Southern_Man

What do you consider a successful jump?

Any answers would depend greatly on how you define the conditions of the question, so I am going to define them for myself and ask others to define in ther answers as well.

I have ~250 jumps and do amost exclusvely belly flying (aside from a few hop and pops). I don't and haven't done competition four way but I mostly like to do 4 way. For purposes of this question I am going to say I show up at the drop zone and get on a 4 way with people I don't normally jump with but who have at least moderate experience.

Any time I can get 4-5 points on a pick-up four way I feel like that is a successful jump. 3 or less and I am a little disappointed and feel I could do better. More than 5 points is pretty much gravy.

Just curious what other people think and frame that for themselves.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Successful: everybody had fun, no one got hurt

Successful & Really Good: the above + everyone landed back at the DZ, I landed perfectly within 5 meters of my target

Successful & we MUST do that again -- let's manifest!: all of the above + we accomplished the dive objectives

:-)
www.wci.nyc

Successful & Really Good: the above + everyone landed back at the DZ, I landed perfectly within 5 meters of my target

Successful & we MUST do that again -- let's manifest!: all of the above + we accomplished the dive objectives

See, while that's great that you feel that way, I find that setting the bar way too low.

If your objective for the jump was to have fun, then yeah, having fun and no one getting hurt makes that jump a success.

But except for the odd boogie jump with no other objective than that, it's been years since I wanted to not have something to achieve on the jump. It may not be much, or that complicated, but still most of my jumps have an objective. And meeting that objective makes the jump successful.

As a Load Organizer, that may be simply to have everyone in the same space at some point. Or being able to debrief the one low experience guy on the jump about putting is legs out more to drive forward. Or personally focusing of changing my body position slightly.

And I'm not a super performance orientated guy. But really, not having achievable goals on most jumps is a good way to get bored.
Remster

qft
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

not having achievable goals on most jumps is a good way to get bored.

this ^

having a plan and getting it done is always a lot more fun than just a geek jump - I'll sit out a load if it's going to be an airbath - I want to keep learning and progressing

once in a while, just a jump and smile thing is fun, but if that's all there were, I'd find a different sport

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Depends on the jump for me, but generally I do belly, so we set a goal for the jump kind of by definition (that's called the dirt dive :ph34r:).

It's always good if we all land safely and no one is pissed off about how the jump went. One guy who's pissed either at himself or someone else can really ruin it for everyone.

But a really good jump is one where we did more than the minimum -- a couple times through the rotation, or, if it's newbies, they learned the skill I was hoping for them to learn, and they understand it well enough that they think they can translate it into performance on the next jump.

Anyone can plan a jump where they just fly around a newbie. But a good newbie jump is one where the newbie flies also (within their skill level), contributes, and understands how they did it.

One of the most memorable is still a pickup 7-way with no dirt dive, and one nervous guy with a couple hundred jumps, where we planned 5 points in the plane, and got through it one and a half times.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A lot of good definitions of success here, and we all agree that it starts with no one getting hurt.B|

For me, a successful jump is where I and my friends had an opportunity to fly at the higher levels of our abilities and were able to do so. Whether it's number of points completed, complexity of the moves or smoothness of the flying, it's all about operating at your personal peak ability. I can be on a dive where we get a zillion points, but if my slot was too simple or unchallenging, my enjoyment is diminished. But sometimes it's okay, like when I'm trying to be a good reference point for someone working on their skills. B|

I know Pat Works used to talk about that happy feeling in your chest when the skydive was going great, those moments that make this whole goofball sport so worthwhile. B|

To all the load organizers: I really like back-ins. :)

I really like back-ins.

They're not BACK INS!!!!!!!!!!!
Damm Jerry bird! :ph34r:

also known as "back over and then funnel the group"?:D

"outfacing slots"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'll sit out a load if it's going to be an airbath - I want to keep learning and progressing

Zoo loads can still be fun. Make a personal goal or three for the skydive - a perfect exit, a sweet approach, whatever. That way you feel like it wasn't as much of a ticket fire as you watch that guy go low. Again.

If no one got hurt, and no one *almost* got hurt (due to careless behaviour), I consider the jump successful.

Truth is I still find falling through the air, seeing the view, swirling around under my parachute and landing it successfully to be such a rush that feeling "disappointed" for me after a jump is nearly impossible. I've only been at it for 19 years and 1300 jumps, so I assume I'll eventually grow up and get serious, but it just hasn't happened yet.

It depends on the goals for the jump. Back when I was doing 4-way, a successful jump was everybody on the same page, working on the things our coach taught us, feeling like we made progress as a team on the jump. As a fun jumper, a successful jump is everybody in the formation, turn a few points, have a good time. As a LO, a successful jump is where I can challenge the lower-time jumpers, but keep the up-jumpers on the load interested, and everyone lands with a smile. As a coach, a successful jump is where I see that light bulb turn on in my student, and they learn something.

Notice how I didn't mention the amount of points once? My advice is to stop worrying about points. Learn how to fly and have some fun doing it. That's what success is for me in the sport.

For me, as a student, a good jump is one where I maintain a stable position, pull on time, and land back at the dropzone safely and unharmed.

A successful jump is one where I complete the tasks and progress to the next level.

I'm sure my goals will change over time

s a LO, a successful jump is where I can challenge the lower-time jumpers, but keep the up-jumpers on the load interested, and everyone lands with a smile.

That's the tough one, right there. Some LO's are so busy building to the lowest common denominator they forget the more experienced people. Sometimes I just bust out and go do 4-way. :)

Considering the weather we've been having in New England, a successful jump is one where im not grounded and actually get to jump :P

Same here in Southern Ontario :-) if it hasn't been that the winds were too high, the ceilings were too low. I'd much rather have low winds and high ceilings, why did I ever move to Canada :P

s a LO, a successful jump is where I can challenge the lower-time jumpers, but keep the up-jumpers on the load interested, and everyone lands with a smile.

That's the tough one, right there. Some LO's are so busy building to the lowest common denominator they forget the more experienced people. Sometimes I just bust out and go do 4-way. :)

Yep. :)