daleskydive

1.6 WL on xbrace canopy.

Just throwing this question out there. i saw a youtube video where a girl had her velocity loaded at 1.6 and she was getting massive swoops compared to a conventional 9 cell. Mabey this was due to much more usable canopy over her head due to less distortion from xbracing. if all she wants is a longer terf surf than a standard cell whats wrong with that ?

The reason for buying the canopy could actually be that she needed a bulkier canopy.

If you have to choose between buying everything new (or used) in a smaler size, or to buy a smaler but bulkier canopy that still "fits" the container.

To me that makes sense. But then again I don't jump those kind of WL or canopies.

you'd probably get similar results with a Crossfire or a Katana...

The crossbraced canopy will be more efficient than a crossfire or Katana. Simply because it will not distort as much giving more lift, it has fewer lines reducing drag, and is normally a thinner profile wing again reducing drag.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

One of the pro's against this concept is everyone will laugh themselves silly at being a pretender at such a wingloading on a cross braced canopy. It just screams wanker.
Another is the cost
Another is the shittier openings

[Edit to add]
Not sure than the distortion on the wing at the low loading will make the cross bracing benefit as large, but there will be benefit.
Also would add that the only times I have jumped large cross braced canopies, they have felt like dogs compared to similar sized "normal" canopies.

Mods - might be better to shift this to the swooping forum
[Edit finished)

I do have a friend that is at a similar wingloading but that is because she could not get a small enough non cross braced wing. E.g. she has a 90 velo and there are not many canopies around that size are not crossbraced (and they are hard to onsell). She has about 3000 jumps as I recall.

If the chick on the video could get good swoops on a velo at that loading, she could do 95% as well on a katana or equivalent without as many hassles.

Trying to justify a purchase? Go invest in coaching instead, it will get you further than a new canopy, will make you a better canopy pilot and will make the next transitions easier when it is appropriate
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

One of the pro's against this concept is everyone will laugh themselves silly at being a pretender at such a wingloading on a cross braced canopy. It just screams wanker

Nonsense. Some people might think that, but IMO those people have their own issues and are more concerned with what others think of them than what they like.

Simply put, if it is not dangerous and you like it - Do it and don't worry about what someone talks about behind your back.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334