JefferyHale

My Skydiving Video

Hello, I just registered & figured my first thread wouldn't be just an introduction. I have three jumps under my belt thus far & I begin classroom & training for my "A" license on May 4th, 2012. My first jump was back in March & it was the most incredible thing I've ever experienced. Since then I've made some good friends at the local drop zone here in southwestern, Ohio & I even loaned my instructor "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" to watch. My first jump was a regular tandem & was just to experience free-fall & human flight to see if I would in fact like it. I then returned for a second jump shortly thereafter & informed them I'd be taking classes to jump solo & to get my license. On the second jump I wore an altimeter, deployed the chute & flew the canopy. Then, last Thursday, I went back for yet another jump. Even though it was tandem, my instructor Dan had me wear the altimeter, deploy the chute & fly it. This time however they tried something with me they have never done with a student. They had two videographers jump alongside with me & Dan wore a wrist cam. The final product turned out very well & I figured I'd share it here, too.

Blue skies!

Intro. video is thirty-five seconds in length...

http://youtu.be/QoGBTBTUg6o

Wow - two outside videos and and handcam - you really are a rock star. I liked the views when you docked on the sitflying videographer. Very few people do tandems and of those almost none have that many cameras recording the event. You are lucky.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Not to jump on the criticising wagon and I have both no tandem experience and very little overall experience so im probably talking utter nonsense but shouldnt the student be hooked up from TO? What would happen in an emergency exit situation?

P.S quite a cool video

Not that I'm aware of. In many aircraft you would end up taking quite a bit more room than necessary since you can't squish people together as efficiently on the benches if they have to be facing the tail instead of towards the center.

Not to mention it would be pretty uncomfortable for all involved on the flight up.

ETA: Forgot to mention that this was an awesome video OP!

Just noticed it happens at all the DZ's i've visited. Im also pretty sure i'd rather be loosely strapped to the TI on the off chance of an emergency than be a bit more comfortable. Seems kinda like the seatbelt argument, yes its an extra thing to do, digging around for one but at the end of the day, you dont want to be in a crash without one.

After thinking about it the TI might have been strapped on the bottom two hooks, just throwing it out there.

Just noticed it happens at all the DZ's i've visited. Im also pretty sure i'd rather be loosely strapped to the TI on the off chance of an emergency than be a bit more comfortable. Seems kinda like the seatbelt argument, yes its an extra thing to do, digging around for one but at the end of the day, you dont want to be in a crash without one.

After thinking about it the TI might have been strapped on the bottom two hooks, just throwing it out there.

the tandem (as with everyone on board) should be attached to the plane via either a seat belt or single point restraint. they should not be unattached in the plane below 1000 feet.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?