brbjumping

Blowing Nose - Blood

Not really sure where to post this...

After making 7 jumps this weekend I found that when I blow my nose, it has a lot of blood in it. I'm going to go to the doctor and get it checked out, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what it might be.

I've done a bit of searching and found stuff about flying and nosebleeds, but not having blood in the mucus a day later.

Yep, you best bet is to see a doctor.

I can give you all kinds of thoughts on what it could be but I'm not a doctor....just a lowly paramedic.

Good Luck!!!

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Yep, you best bet is to see a doctor.

+1

It will probably turn out to be very minor damage to your sinus cavities due to barotrauma (overexpansion injury due to rapid descent). It could also be an agressive form of flesh eating cancer that infects your brain stem and makes you think taking medical advice on a skydiving forum is a good idea.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I did when I jumped through a cold that, probably because of the idiocy, turned into a sinus infection. Based on that experience, I'd go see the doctor.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i had that happen to me too, first time i spent about an hour in the tunnel with an open face helmet. the membranes in your nose get dried out and it causes microsurface cracks. the capillary blood vessels in your nose are very close to the surface, and once the microcracks begin, you sneeze once, and you rupture the capillaries.

expensive solution, get a full face if you don't already have one.

cheap and easy solution - get a bottle of saline nasal spray at cvs, walgreens, etc. and after each jump, give each nostril a puff. worked for me at least.

When I first started out, I would encounter sharp pains, especially right after deploying, in my ears. For an hour or so afterward I would be constantly spitting up thick bloody mucous.

It had gotten to the point where I was seriously considering quitting. I couldn't bear the thought of dealing with that kind of stuff on every jump.

It would especially get worse on the 3rd or 4th jump of the day.

However, I decided to stick with it. Fortunately, it got better with time and experience. Bloody mucous stopped after I completed AFF training and started doing solo dives.

Best of luck.

cheap and easy solution - get a bottle of saline nasal spray at cvs, walgreens, etc. and after each jump, give each nostril a puff. worked for me at least.

Depending on how much you jump, this might not be a good idea. Go easy on the nasal spray. It dehydrates your sinuses over time, which is the problem in the first place. Unless it's cancer ofc, then you can use as much nasal spray as you want.

If I'm active for some period of time, breathe a lot, it's cold and I don't drink enough water (e.g. skiing up north with a lot of gear) I get that too. Dry sinuses, not cancer.

Edited to add: your body usually adapts over time.

I get that problem most of the time, but I found what is my problem... I shouldn't smoke st least an hour before climbing up or if I have some slightly cold. Most likely your sinuses is the problem. I use salt water to rinse my nose before I jump now - it opens up sinuses, also always stay hydrated. It may also be an allergy...you may consult doctors, but I lost faith in them long time ago.