diablopilot

Raise your hand if you think upsizing is a good idea.

I like big canopys. I have dropped some weight and my wingload is about .86 on my 328..... The problem is the tail gunner drinks more beer than I do. and the sparrow air to air missle is a bitch to pack.....

'Front toward enemy' ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One advantage of small canopies are that they are able to penetrate more in winds and may be less susceptible to turbulence.

I disagree about the turbulence thing, ever take a small canopy into a stadium? ;)

Indeed... and when you lose a few cells for a moment or longer to that turbulence, the more square footage you have left in the remaining cells will probably determine whether the ambulance-in-residence peeps will have to go to work.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

I have been jumping the same size canopies for the last 5 years, and am about 15lbs lighter than I was back then.

does that count ?

Yes!

Of course, how much it counts depends on how much you weighed to start with. If you were 150 pounds, you've reduced your weight by ten percent and your wing loading by n percent after counting the rig weight.

If you were 250 to start, then not so big a difference, but at the sizes common these days, even a five percent decrease in wing loading can pay dividends on that day you need it.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Okay so here's my question. For the most part many people off student status base their main on being 1:1 WL minus of course smaller people that going below 150 is riskier due to being under HP canopies.

Now once I was off student status I wanted to be VERY conservative, so I purchased a Pilot 188, with my gear on that puts me at a WL of .93. (with gear I am approx flux between 170-175 depending on how much junk food or beer I consume).

However, I have been really working on my canopy skills and notice I can do absolutely nothing with my front risers due to the pressure, even attempting to place both hands in one loop and pulling diagonally across my body is near impossible, it about gives me a hernia in the attempt.

I jumped a friend's Pilot 168 and found that while it is still a little difficult (need to get to the gym and work on those muscle groups) I have greater success, so I am contemplating downsizing to the 168 which would bring me to 1.04 WL. If I downsize I confident that unless I lost a lot of weight I don't see me going any lower.

Background: I've jumped just a hair less than 200 jumps under my current 188 with decent landings most of the time; I slide on occasion, but for the past year or so I've had controlled landings and have take 2 canopy courses; 1 each year the past couple years.

So long story long, would any of you ever recommending "downsizing" in order to gain additional control factors for the canopy?
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

new AFF jumper here. can somebody explain to me what the advantages of a larger canopy are? If you are careful with a smaller canopy, how is it more dangerous?

wouldn't a larger canopy actually be more affected by wind gusts due to the larger relative size compared to the weight of the skydiver?

also, if a smaller canopy is quicker to steer, is it not more capable to save you in situations where you need to avoid canopy collisions, or when you are having trouble finding a place to land.

Not trying to go against the conventional wisdom here, I just want to be as safe as possible in this sport... so I like to understand the reasoning behind everything I'm taught.

same boat here. i've been a sponge on dizzy since i started and alot of the times i want a good understanding of the reasoning behind some of the topics discussed.

quick background
i'm a fresh jumper with 10 jumps most of the time someone asks a question of this type the common answer is ask your dzo. unfortunatly, i'm in japan and have very little japanese skills and vise versa at the dz's here. not to say they can't explain it, just not as well as someone naturally speaking english.

Yes I keep a copy of this in my gear bag. I dont even attempt #5 due to I cant do fronts at altitude so no way I'm going to attempt it close to the hard earth. #7 is hard as well, but I have been practicing flying with rears from long spots, but haven't attempted landing with them; its a little intimidating.

Appreciate the feedback.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

Good thread! I've never been on the small canopy bandwagon, but I'm also doing something I thought I'd never do, jump a canopy under 200 square feet!

It took me 10 years and 1500 jump to go from 230 square feet to 190 square feet, so I doubt I'll ever go smaller than my Storm 190 loaded about 1.3, and I purposely left room in my container sizing to go back the other way!

I'm not getting any younger! :D

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

More pain in my bad leg last winter had be sitting on my ass too much.

After reading through the complete thread I feel as if I have been listening to ongoing conversation in a retirement home for elderly skydivers; I'm waiting for someone to mention their prostate, amnesia, reading glasses (where did I leave them?) reduced sex-drive and old war wounds.

I like that! B| *raizes hand*

"Hey kids - upsizing may be for old farts but you better start with it soon enough if you are planning on joining their ranks in your skydiving future!" ;)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Very helpful. Not looking to upsize or downsize but buy my first rig I was asking today at my DZ the upside to staying in a larger canopy. Even at a wing loading of .76 I enjoy the ride not the speed of the canopy.

And as long as Scotty Carbone is around, we can't say there aren't any old, bold skydivers

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I do. I'm tired of this go fast without consideration or training making the environment I play in more dangerous. I'm now more fearful of the parachute decent than the freefall or deployment.

I put my money where my mouth is this year. Went up in size, 88 to a 120, and selected a type that lets me float more so to place my self in the safest airspace for landing.

Yeah i went through this two years ago. 99 up to a 107, up to a 130 and floaty-er with great glide. I might have been landing last on the load (aside from the Solo Students) but I was safe.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

...upsize?? downsize?? why not just FIND, and stick with, the right size???
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Yes! After riding a Star Trac 290 for a few hundred jumps I downsized eight years ago to a Triathalon 220. Plenty fast enough. If I lose a toggle on the flare I might break an ankle, but I won't die. B|

Cheers,
Jon S.

I dunno, Diablo.

I got brave AND bold and bought a 175 after >1000 jumps on my trusty old 190 sweetheart. I only used him for those times when I had to do back-to-backs and my girl wasn't packed....there you have it. I'm a confessed downsizer.

HI! My name is Andy and I was a downsizer!
[:/]

Maybe at my age, you're right. I should hang up and retire the 175 and stick to the 190 only. She has been awfully good to me.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239