Inspired

The Future of Skydiving

Regulations?

Can't say more at this time, but you all sit back and watch it's about to get real interesting in the real near future* for some of us.

*6 mos or maybe less, maybe more?
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Just curious what changes all of you think we might see in skydiving over the next 10/20/30 years?

Gear technology? Aircraft? Regulations? Disciplines?

Next 30 years? A holodeck powered by quantum based computer and direct neural interaction (like a hyper-vivid stimulated lucid dream with computer induced/controlled virtual mental environments) where we can do virtual skydiving with safety protocols on (pain thresholds capped)...

Better yet, just fly like Superman without the parachute.

Tandem / AFF/ DZ will be for old people for nostalgia sake.

Can't say more at this time, but you all sit back and watch it's about to get real interesting in the real near future* for some of us.

This is the second time within a week that someone has hinted about major changes coming.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

10 Years - No one uses "normal" high performance lines anymore, hybrid fibers and fabrics are now the norm. Additional regulation means everyone that jumps now has to have government regulated certifications.

20 Years - Fully composite aircraft with electric motors reduce fuel costs to offset the raise in fuel costs over the past 20 years. Additional regulation means much fewer jumpers and you can only jump one at a time with 10 video cameras, a special government permit that costs a fortune, and your attorney as well as a govt agent present on the dive.

30 Years - Due to increased regulation skydiving no longer exists.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

:|

i've been following this thread in order to learn for Myself..
where those more affiliated with the sport than i am, think we will be.

Damn the cost of fuel.
If someone could invent an aircraft engine that ran on Enthusiam, Good Vibes, and Smiles.. Many DZs would buy one, in an instant.B|;)...and that jumpship would be workin' ALLLL day long.
but with todays gas prices, hell, even the drive to the dropzone can add up.... I'm ok, with buying lift tickets and the amount of the money i may have spent all these years is insignificant compared to the Joy it has given me...:D i might dare say, that like many Skydivers. i have used the "need for jump $ " as a true incentive :o to work a little harder...take on that extra job, and cut corners in a sensible way, in other areas. ;)
only,,,,
It would just be nice, if a 100 dollar bill... could buy as many jumps as it USED to.:|[:/]

The future??? hopefully, continuing emphasis on safety, canopy flight, gear advances and sharing of knowledge...

For many who have chosen skydiving for their livelihood i wish the best. For those who have just now or only recently ( the last 10 years or so ) found this wonderful sport..... i trust that the NEW energy which They bring, will carry us on for decades.....B|

:|
when making a true assessment about jumping...
(and factoring in some aches and pains,)
and reading a fair bit about some uncertainty, and increasing FAA scrutiny and general nervousness about airports and their funding..(concentrating $$$ for fences...and Control towers )
i'm thinking, that for me, personally, :|
the "Future of Skydiving" , was over 30 years AGO!!!!!!!!!...
pre swooping.... pre tandem.. pre freefly and pre pro packing !!:S;) and we flew just as many loads THEN...... as we do now .
Even had circuit Meets.. 4 or 5 times a year.....!!!

jmy
a 3914
d 12122

10 years.

Swooping has been banned. Swoopers will now be using speedriders and hills.

The smallest canopy for skydiving will be ~150.sq.ft

Freeflying will be out. RW (FS) will be in.

Ripcords are in.

Dropzones will all be on private land with private airstrips or jumpers shuttled to the airport. No landings will be done on airports except for demos.

Separate disciplines will have separate dropzones as well.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

We will be jumping from V-22's! Woo hoo!
Self packing mains! Woo hoo!
Wing suits you can land! Woo hoo!
and $100 a jump! WTF!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Regulations?

*6 mos or maybe less, maybe more?

Let me guess....

1) Something to do with the $100 tax per flight? That will make skydiving almost twice as expensive overnight.

2) The USPA will be effectively "absorbed" by the FAA/DHS, and USPA will be disbanded and no longer be recognized by the government as a valid organisation/association.

3) DZs will have to be certified with the same level of scrutiny regarding safety rules and regulations as airlines. All TI/TM will be forced to get a commercial pilot license and a TWIC card

4) Every new skydiving /tandem tourist will need to get fingerprinted, credit and criminal background checked, blood drawn with DNA sampled, voice identification, etc etc .... x-ray body scanners will be required before skydiving...

5) There will be a special "value added tax" towards aviation fuel for nonessential activities that do not fall under public transportation... So for example, skydiving operators will have to pay MUCH MORE tax for aviation fuel than the general public aviation or airliners.

6) Tandem, as a money making machine, tourist attracting ploy, etc will be BANNED.

7) Skydivers with license have to re-certify every three years regardless of whether or not they have been active.

8) One strike and you are out... skydivers that experience any malfunction will not be allowed to skydive anymore...

9) Skydiving activities will be rationed and capped. No matter your level of experience or skill or license, only 100 jumps per year, 1000 jumps per lifetime, retroactively applies.

10) Every skydiving accident or death will get the FBI and NTSB involved.

Did I leave anything out?

the point I was trying to make, not hint", is this.

1. keep fucking around with tdm's and killing people
2. keep killing people under open parachutes
3. Keep doing stupid shit like jumping out of PPG's and other non approved Ac's .
4. keep on jumping base gear out of AC's and impact a bridge full of people.
5. DZO's getting half million dollar fines for MX violations
6. leaving dead bodies laying around for days till they are discovered missing.

the list goes on and on and only a fool would think that the FAA is not watching us along with other state and local agencys. Take a look what NZ is now doing to adventure aviation... you all think that shit can or won't happen here?

So keeping fucking around and not playing by the rules we now have a see if they don't bust some balls.

Q: Why do all PPG's in tandem trikes have to have an N # and you have to have a Sport PL to be legal? A: It's didn't used to be that way, but "they" have to protect the paying public.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Just curious what changes all of you think we might see in skydiving over the next 10/20/30 years?

If Obamacare stands, skydiving and other extreme sports will be outlawed along with jelly doughnuts and Twinkies because they increase health care costs for everyone else.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

If Obamacare stands, skydiving and other extreme sports will be outlawed along with jelly doughnuts and Twinkies because they increase health care costs for everyone else.

B|

Just like flying (as in commercial aviation for transportation reasons, not wing-suit "flying") is a privilege and not a "right"... likewise "adventure sports" will probably be banned "for our own safety"... and DZ will be required to make sure you have purchased Obamacare before you are allowed to skydive... just like car rentals have to check if you have valid drivers license and motor insurance, DZ in the future will be federally required to confirm you have purchased Obamacare Skydiver Insurance edition...