rss_v

How can I fix these problems in my jumping? (AFF)

Well I admire your tenacity. Regardless of how well the jumps are going, are you enjoying them? If you are finding it much too stressful maybe the dz would let you do tandems for the balance?

Otherwise as pops says maybe some no pressure jumps.

Good luck whatever you do.

for a cash-strapped person, tandem is the last thing he should do. Might as well get 10 mins of Wind-tunnels where he'l definitely learn something instead of 1 skydive jump where he is just a "tourist".

just imo.

Hugs & Cheers!
Shc

Here's some interesting reading. This is logbook entries from one of our most respected Canopy Relative Work (CReW) skydivers, Wendy Faulkner.

You think you are having problems with getting licensed?
Read her logbook and compare. You're gonna love this.

http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/HowCRW.html
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Contact Ally Milne at Airkix Tunnel. Tell him your story and book some tunnel time with him. He'll sort you out. [email protected] or 07973 282970

Brain overload is fairly common doing this, its not a natural place for us humans to be. Some time in the tunnel will help you sort out your body, and the "flying" part, if you dont have to think about that bit, you can concentrate on the rest of the jump.

good luck.

Find better Instructors.

Okay, I won't leave that dangling . . .

There are some Instructors that shy away from problem students and some that welcome them. The ones that welcome them make it their business to see that you succeed.

They don't get wrote up in PARACHUTIST, get gold medals hung around their necks, don't get called athletes, or cop big endorsements from beverage companies. But they put their heads down at night re-winding the fact you finally turned and burned on your AFF Level 5. And that makes them sleep like babies . . .

So like I said, find better Instructors . . .

NickD :)

I am glad you said it, but I was thinking it.

Pops shared the link to Windy's log book some time back, with me. I have struggled with stability in AFF release jumps and I know I put too much pressure on myself. I am sure the 15 minutes in the wind tunnel helped me but it was not a sudden cure.

In an effort to slow the pace, reduce preformance pressure, and make it more fun, I have been doing static line jumps. I might be better suited for static line because I passed the other Windy's "Are you an old fart" test last week.

Or maybe IAD if static line is not offered.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Yeah I sucked when learning :). Could land the parachute on a dime but sucked I'm Freefall.

Tunnel time can definitely help. The relaxation skydive as well..
Someone else mentioned going out during the week - if that is possible usually the pace is quite a bit slower which might help you.

Also make sure you know the skydive like the back of our hand. Practice it hundreds of time at home - and even more importantly close your eyes and visualize yourself doing it perfectly.

It took me 50 plus jumps before I relaxed in Freefall. Static line was slightly easier for me because the money cost of repeating AFF jumps was a huge stress for me. If you are at a location where you might can do some static lime program jumps it might help you. They cost less and there is less to do on the Skydives.

Read my logbook - its highly entertaining. FYI I am now an AFF instructor and have been on multiple world records - but I used to tr to time my pull on blue green blue green and try to pull on green :)

...but I used to tr to time my pull on blue green blue green and try to pull on green :)

Timing is everything!
:D:D:D

I don't care who you are....that right there is funny.
;)

Well I admire your tenacity. Regardless of how well the jumps are going, are you enjoying them? If you are finding it much too stressful maybe the dz would let you do tandems for the balance?

Otherwise as pops says maybe some no pressure jumps.

Good luck whatever you do.

for a cash-strapped person, tandem is the last thing he should do. Might as well get 10 mins of Wind-tunnels where he'l definitely learn something instead of 1 skydive jump where he is just a "tourist".

just imo.

Hugs & Cheers!
Shc

Sorry maybe it wasn't clear. It comes across that he has paid the money to the dz, but is not even certain that he want's to continue. To quote "I have paid the money I may as well spend it".

If someone is not enjoying the jumps as they are simply too stressful and they are only doing it because they would rather not throw the money away, then perhaps spending that money on tandems is an option.

Visualize and rehearse mentally. I'm a pretty new jumper myself but I found going through the whole jump, or most of it, all in my head helped me know exactly what to do when the time came.

Trust the arch. I'll admit, I still chip now and then, and I'm far from super smooth even at my best. You can practice almost everything on the ground though. Obviously your instructors at the DZ are the best ones to tell you what to practice and how to do it but I would also just throw one more thing at you which is practice reaching on the carpet or on a creeper. Oh and don't quit, cheers.

As a spanking new jumper (club solo ok) I really don't have the experience to make a suggestion. The reason I respond is for one reason. I too am VERY self critical. Even my AFF instructors told me to relax and have fun. The relax and have fun was my last jump of the season. When I touched down I was PUMPED!! None of the previous jumps felt so good.

Everyone has very good points and suggestions.....the one that really struck home was from Pops. He mentioned going on what could be considered a fun jump. The owner/operator who could be considered a guru, grabbed me and said lets go have fun.We went up and I had the best and last jump of the season. I think no pressure jumps are very beneficial. Remember that this is supposed to be fun for you. Don't give up because you're frustrated.

OK i am still really new. I do not feel every drop zone is about making money from level repeats although i did spend a hell of a lot. I really feel some want you to love the sport as much as they do. That being said I repeated many levels I think everyone at the entire drop zone had a hand in my teaching. I did finish AFF then totally lost all my shit and went to hell EVERYONE TRIED to help me and at 29 jumps i am now finally ready to start my coach jumps. Performance anxiety over thinking. The only thing i could do was pull stable and maintain altitude awareness. I got it had it then I lost it. I screwed everything else up from jump 13 to 29 but they stayed with me a entire drop zone of REAL skydivers and instructors to help me and it was not about money for the REAL skydivers at my drop zone they gave me what they could give me knowledge and time and patience. KEY thing believe it or not what they teach you on CATEGORY A is RELAX quit thinking teach your body to do its thing and enjoy it. WELL sounds good see how my first coach jump goes GOOD LUCK I love jumping out of that airplane. I love it so much.

Oh i went to the tunnel too twice only thing it taught me was I look like a damn wood board when I thought i was relaxed> telling someone to relax who thinks they are doing a damn good job of faking looking relaxed would piss the shit out of me I was like look her buddy I am relaxed see me looking relaxed now leave me alone. The wind tunnel showed me that just cause you think you faking it really good looking relaxed the video shows how up tight you really are. I actually get a little giggle now when they say relax or give the hand signal cause i know my bluff aint working.

when they say relax or give the hand signal cause i know my bluff aint working.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does "relax" mean to you? Instructors often say it and they often give the hand signal but what are you, the student, supposed to do?

when they say relax or give the hand signal cause i know my bluff aint working.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does "relax" mean to you? Instructors often say it and they often give the hand signal but what are you, the student, supposed to do?

yea, haha. How does one "relax"? I have no idea. I always get the signal. I assume it means to soften my body and make it more responsive to the air, instead of trying to hold a rigid shape that's probably not right anyway.

Ok relax First i thought look around act tired I could actually do it mentally or thought i looked pretty cool. Had no idea that it ment get your shoulders down below your ears and that stick out of your a**. So yes make your body responsive to the air if your not thinking about where your body has to be every second its not forced you do not have to tell your body to reach out now turn handle open door when you are at home it just does it. See the difference in your arm when you think about every step you take and the difference in when you just walk. At least that's what is working for me right now> GOOD LUCK DO NOT QUIT!!!!

Ok relax First i thought look around act tired I could actually do it mentally or thought i looked pretty cool. Had no idea that it ment get your shoulders down below your ears and that stick out of your a**. So yes make your body responsive to the air if your not thinking about where your body has to be every second its not forced you do not have to tell your body to reach out now turn handle open door when you are at home it just does it. See the difference in your arm when you think about every step you take and the difference in when you just walk. At least that's what is working for me right now> GOOD LUCK DO NOT QUIT!!!!

yea, valid. I don't think it's something one can just do suddenly in the air in response to a hand signal, though. It will come from extended practice, such as in a tunnel. Hopefully.

[reply

Pops, I'll bite. Tell us how to relax (better).

My first jump the diveflow went wonderful. Practice pulls all without any help. 8000 feet and nothing else to do but what the clock.....and what else did they say...thinking to myself.....RELAX. I was cool, no problems....looking at my hands, I looked like I could claw the slate off a caulkboard. I relaxed my arms, shoulders, and hands. I noticed my hands lifted up an inch or two, which I would think is good.

I can't say I have that been that relaxed in the jumps since then. So, any tips?

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

May sound silly, but smiling can help you relax. I've seen it loads of times watching beginners in the tunnel. The instructor does something to make them smile or giggle and suddenly they have a nice relaxed stable arch. And once they have felt what it's like to be relaxed, when they tense up again they actually do start to relax in response to the signal.
Anne

....looking at my hands, I looked like I could claw the slate off a caulkboard. I relaxed my arms, shoulders, and hands. I noticed my hands lifted up an inch or two, which I would think is good.

This is why I asked. All too often students are told "relax!" with no explanation on what that really means.
And it means different things to different people.

What we, as instructors could do better across the board is explain exactly what we are looking for when we say "relax!".

Here's what I tell my students:
-Relax means to let you hands go limp. Hence, the limp-wristed hand signal.

-Take a deep breath, let your hands go limp and smile. Let the air blow by you smoothly.

-If you get a "relax" signal, it's because you are tense and stiff. You will feel the air bouncing you around.
(I demonstrate what you described as the "claw the slate off a caulkboard.")

-Let your hands go limp, quit fighting the air, and you will feel the air pushing your arms back and you'll feel the freefall smooth out considerably which is what we are after.
(I demonstrate the limp wrists with a smile and an exaggerated calm expression on my face.)

If some other instructor has a better presentation, it would be great if you would share it here for the benefit of all of us.

"claw the slate off a caulkboard"....

"I noticed my hands lifted up an inch or two, which I would think is good"
Yes, it is. It's one of the effects of actually "relaxing" in the air.

I was a tense freefall student. Back in the day, I was a plank. What got me over the hump was my first solo after AFF where I did nothing but float and enjoy the view that God gave us. It was about the middle of the freefall when I realized how smooth everything felt.

This is why I asked. All too often students are told "relax!" with no explanation on what that really means.
And it means different things to different people.

It does indeed take some explanation. For example, that one can relax too much too. Lower legs bouncing in and out randomly in the air stream, strange body positions on a tumbled exit, etc. One has to apply some muscle power to attain and hold the desired body position (arch and all that), yet still not be rigidly stiff.

So shouting at a student like a drill sergeant to RELAX!! isn't correct? ;)

So shouting at a student like a drill sergeant to RELAX!! isn't correct? ;)

PFC Schmidt, after the initial culture shock wears off, would probably think it is.
:D:D;)

Actually what stressed me out the most was the thought of screwing up again and looking like the big LOSER with everyone trying to help me. AND the money of course. It was fear of fucking up not fear of falling, skydiving, plane, lost of awareness, hitting bird shit or anything else i have read in these forums I just could not stand the fact Every time i left the step of that plane I wasted 2000 feet getting stable and knew there was no way I was doing a hop n pop with those exits Some of the help was like are you afraid of hitting the step cause i did that once hurt like hell but i was ok. I thought well come to think of it I never thought about hitting the step with my face UNTIL NOW. OR do not worry about hitting the tail hardly ever happens WELL never thought about that until NOW. BUT Everyone was so helpful in so many different ways and I was given some things to think about that i never thought of before! But I hope i got it no jumping last week due to weather hope i can do the same thing this weekend that I did two weeks ago.It made skydiving fun again not like a job i had to complete because honestly it was still a rush but I was not having fun on the jumps 16-21. I used to enjoy even the ride to the DZ then I got to hating it I could no longer dream about skydiving or even think of skydiving or even practice arching and body position or exits without hating it and it was like a light switch what I loved ONE DAY over night I hated everything about it I just wanted to end this shit get my A license and be done. Well Jump 23-29 I remembered everything I loved about it AND remembered the human body does not have to eat everyday I can skip 2 days food for one jump and Goodwill sales great stuff. DO NOT QUIT YOU WILL LOVE it again!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

If anyone is still reading this thread - how long do you think I need in the tunnel? To give you more info, I have passed level 4 (just about) previously. The tunnel is cheaper than jumping but still "expensive" so though I'm sure every extra minute helps, basically what I want is just enough to get me through my AFF with no more rejumps. Are we talking about 10 minutes, 20, 30, more?

It's cheaper per minute the more I book, of course, so if I go for less and end up needing more, I pay more than I would have if I bought it all at once. You know how it works.

What do you reckon?

Thanks

1) There's no good answer to that question - it will depend on you, your coach, and what your problems really turn out to be.

But.

2) There is no such thing as "too much" tunnel. It's certainly expensive, but the minutes you spend in there will benefit your flying no matter how many they are - if your standard increases to the point where the rest of your AFF is a breeze, it's certainly not a waste. I know you want to be as efficient as possible and you're really focused on finishing your AFF, but your skydiving journey is just beginning after that.

Even if you did ten hours coached, you'd still just be scratching the surface of what the tunnel can teach you B|

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?