diablopilot

Raise your hand if you think upsizing is a good idea.

I do. I'm tired of this go fast without consideration or training making the environment I play in more dangerous. I'm now more fearful of the parachute decent than the freefall or deployment.

I put my money where my mouth is this year. Went up in size, 88 to a 120, and selected a type that lets me float more so to place my self in the safest airspace for landing.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

In the last 5 years I went from a 170 to a 190 to a 210...

The 210 is loaded 1.2:1, I have my fun, I never get dirty and I figured that was the best way to hopefully get ANOTHER 30 some years in the sport!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The 210 is loaded 1.2:1, I have my fun, I never get dirty and I figured that was the best way to hopefully get ANOTHER 30 some years in the sport!;)

Until someone under a small canopy runs into the back of you...

It's a 210...came with a tail gunner! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I stand corrected!

my hand is raised...
i went from a Spectre 210 to a Spectre 230...about a year ago...
H P canopy swooping has only appealed to me, as a spectator sport....

I'm absolutely well fearful of the solid ground. [:/] and of contacting it at too high a rate of speed...or too incorrect an angle of approach...
But, to each his own. :|;)

The Main that i'm using now, has more square feet than my first apartment.....B|
... upsize?? downsize?? why not just FIND, and stick with, the right size???

jmy

Well, I didn't upsize, I just didn't downsize. I've had the same 170 for 11 years now (I could handle a 150 easily at my current weight). What I found interesting was the comment from a rig manufacturere at the Expo. I was looking at his rig and mentioned that it would never fit my canopy. He said, "well, someday you too will be able to use this size rig", indicating that maybe I was new to the sport. My reply; "I don't want to!". He seemed a little stunned.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Heh!!.

But careful what you say. "Tail gunner" has another, very different meaning where I come from...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I just bought a second rig to replace my aging second Reflex. It's the first rig I've ever bought new that I bought specifically so it could hold a bigger main than I am planning on using with it, so I can upsize when this canopy wears out.

But the 170 was loaded at 1:1 back then :P

I am fighting the downsizing bug but finding it hard.

here is what's hard, my friend...
the Ground. :S

the ground is HARD and sometimes even Water is hard.:o:|.. but many times, the hardEST thing ( or things ) may be the HEADS of those who can become possessed with..... "the need for speed".... [:/]:|[:/]

safety first , and what the hell !! safety second too...!

jt

H P canopy swooping has only appealed to me, as a spectator sport....

I won medals in it, but have grown to see it as a sport that needs to be separate from the whole of skydiving.

I feel like this thread would be more accurate if you guys all posted your wing loadings.

JP, if you were loading your 88 @ 2.5, you'd still be loading your 120 @ 1.8, that's still a pretty feisty canopy.

True, but 1.8 is closer to the 1.2ish that I find is the common wing loading among low(er) experienced skydivers then 2.5 is. It stresses me out a lot less to be flying in that smaller wing loading gap.

PS I think the next new rig is going to be 150's.

In all fairness, its a lot easier to upsize once you have had you fill of fun (or broken yourself) under a small super fast canopy. There are many many jumpers out there that want to experience that speed and responsive handling. Unfortunately it seems many of them are not willing to wait until they have the experience to handle them in every situation.
Hell, thinking of the Intentional Cutaway thread, I would love to do an intentional cutaway provided I could deploy and fly a sub-100 main just to see what it is like - I have NO interest in trying to land one (nor do I have the skills to do so), and I really dont care about doing an intentional cutaway (I already have 3 "for real" cutaways) - but I would do one just to see what the fuss is about with the small HP canopies (on an altitude hop and pop only, last out so I had time to fly and play and wasnt a danger to anyone else).
My point is, its easy to call for upsizing when you have already been on the small canopies and know what its all about.
Edit to add I have 20ish jumps on a Vengeance 170 loaded at 1.4, and I still have the canopy but it was fast enough to scare me (and I was smart enough to swap it out until I have more experience) - and I still want to know what the difference is between that and a canopy like a Velo loaded at 2.0+...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Well, I didn't upsize, I just didn't downsize.

This. Well, I went from a 230 7-cell to a 210 9-cell, but haven't budged since (and have no plans to). Reserves have always been 218s, and I just put together a 2nd rig with exactly the same 210/218 configuration. I'm happy where I am and have no plans to change.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My point is, its easy to call for upsizing when you have already been on the small canopies and know what its all about.

I know. But setting the example is the best way I know how to use that experience I have to slow things down. We've been learning as we go this past few years, and I think that it's safe to say that there is a point at which the wing loading spread gets too big for everyone's safety.

All true, but the genie is out of the lamp on this one. Despite your good example, many jumpers are going to want "that" experience of flying a 2.0+/and/or/sub-100 canopy.
Seems to me that the w/l spread is already too big for everyone's safety...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Just go the whole hog and go bigger again, and you might get another 50 years...

God! That'd make Twardo like... 160 years old? I'm sorry. Did I type that out loud? ;)

I've been looking for two larger canopies for both my rigs. I now jump a 135 Sabre and a 135 Stiletto. I'm looking for a couple 150 Stiletto's. I figure I'm old enough to get the senior discount, so, I'm old enough to upsize. B|

... and, thanks for starting this thread.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."