to pack. B| so This winter we swapped it for a Pulse 190 from a kid who was keen to downsize. (last we heard he was unable to pack the pilot ;) ).

Seems there are so many larger canopies going cheap from the "I must downsize" crowd I might just trade in my old Pulse 170 for a newish 190. :)
To be fair, we are both in our mid 50's and want to carry on for some years.

I would love to have a 220-260 barge - I used to jump a Parafoil 282 for ful (loaded well below 1:1) but it was a junker, got rid of it and the 'big' rig.

Boogies in the midwest are a special concern ~ think about it, you have jumpers that year round jump either 4 or 6 at a time, and never have to think about canopy traffic. Then, once a year at their favorite boogie, they jump from Turbines carrying 20-30.

I am looking at purchasing a Flight Concepts Demo canopy (Startac I) just to hang above the crowd and set it down or for sinking into tight spots.
=========Shaun ==========

Seems there are so many larger canopies going cheap from the "I must downsize" crowd I might just trade in my old Pulse 170 for a newish 190. :)

I have been looking for a first rig and I think the upsizing craze started by this thread has largely depleted the available rigs of normal size. Only tiny stuff out there or everyone is clammering over the few for sale. No less than 6 people said they wanted a 210 rig that came up for sale yesterday.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I just recently sold my Velocity 96 and trying to sell my Katana 107. I have flown these canopies for years and love the speed and adrenaline that it provided.
But, having opened up a DZ in another country where we perform tandems only where I am not flying those canopies as often as I should in order to say current, I realized that I am endangering the lives of myself and friends in the air.
I am in no way saying we should stop those who choose to fly them, but until the USPA and manufacturers does something to implement proper training requirements, i will remain in brakes flying my new Spectre 120.

I have been looking for a first rig and I think the upsizing craze started by this thread has largely depleted the available rigs of normal size. Only tiny stuff out there or everyone is clammering over the few for sale. No less than 6 people said they wanted a 210 rig that came up for sale yesterday.

No, that's pretty typical, especially this time of year (beginning of the season in many parts of the world). There's a smaller pool of available gear in the 210/230 range and if it's in good shape and well-priced, it'll go quickly for those who want gear in that range.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would love to have a 220-260 barge -

It might be beneficial to the youngsters for us to stop referring to larger canopies with derogatory terms such as barge, boat, floatie, etc.

It promotes the mindset of, "I can't be one of the cool kids if I fly a boat."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I do. I'm tired of this go fast without consideration or training making the environment I play in more dangerous. I'm now more fearful of the parachute decent than the freefall or deployment.

I put my money where my mouth is this year. Went up in size, 88 to a 120, and selected a type that lets me float more so to place my self in the safest airspace for landing.

Brother I will sit under a 220 all daaaayyy long and watch the world go by. You sir, are in it for the long haul. See you on the beach ;)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts