Tyjer

Rig as carry on to Japan?

So I'm about to head to Japan for a couple of years, and I've got everything shipped already except my Rig, a duffel of clothes, and a backpack w/laptop.

After having read through some of the related posts, I realize that I can possibly take my Rig as a personal item, and my laptop/bag as a carry on, and check the duffel & my gear bag.

The information I gathered from the related posts mentioned TSA rules allowing this option, my concern is after I land in Japan and have to take local flights puddle hopping down to Okinawa, will those airlines allow such shenanigans? ...that is, if anyone has a similar experience to speak from. I haven't done any research into the Japanese side commercial airlines yet.. But I will once I have access to my travel paperwork again.

In the meantime, any thoughts/insights? Also, if I am forced to put my rig back in my checked baggage, any thing I can do to minimize risk of loss/theft/tampering? First time I've ever flown with my gear. I've always transported my rig overland.

Appreciate any contributions:)

I have flown lots of times with my rig carry on no problem even to Okinawa and back. If you have a Cypress bring the TSA card. Most Security have seen rigs but if you have a problem just ask for a supervisor. 99% of them have been trained. I always put it under the seat in front of me, that way if I need it fast it’s right there. In Japan they did a sniffer test but I shoot bow so nothing came up. Have fun and don’t forget to check out Gate 2 Street
Faster, Faster, Faster
Till the Thrill of Speed
Overcomes the Fear of Death

Thanks both of you! :) I'll definitely print up and bring the TSA sheet.
I'll definitely want to make some mainland trips to get my jump on:)
I wonder what kind of bribery it would take to get some jumps from Kadena ^.^

Random thought & additional question:
Do I have to have a current USPA membership to jump out of country? What kind of variances in local jump law are there in Japan?

Thanks both of you! :) I'll definitely print up and bring the TSA sheet.
I'll definitely want to make some mainland trips to get my jump on:)
I wonder what kind of bribery it would take to get some jumps from Kadena ^.^

Random thought & additional question:
Do I have to have a current USPA membership to jump out of country? What kind of variances in local jump law are there in Japan?

To jump in most countries you need a CURRENT FAI affiliated membership. USPA memberships gives you this, if that is your only national affiliation then you may well be SOOL in Japan if your USPA membership is not current
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks all:) I made it safely to Okinawa with my rig on my back the whole way. Had one swab inspection in Seattle, but the security seemed trained up on rig protocol and were totally nice:)

Thanks for the info on USPA info for jumping out here as well. I don't have a lot of hopes so far as jumping where I am now, but if I can swing up to the mainland or some of the nearby countries, I hope to get a few overseas jumps in:) Too excited:)