Longbow1415

Roll the nose or not

Hi Guys,
I have just short of 1000 jumps and have returned back to Skydiving after a long break (marriage and kids)
I am using a Hurricane 150, second hand with 450 jumps on it.
Openings are on heading but can be hard, I am rolling the nose as i did on my canopies back in the late 90's, but the info i am getting now is that nose rolling will not slow the opening down on the latest kit?
I welcome your thoughts on how to get soft and slow openings.

Hi Guys,
I have just short of 1000 jumps and have returned back to Skydiving after a long break (marriage and kids)
I am using a Hurricane 150, second hand with 450 jumps on it.
Openings are on heading but can be hard, I am rolling the nose as i did on my canopies back in the late 90's, but the info i am getting now is that nose rolling will not slow the opening down on the latest kit?
I welcome your thoughts on how to get soft and slow openings.

I think pd has an article on this. On early generation zp canopies it was advised, but not newer canopies. I jump a Sabre 1 and roll the nose, if I don't it hurts. When jumping Sabre 2's I don't roll the nose. It may be the canopy but I don't get on heading openings on the Sabre 1.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Are you spitting the slider and making sure it stays in place throughout the pack job?
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Try pushing the (unrolled) nose into the center of the material as you propack (just before you wrap the tail)... I've found that to cure my opening problems more than rolling the nose. It also gives me onheading openings. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Cheers, I will try the un rolled nose pushed into the canopy. i dont mind firm and have had many of those in the past, but hate openings where it is a hold your breath time when letting the pilot chute go.
I can tell you the sport has changed sooo much since i left in 97. Great to be back though. Thanks again

is the canopy manual on the manufacturer's website

I always start with the actual instructions and see how it goes before making changes

I don't see the canopy manual here (only the container) but maybe it's in here somewhere - http://www.parachutesystemsusa.com/hurricane.html

(I took a 5 year layoff over a decade ago - when I got back we were then into zero p fabrics and much more agile canopies - I was very surprised that rolling the nose was pretty much deleted from packing - but now it makes sense)

The PD manual for packing ellipticals is on their website for reference.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

is the canopy manual on the manufacturer's website

I always start with the actual instructions and see how it goes before making changes.

Bill is spot on with this statement. I was assuming you were following the MFG Instructions....

Also, you may want to talk to a rigger. Are the lines in trim? :o
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Ditto on the pocket slider. Stuffing the nose can lead to pushing lines you've worked so hard to get in the middle of the pack-job, starting to move around the outside, and increasing chances of a line over. Monkeying around with the pack-job can be fleeting at best in controlling opening speed. A pocket slider provides a controlled consistent way to control opening speed once the canopy has undone all your fancy packing tricks and starts to inflate.

Meh...pocketed slider only if other methods of packing are not working to slow down the opening speed.

Pulling the nose of the slider out after pushing in the nose works for nearly all canopies as an adjustment for opening speed.

Want fast? Don't pull it out very far.
Want slow? Pull it out a great deal.

Some canopies may need the nose rolled in addition to whatever you do to the slider.

Opens fast no matter what? You MAY need a different slider....maybe.

I got a big kick out of watching a guy roll the nose on a Triathlon and then not quartering the slider on the nose of it. To each his own, though.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You are right...to each their own, but a pocketed slider works and you don't have to worry about packing special. It opens soft.

Yep. They certainly work. I've seen enough Sabre1s that the pocketed slider did wonders for. A couple of Ravens used as mains, too.

Slider adjustment is not a "special" packing technique. It's all normal. Rolling the nose IS a "special" technique.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

jumped the bladerunner and hurricane(145 and 150). On both, just pushed thee nose so deep when propacking it.

On the blade, I initially changed to a slightly bigger slider, which also helped, think the hur came with a bigger slider as standard.

Yeehaa, you are back in the game.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.