Bandito

Ambulance chasers?

Scary stuff!

I'm currious? What is it you find scary, the fact that people die skydiving or the that lawyers will find a way to sue everyone?

it reads like a classified ad:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"The Fremont County Sheriff's Office is reportedly very carefully examining the parachutes and harnesses to try and establish the cause of the accident. In the event that the investigation finds defective or poorly maintained equipment, the skydiving company or product manufacturer may be held liable for this tragic accident."

How many skydivers, who are not riggers, could figure this puzzle out? What makes the law officers think they know enough to? At most, a paper trail (if there is any evidence of negligence) is all.

Who will they call on to verify the "airworthiness" of the rig? Not Sheriff Bob, unless he's a rigger.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I doubt there will be a successsful "Workers Comp" claim made here. Unless the skydive businesss is different from most, instructors are not employees. They are independent contractors for the tandem jumps.

On general tort liability: I think I have seen this law firm advertise on a billboard on the interstate, "Hurt in a skiing accident? Call us..." yadda yadda. There are these scum law firms who don't like the idea that whitwater rafting, snomobile renters, skydivng companies, ski areas,hot air baloon companies etc etc have their customers sign waivers. In the ski industry, they don't sign waivers, but there is a waiver printed on the back of each ski ticket and it is posted at the area, and is part of the electronic ski pass applicatinos. Sports waivers here in Colorado, and elsewhere are almost always upheld, as they protect against accidents involving ordinary negligence. We all know that. If the waiver is good, the lawsuits generally don't get anywhere. Sooooo, it seems like this law firm is trying to make an end run around the sports waiver and try for a workers comp. recovery. Unfortunaely for them, I hope, I doubt the proper business relationship (employer-employee) exists between the skydiving operation and the tandem instructor to do that. That is one reason, of many, why all skydiving instrutors are contracted by DZ's as independent contractors and get 1099's instead of being employees. I think this law firm is just making comments for thier own newsletter, and in the final anaysis will find they can't proceed on a workers comp theory.

If that fails, then I suppose then they will have to try to attack the waiver etc like we see so often, and try for tort liability. Also the lawyers will probaly investigae to see if the instructor has his Class III med, is properly lic by the mfg and has his USPA qual stuff in order, etc.. Hope the DZ has a good waiver and the instrutor's qual stuff is all in place. If their waiver is good, and the instr. quals are in order, this thing will probably go away-eventually, after the DZ owner spends good money to hire his own lawyer to fend off this crap.

I doubt there will be a successsful "Workers Comp" claim made here. Unless the skydive businesss is different from most, instructors are not employees. They are independent contractors for the tandem jumps.

Should be interesting to see if that remains true over the next few years. TMs are no longer weekenders helping out the club. People are dng this for their full time employment.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I'd like to PM you about this...its important, but your profile doesn't seem to allow it...can you change that?.

To everyone:

Be VERY careful what you say here. I strongly suspect that this is a not so subtle attempt to stir up trouble for the DZ involved....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

There are these scum law firms who don't like the idea that whitwater rafting, snomobile renters, skydivng companies, ski areas,hot air baloon companies etc etc have their customers sign waivers.

Not saying you are wrong....
I think money is the driving force here.

On the other hand, what's so bad about a business advertising its services? Nearly all of them do it....for good reason.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

ditto...

You just seem very interested in specific topics/posts. ;)

Is that a bad thing?

Is it so bad to take a "better safe than sorry" approach to this situation?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239