DubJump

Flexibility?

So does being flexible help with the arch during freefall? I have never been that flexible of a guy, but I have no worries on the matter. I'm more just curious, because if flexibility and core muscles (Abs, etc.) help out a bunch, I want to get into a regular schedule of stretching/working out.
Voodoo Symphony in the M-I-N-D. Wav files rub on your brain files constantly.

active flexibility helps you get into a tight arch while not straining. The key to freefall is to be able to be in the position you need but be relaxed and able to 'flow' into the next position (whether its freeflying or turning points on your belly whatever).

I find being flexible increases my fall rate. I weigh 150 (so not a lot) but I regularly jump with people well over 200 pounds because I can arch deeply and thereby decrease my surface area and fall faster to keep up with the fatties (err big people).

I would say that stretching and working out would help a lot with skydiving. Treat it like a sport (approach it athletically) and you will progress faster.

Sitting cramped up in a tiny plane for 15 minutes, usually in the cold, and then having to leap out and perform quite athletically, is a real demand. I'm in my 20's with a few injuries from sports in my past but I'm in alright shape generally. It must be tough when you get older, for sure. I warm up before boarding the plane, and under canopy I loosen up my ankles and knees to prepare for a bumpy landing.

Yup.

Your lower back and hips can take a beating, and it's also worth saying that high-performance flat-flying body positions are fairly unnatural... it takes (some) strength and flexibility to do them well.

Tunnel will stress those, plus abs and pecs as well.

Definitely worth working on, if only casually!

[edit: This is all just a good idea, not essential. There are some pretty unfit, inflexible people out there doing decent quality skydives every weekend!]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Yep, you should definitely work out and stretch. B|

If you wanna get a little bit of an idea just strap on a backpack with 20 lbs. in it then mimic crawling into a tight space, move around normally and sit in a seat or on a couch. You might look or feel retarded doing it but that's kinda what wearing a rig is like.

It's not hard but being stronger will make all the movements you do that much less awkward.

...Don't Get Elimated!!