Juz

Interesting stats .................

Inconsistent data as can't compare people in a sport to number of times doing an activity.

I enjoy telling folks that skydiving is safer than fishing. Around 3000 folks die in the US every year by drowning, which I conveniently classify as "fishing" deaths. I generally will give a disclaimer regarding the number of participants. Seriously, people do tend to underestimate the danger involved with water, and especially if the water is cold. Maybe somewhat obvious since 3000 folks die each year in this country. Even in Kansas, people die every Memorial, Independence, and Labor Day weekend in drowning accidents.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Inconsistent data as can't compare people in a sport to number of times doing an activity.

I completely agree with this view;
-especially since this data is compiled every year and not used in that fashion. (random years used)
-especially since the data is 'rate against population' not rate against safe occurrences.

Buford Montana, USA is for sale, the entire town. With a population of ONE. You can make any statistics you want.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/04/04/An-Entire-Wyoming-Town-for-Sale-for-100k.aspx#page1
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

I enjoy telling folks that skydiving is safer than fishing. Around 3000 folks die in the US every year by drowning, which I conveniently classify as "fishing" deaths. I generally will give a disclaimer regarding the number of participants. Seriously, people do tend to underestimate the danger involved with water, and especially if the water is cold. Maybe somewhat obvious since 3000 folks die each year in this country. Even in Kansas, people die every Memorial, Independence, and Labor Day weekend in drowning accidents.

LOL... every year in Yosemite more people die from drowning than have died in BASE jumping accidents there in all years since 1978 combined -- but then, government wankers never have been very good at math -- or common sense.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

7 people died in Germany in a ten year period playing table tennis? Wtf?

They pinged when they should have ponged?

Ping Pong must be a contact sport in Germany. Either that, or there as some awful sore losers there.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

7 people died in Germany in a ten year period playing table tennis? Wtf?

They pinged when they should have ponged?

Ping Pong must be a contact sport in Germany. Either that, or there as some awful sore losers there.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/provincialelitist/hardcore-ping-pong-death-match-4t5
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Tell people skydiving is safer than driving a car or crossing the street, but they still say skydiving is dangerous. Now just smile and walk away. Kind of like spitting into the wind.

Ask yourself how many jumpers you've known that have died jumping. Then ask yourself how many jumpers you've known have died in car accidents. For me, my first number was waaay bigger.[:/]

It could be just that skydivers are really, really good drivers. :)
The stat of there being over 2 million jumpers in the USA? They're obviously counting one-time tandem jumpers, which, luckily, are the minority of fatalities. Compare number of deaths/year with estimated number of active jumpers and the stats are not so cheerful. [:/]

Seriously, people do tend to underestimate the danger involved with water, and especially if the water is cold.

People usually underestimate the danger of any activity they are involved in. It’s called a “mental defense mechanism”.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Seriously, people do tend to underestimate the danger involved with water, and especially if the water is cold.

People usually underestimate the danger of any activity they are involved in. It’s called a “mental defense mechanism”.

Sparky

And conversely, those who aren't involved tend to overestimate the danger involved. It's called a "pussy defense mechanism?"

AC DZ

Tell people skydiving is safer than driving a car or crossing the street, but they still say skydiving is dangerous. Now just smile and walk away. Kind of like spitting into the wind.

I've been walking for close to 26 years and driving a car close to 10... never got hurt before until first tandem skydiving... and I've done a lot of walking and a heck of a lot more driving than most people.

Skydiving safer than driving a car or crossing the street? Not for me it sure wasn't.. That statistic doesn't even seem logical. If everyone who was capable of crossing a street or driving a car were also compelled to skydive (which would be ending up like a majority of the population) we'd see death statistics left and right and the sport would be shutdown in less than a year. It would be interesting to compare AFF student vs driving school student injury/accident/death statistics... From a percentage standpoint I'm certain far fewer people got killed learning to walk across a street than skydiving.

I've been walking for close to 26 years and driving a car close to 10... never got hurt before until first tandem skydiving... and I've done a lot of walking and a heck of a lot more driving than most people.

Skydiving safer than driving a car or crossing the street? Not for me it sure wasn't.. That statistic doesn't even seem logical. If everyone who was capable of crossing a street or driving a car were also compelled to skydive (which would be ending up like a majority of the population) we'd see death statistics left and right and the sport would be shutdown in less than a year. It would be interesting to compare AFF student vs driving school student injury/accident/death statistics... From a percentage standpoint I'm certain far fewer people got killed learning to walk across a street than skydiving.

Your logic goes south when you indicate that skydiving would be shut down if more folks participated. Lots of people go play in the water, and every single holiday weekend in Kansas people die at the lake (I'm sure this is true of every state where folks boat and swim). By your logic, boating, swimming, and fishing would be shut down due to the obvious danger. Ironically, people let their small children boat, swim, and fish. Commercial fisherman is the most deadly occupation in the US, why do we allow people to fish?!?!?!

The reason is is a combination of perception, and bull shit. There's lots of BS contained in my, and other posts above this one. I think that surely we can all agree on that point!

AC DZ