jwalbright

skydiving first date

So I was looking at a dating web site and one of the women had a bucket list on her profile and number 2 was go skydiving. So I figured what the hell and sent her a message “Hey I’m going skydiving this weekend your welcome to come. It would make a really good first date story and if it doesn’t work out you can tell the next guy he better make it good because you pushed the last guy out of an airplane.”
Any way it worked were going Sunday. I’m going up Sat to do my AFF 6 and 7 jumps. If I understand correctly if I pass both then I should be able to jump on my own after that. I guess my question would be would I be able to exit at the same time as her with her TI or is that unlikely. It would be nice to see her face in free fall but I can under stand the hesitation of a TI letting me jump out at the same time. I know it will all probably depend on the TI and will defiantly have to ask just. I was curious if I could get an opinion here. Ideally if one of my AFFI on sat is also a TI I might ask him/her to be her TI for that jump that way I will have jumped with them before and thus increases the comfort level. Of course this is all contingent on me passing 6 and 7 tomorrow. I’m off to the tunnel to practice.
Enter Funny thought Here

No. Any TI that would let you jump with him/her isn't a TI I'd want a friend of mine to be jumping with anyway.

There's a lot involved in jumping with a tandem. It requires significantly more experience than you currently have, and a TI should tell you no.

But, it's very possible that you can get on the same load (whether you're still working on an AFF jump, or are on to your solos), and your new friend can watch you exit, then go on to do her own jump, and you can catch up on the ground.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sorry bud.

Not Tandem Master in their right mind would let someone still on student status, or even A licensed, jump with wit him/her.

That being said, have a great 1st date! Just arrange to be in the plane with her, and do a solo just before they jump :)

Remster

hahaha
you made me laugh...B|

nah.... not likely that you'll be allowed to "exit, at the same times as the tandem"
even if you DID just pass AFF 6 and AFF 7 ....
MAaaaybe you can be on the same load....... but you're not likely to skydive "with"...:(
(wouldn't be prudent)..:o:)

what's MORE likely to happen is she winds up with the instructor!!!!!!!... :o;):S:o...
or else , about 6 or 8 guys'll try to put the moves on her...(sorry)

p.s. i sure hope you're "going dutch". and that YOU aren't springing , for the tandem.....:|

enjoy your weekend
skydive safely...

jt

I don't think you want to have a first date with a woman surrounded by cool, experienced skydivers.
Remember, you're still a student... (which is great btw)

Get some more jumps.. like five - then hit it!
What goes around, comes later.

hahaha
you made me laugh...B|

nah.... not likely that you'll be allowed to "exit, at the same times as the tandem"
MAaaaybe you can be on the same load....... but you're not likely to skydive "with"...:(

what's MORE likely to happen is she winds up with the instructor!!!!!!!... :o;):S:o...

p.s. i sure hope you're "going dutch". and that YOU aren't springing , for the tandem.....:|

enjoy your weekend
skydive safely...

jt

Can ya lose your turn...if ya never had one?? :):$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

hahaha
you made me laugh...B|

enjoy your weekend
skydive safely...

jt

+10

Especially the dutch part.:ph34r:

One minute in the tunnel maybe and that's final[:/]
One Jump Wonder

Now if it was your wife and you wanted to get rid of her the idea might have some merit. But there must be an easier way that wouldn't involve others.

Actually, my wife said she "might" do a tandem someday. I wondered the same thing, for a very short period of time.

Offer to pay for the video and you might get a chance the watch it together with her later.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Of course this is all contingent on me passing 6 and 7 tomorrow

As previously mentioned, jumping with a tandem is not contingent on anything you're going to do this weekend. It will take a few more jumps before you'll be doing that.

Keep in mind that if you pass those levels or not, you're still a 'student', and have a great deal of plannnig and responsibility for yourself on every jump. The point is that you need to understand and maybe relate to your date that there will be a period of time where you need to be focused on planning and actualyl making your jump, and you will not (or should not) be paying attention to her during that time.

Otherwise, make sure manifest understands that you want to be on the same load as your date, and that both of you are willing to wait a load or two if need be. Also, once she has a TI assigned to her, you can make arrangements to sit nearby, and have her be the first tandem out so she'll be close to the door when you jump. Of course, you need to make an effort to focus on your jump, gear checks, spotting, exit seperation, etc even when she's sitting right next to you. Again, explain ahead of time that there's time for chit-chat, but there's also times where you need to be focused on the task at hand.

Good luck bringing bait into the shark tank. It sounds like a joke, but I still remember the first time I brought my girlfriend to the DZ. I had about 50 jumps, and she just came out to see what it was all about (she wasn't the type who would jump). Sure enough, she sat at one of the picnic tables while I went up for jump, and by the time I landed there were 3 or 4 guys sitting with her. She thought skydivers were 'friendly', I had a different feeling about my new 'friends'.

Thank you all for the advice, As for the dutch part it wasn't discussed but I gave her the info on how to make her own appointment and deposit and what not so Im pretty sure she has a clue. She made her appointment. So we should be good to go I did pretty well on aff6 today but decided to do 7 tomorrow since aff students get out right before the tandems. (I think) As for bait in the shark tank, Its only a first date If she wants to go for one of the "cool guys" instead of me then well I guess it was never ment to be. And it will be her loss :P I have the money on my account for an AFF7 video I thought about that just put it for her and when we get the video be like ok now we gota watch it if she eagerly agrees we can head back to my place if she gives me a strange look I will pull out my laptop and be like lets watch it.

Enter Funny thought Here

Thanks John :)

just be confident and not clingy at the DZ.
If she's the right sort of chick for you you have no probs.
If she hooks up with a TM, well she's better of using "adult finder" (it would be cheaper) than a proper dating site.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Aww, I bet you're a helluva great guy and she'll want to hang out with you after the jump. Those tandem masters aren't THAT cool. I remember being a noob and bringing dates to the DZ. Yeah, a lot of the skygods hit on them but they always went home with me. :P:D

John

This is the 21st century. Skygods have been rebranded as professional skydivers.:)

The pros already have their hands full. Its the 2 legged dogs at the DZ that dudes have to watch out for when they bring a female onto the DZ.

BTW paying for a dates tandem video is a expensive date.:S IMO let them watch Utube:P

R.

hah, good luck, OP. Should be fun either way.

Out of interest, how much experience do you think one would need before being considered for a jump along with a TI and his charge?

I imagine a lot would depend on who you are and who they are and how you're regarded at the DZ and if they think you'd be safe to jump with. But roughly what experience level do you think they'd be looking for?

I'm Vector/Sigma rated. The handbook says anyone jumping with the tandem needs 500 jumps total, 100 within the last 12 months. They were pretty adamant that these are requirements, not "guidelines".

When you've got that big drogue out over your back and another human being strapped to the front of you, your maneuverability is nil. It's like you have a big bull's eye painted on you. The people flying around you have to be in control and able to avoid the double "cones of death" above and below you. If you want to get good enough to jump with tandems, I recommend a lot of 4-8 way belly flying with a little swooping and lots of sequential points. I've seen a 500 jump freeflyer that couldn't close the last 10 feet to dock on a tandem. :S:D

I'm Vector/Sigma rated. The handbook says anyone jumping with the tandem needs 500 jumps total, 100 within the last 12 months. They were pretty adamant that these are requirements, not "guidelines".

When you've got that big drogue out over your back and another human being strapped to the front of you, your maneuverability is nil. It's like you have a big bull's eye painted on you. The people flying around you have to be in control and able to avoid the double "cones of death" above and below you. If you want to get good enough to jump with tandems, I recommend a lot of 4-8 way belly flying with a little swooping and lots of sequential points. I've seen a 500 jump freeflyer that couldn't close the last 10 feet to dock on a tandem. :S:D

John

Those requirements are sooo retro:)
What about a tunnel rat that has 2 hr's of tunnel time $$ in the last year would that meet the requirement for 100 jumps in the last yr:S:D
One Jump Wonder

Well we did have fun, she had a safe successful tandem, I had a safe successful AFF lvl 7 jump. I did get her the video. We watched on my laptop at the DZ and then went out for lunch and a beer run after. It didn’t go exactly as I thought because I thought we might get some time to chat and get to know while waiting to be manifested, but we ended up on the first load so we were pretty much on the Otter about 30min after arriving. Evedently annoying naturgurl http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4296038;#4296038. But we had a blast. I don’t know if a second date is in our future, we didn’t make any definite plans right then but I am hopefull. Now I have to figure out what to do for an encore. Probably just a nice dinner or something low key.

Oh and I passed my level 7 hence the beer run :)[:/]:o:)

Enter Funny thought Here