Namowal

Getting people to jump with you

I've had my A licence for over a month now, and am trying to jump with other people whenever I get the opportunity. Sometimes it's there- the DZ hosts organized events frequently, and sometimes I can get friends to jump with me...

...but currently I'm not very good. I backslide like crazy and have trouble with my fall rate. This makes me feel guilty about asking to jump with more experienced pals, and very reluctant to ask to jump with people I don't know well.

The paradox is, I'm not getting any better at jumping with others until I get more practice at, well, jumping with others.:S

Any suggestions? Or should I just cough up the money for coached jumps when it looks like I'm on my own?
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I bet if you showed up with a couple cases of beer and got the word out, you'd find a lot of new "friends" to help you skydive and work on your technique. Also, no one expects you to be good at 38 jumps. No one expects you to be very good at 200 jumps either.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had this same problem. (I say 'had' because I've since moved and don't currently jump because I don't have any health insurance. :() Anyway, I had a fast fall rate and never found too many people that really wanted to jump with me; however, it's hard to correct that on your own when you don't quite know what you're doing wrong. Good luck though and don't give up, like I did. I let myself feel defeated and didn't jump as much as I should have and now that I can't, I regret it tremendously! :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Do about 10 or 15 coach jumps, then do some tunnel time. It will save you time, money and bad habits. And relax, we all sucked at under 100 jumps, except for the madskillz dudes, but they're all jumping wingsuit off of cliffs now.:)Newbie jumpers all trying to teach each other is like a group of beginning golfers all telling each other what is wrong with their swings.:P
And remember, be safe, have FUN!
And keep drawingB|

well if it makes you feel any better I backslid and flailed out of a simple 2 way sitfly dock the other day - wel all sometimes goof up :D

I would just go for it and if you backslide just drive forward with your feet out. More you do it more confidence you'll gain and then you'll eventually have people that will assume they are jumping with you if you are packed and manifested.

Just ask, the worst that can happen is they say no. Most experienced jumpers have been in the same position as you at least once. Just make sure you pay it forward when you have experience by jumping with the low timers, especially the ones that are struggling. Sometimes all a new skydiver needs is a friend to motivate them to make it past that initial stage of inexperience and lack of self confidence.

Do about 10 or 15 coach jumps, then do some tunnel time. It will save you time, money and bad habits. And relax, we all sucked at under 100 jumps, except for the madskillz dudes, but they're all jumping wingsuit off of cliffs now.:)Newbie jumpers all trying to teach each other is like a group of beginning golfers all telling each other what is wrong with their swings.:P
And keep drawingB|

The sport has really gone to hell in a hand basket if this is the right answer.[:/]

I have yet to pay for a coach jump, just because of the simple fact that there are tons of fantastic skydivers around who really enjoy teaching even in the absence of financial compensation. Obviously its nice to give these guys a little something, even a beer at the end of the day, but most expect nothing in return other than a big smile and a thank you. As with anything in life, finding great mentors can make all the difference in the world.

And keep drawingB|

The sport has really gone to hell in a hand basket if this is the right answer.[:/]

I don't usually "+1", but: +1.

Just ask ;) If anyone gets upset with you for not being amazing at 38 jumps, they're a dick and you probably don't want to jump with them anyway.

I did three jumps today. All three had 1-2 people with sub 70 jumps. We didn't turn a single point. I had a blast and helped them learn something.

The good jumpers wont mind you "messing up a jump" as long as they know you're learning. Be up front about your abilities so they can plan an appropriate dive and just do your best. If they jump goes to shit, have fun and listen to their advice to do better next time. Remember this sport is about having fun so just do that. ;)

I couldnt tell you how nervous i was the first time i jumped with someone that wasnt one of my instructors. It felt like my first jump all over again but i made a new friend and he totally felt like a coach the whole time just reminding me to relax...i agree with everyone who said just ask and be upfront about your abilities thats what i have done and it has worked out great so far...i only have 51 jumps but i have been able to turn a point or 2 on a few jumps now just because of how helpful people have been when im out there. I havent even really asked people to jump with them they hear my low jump number and ask me cuz they want to get me more expierence (well and load organizers get free jumps with a 4way or more a lot of the time) but yea its all about having fun and learning, dont worry about getting good fast i havent and i have been having a blast anyone who tells u otherwise is as everyone has said above...A DICK!!
If your ever out at perris or elsinore send me a PM on here ill be glad to jump with ya BLUE SKIES!!

And keep drawingB|

Aint that the truth... To much take from the sport.. and not enough give back to it.[:/]

Come to Eloy and I'll jump with you. I load organize on weekends at skydive Arizona.

Jen, do this, Miss W is awsome, and Eloy is only a 6-7 hour drive. ROAD TRIPB|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just ask ;) If anyone gets upset with you for not being amazing at 38 jumps, they're a dick and you probably don't want to jump with them anyway.

I did three jumps today. All three had 1-2 people with sub 70 jumps. We didn't turn a single point. I had a blast and helped them learn something.

No, THEY didn't turn a single point (at least on ours), WE did though. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've had my A licence for over a month now, and am trying to jump with other people whenever I get the opportunity. Sometimes it's there- the DZ hosts organized events frequently, and sometimes I can get friends to jump with me...

...but currently I'm not very good. I backslide like crazy and have trouble with my fall rate. This makes me feel guilty about asking to jump with more experienced pals, and very reluctant to ask to jump with people I don't know well.

The paradox is, I'm not getting any better at jumping with others until I get more practice at, well, jumping with others.:S

Any suggestions? Or should I just cough up the money for coached jumps when it looks like I'm on my own?

I'll bet...if you showed up with a Gatorade or Dr. Pepper, there's at least one guy that'll jump with you tomorrow.:P Jumped with one of your friends today; she got in 5 docks.
Even tho the org'd event isn't happening tomorrow, we can push some jumps out.
And never be shy about asking!

It's hard, sometimes even with more experience, to ask people to jump with you. Like anything, sometimes shyness and/or fear of rejection kicks in. Keep the jumps small and focused, and just keep at it.

If I see a group I'd like to join, I like to say "Hey, what are you guys working on today? Can I join in?" If the answer is "We're doing team training" or "We want to do 4-way with the same group all day" or any number of variations, I'll move on. Or if they've already planned their next dive I won't ask to have them rearrange it, I'll just say "Can I join you on the next round, then?"

You've gotten some good advice in this thread - just ask, and be honest about where you are in skills and experience. Not everyone will be willing to jump with you, and it's generally not personal, they may just be looking for something different out of that particular jump. And that's okay.

I love to jump with newer jumpers - if the jump is at a level where I feel like we can all be safely in the air together. So if you asked to join a 10 way with me at your current experience, I'd most likely say no, but if you wanted to do a 2- or 3- or 4-way, I'd likely say yes, because that would be a safe, fun environment for everyone. If one person's out or high or low or a little zoomy on a small jump, it's a lot easier to stay safe than if they're zooming around in a big group.

Coaching is good - there's nothing wrong with paying for it if you've got some very specific stuff you want to focus on. I got some coaching on tracking when I had about 90 jumps from one of the best in the world - and that jump was worth every penny I paid because I got back home to my home DZ and people were blown away by how much better my tracking was.

Free coaching is even better - and you're at Elsinore, home of lots of the best free coaching there is with the Excel camps. Sounds like you're taking advantage of them - keep at it and you'll see yourself improving by leaps and bounds just by going to those and listening and learning.

If you want to do tunnel time - keep in mind that most of the folks who do a lot of tunnel coaching get bulk rates, so their cost with coaching is often about the same as you'd pay for the time only if you were buying it at regular rates. So, that's another thing to think about in terms of working on your skills - you'll get a lot more out of 15 minutes of coached time than you will with 15 minutes by yourself and the cost will be about the same.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'll bet...if you showed up with a Gatorade or Dr. Pepper, there's at least one guy that'll jump with you tomorrow.:P Jumped with one of your friends today; she got in 5 docks.

dude, do you actually jump without a dresss on?:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Really? Had I known that I wouldn't have made other plans. Between the event being scratched and one of the planes being in the shop, I figured my chances of getting jumps with others was pretty poor. Oh well, there's always next week.:)So... ...who's your pal who can be bribed with Gatorade? And what kind does he or she like?

Not to be insulting, but quit being a wimp! Ask some others to jump with you!

That's kinda funny that I'm cool with jumping out of a plane, but asking others to go with me is another story.

By the way, thanks for all the responses so far. I had no idea I'd get so many.:)

I prefer Red. Tony always has it in a cooler behind his stove... Failing that, there is usually a case of it in my office.;)
Tomorrow is looking light if you'd like to change plans again. or there's always next weekend.

Yes Squeak...the dress comes off on occasion, special occasions...

Failing the Gatorade; there are always L/O's on the DZ, just ask at the Manifest window. The gals up there are always able to make the hook-up.