trigger

Cutaways/Reserve rides..Who's the king of Chops

I was a on a jump MANY years ago with someone named Forest McBride, just an old jumper and great jump pilot. That jump he had his 50th reserve ride, according to several sources on the load. I remember we all told him he earned his B-license on reserve rides!

I have had 4 chops in my 21 years and 2700 jumps. None since the mid 90s, it's been awhile.

In 13267 jumps I have had around 60. !8 were tandems of the 3652 I have done . My first was at 600 on a ropes and rings Baby Plane. . Then the fun started. If you made 20 in a row without it was a miracle. The slider cleaned that up alot, Then I bought Unit # 26 . I had back to back cutaways many times. but never 3 consecutive jumps. I had back to back on Tandems twice. I also went 4968 jumps in 19 1/2 years without one on my gear and pack jobs. That was not counting the tandems not packed by me during the same time
period. As I always said if it has to go it has to go BFD

14 on sport gear
5 on tandems....2 back to back ~B|

19 total

~if ya don't count the planned 'stunt' demo performance chops.
Maybe a few dozen of those before the brain finally kicked in and said screw this. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

One on jump number 15. hand deployed front mount then chopped the cheapo as it was occillating pretty bad and srewing up the 24 footer. turned out i jumped a field packed cheapo. still had a couple of daisy chains in the lines when picked up.
2nd was when the right riser was somehow disconnected in freefall, R3? type cutaway system. pitched to find only half a PC, completed the other side and onto a tri con round reserve. PA Trim Pig rig.
no problems since. good gear and consistant packing.

I feel better now. I think I have 14 reserve rides; I used to experiment with my gear :)
In the last 1300 jumps I've had 3 -- a total from a poorly-packed pilot chute (entirely my fault), and two brake fires on packer-packed canopies. Basically also my fault, because the brake loop was a little loose -- I fixed it after that. Both were during bigway events when I was a low opener -- on a spinning Diablo there isn't a lot of time to mess with it, so I didn't.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

First of all, there are intentional cut-aways from guys like test jumpers, who may have a lot of chops, but not so many malfunctions, and wearing an extra reserve on top of their regular gear.

So I think what you're really asking is about actual unintentional, unplanned malfunction cut-aways.

And then there's the ratio of cut-aways to jumps which is important. Someone with 5 cut-aways in 500 jumps is viewed differently from someone with 5 cut-aways in 5,000 jumps.

And finally, I wouldn't call someone with the highest number of cut-aways, or the highest ratio of cut-aways to jumps, a "king". They might be doing something wrong with their packing, gear or techniques to cause that problem, making them the court jester instead. I would reserve the title of "king" for the person with the *lowest* ratio of cut-aways to jumps. That's the true king.

John i think you've taken this thread out of context. (Please read earlier posts)
I created it in the name of 'Fun' though i do appreciate that EP's are a serious business.
As already stated intentionals don't count.
CRW definately counts.
And in the name of "Fun" maths doesn't count either so please no jump ratios per chop equations its simply who's had the most earns the crown.:P

If you like you could start a cutaway avoidence, my gear choice and packing skills are unrivalled thread with all the facts, fiqures and top tips on symmetrical packing, with the jumper with"Lowest"ratio of cutaways to jumps crowned.

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

you could start a cutaway avoidence, my gear choice and packing skills are unrivalled thread with all the facts, fiqures and top tips on symmetrical packing, with the jumper with"Lowest"ratio of cutaways to jumps crowned.

Seems a lot smarter somehow than "crowning" the person who keeps jumping out of perfectly good airplanes without making perfectly sure there's a perfectly good main parachute on his back. :)
(Approaching A-license on reserve: 20+. Then again, I never said I was the smartest kid on the block...)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

the person who keeps jumping out of perfectly good airplanes without making perfectly sure there's a perfectly good main parachute on his back.

I'd be really interested to see a method to do that. It would cut the bounces resulting from malfunctions to about....zero.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....