JohnnyMarko

Zanggggg! (Low CReW downplane)

Hi Bob

There is always someone that will come up with something different especially with Utube and canopies & women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JPfNp8vbEo&feature=related

The comments on utube are what they are:S

One Jump Wonder

:D:D:D

Awesome. I love it.

Yup. All went well - which means they're awesome.
But if it hadn't.. we'd be saying something else entirely in the 'incidents forum' - especially if it's really the guy's 39th jump.
:o

And if I'm raining on peoples parade anyway, look at the "mister Bill downplane" in the related videos...
Awesome... except I can spot a few things which do not seem like a very good idea to me.
:)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Definitely San Marcos, and yeah, there was a lot of luck involved if that was a 1st downplane.

I prefer to trust to luck high up, and on the ground. Close to the ground is not a good place to trust to luck.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It was a good downplane, but I do think 39th jump is a bit early to be doing one, although his mentor obiviously(hopefully) had a bit of CRW experience.

Like any discipline, CRW introduces a lot of new variables, both in equipment and procedures, as well as the ability to stay cool under sometimes extreme stress, so this was probably not the best example to be setting for a low time jumper, and other low time jumpers watching....pushing the envelope is not a practise they should take on board as something that is OK.

His screams showed he was fully amping out at that point, had he ended up a tad lower and downwind it might not have been so good.

Having said that, it was prolly a one off, and he will now start with slower steps until he learns what he needs to know.

He certainly knows what ground rush is now!.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Hi Bob

There is always someone that will come up with something different especially with Utube and canopies & women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JPfNp8vbEo&feature=related

The comments on utube are what they are:S

tha's some good camera work there.B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

for someone with 39 jumps, this seems to me to have stupid written all over it

This is one of those ones that doesn't need armchair quarterbacking - particularly when the video was posted here to deliberately get a rise.

We know NOTHING about the situation. IF the mentor is very experienced, and IF they gave a good briefing before hand then to my mind, it's all good.
Sure, there's a little more risk involved than not doing it, but at least it's managed.

On the other hand, you could assume that there was no briefing, that the CRW plot only has 20 jumps himself and hell, why not, say they're both wearing cameras too while you're at it - now you can start the witchhunt.

Not knowing anything about the video, and how far away it's filmed, I prefer not to assume anything.

What sort of mentor sends a guy into a downplane that low to the ground when the guy has 39 jumps? Seriously? Even if you are in full control as the mentor and the event goes off smoothly, what are you also teaching that guy about what he can and can't do?
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

What sort of mentor sends a guy into a downplane that low to the ground when the guy has 39 jumps? Seriously? Even if you are in full control as the mentor and the event goes off smoothly, what are you also teaching that guy about what he can and can't do?

The kind I'd like to watch over me.
The kind I can not buy or be recommended to.
What goes around, comes later.

for someone with 39 jumps, this seems to me to have stupid written all over it

Well it'd be beyond stupid if I did it at that many jumps- there's so much more basic and intermediate stuff I need to learn- and get comfortable with- first.

Maybe this guy is more knowledgeable and at ease than I am.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Its Catfish as the mentor. In terms of CRW this seems like a high break off for him :D If I was going to send anyone to a mentor to get Downplane training I would have them find Catfish since he has about the most experience anywhere on downplanes.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

would you send them to him with 39 jumps and on their first CRW jump for such a thing? Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't your first CRW jump maybe be the basics? Shouldn't the first also not be a downplane, a downplane under 2500 feet at that? Granted, those are just recommendations and not BSRs what not, but so are jump numbers for cameras and wingsuits. Maybe its not such a bad idea to strap the gopro and WS on a new A license as long as they have an awesome instructor.

Anyway, guess I'm in the minority on this one. So be it.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

It was a good downplane, but I do think 39th jump is a bit early to be doing one, although his mentor obiviously(hopefully) had a bit of CRW experience.

Like any discipline, CRW introduces a lot of new variables, both in equipment and procedures, as well as the ability to stay cool under sometimes extreme stress, so this was probably not the best example to be setting for a low time jumper, and other low time jumpers watching....pushing the envelope is not a practise they should take on board as something that is OK.

His screams showed he was fully amping out at that point, had he ended up a tad lower and downwind it might not have been so good.

Having said that, it was prolly a one off, and he will now start with slower steps until he learns what he needs to know.

So, do you really believe a downplane below 500 ft is OK ?............................:S...( I don't )

Life is short ... jump often.

So, do you really believe a downplane below 500 ft is OK ?............................:S...( I don't )

how many have you done that allows you to make this well informed opinion?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

None........500 ft to the ground....feet locked together....who will let go first....now at 250 ft......I hope you let go................is that in the new guy's mind ? If that is what you think is safe......good luck mate.

It would be damned difficult to lock feet together and hold a downplane. When I did downplanes we grabbed each others' harnesses. When one of us let go the sudden increased load on the other guy's grip was enough to cause him to let go.

This is kinda like turf surfing (aka swooping) or any other out of the norm activity. If you don't have experience in it you tend to think it is really dangerous, don't you think?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."