Anvilbrother

Video link to wingsuit landing here

Congratulations Gary. What an amazing jump. Only problem is that now I'm worried that I'm out of a job.

Bill Booth

Start selling boxes.

LOL

+1

And along this same line, Gary has just given a completely new meaning to the skydiving term "boxman."

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

In the future, instead of Red Bull, Fedex and UPS sponsors. Instead of swoop pond, 20 foot deep trench filled with packing peanuts and a bubble-pack top.

Or sponsored by Zeus Packaging, the apparent supplier of the 18,000 boxes for this wingsuit landing attempt.

(reference in a comment here)

I bet that after analyses are done on the landing angles and speeds, that people will be doing other wingsuit landings within the next decade for publicity/fame/media -- now that this path is trailblazed -- including on a slide, on a ski slope (with skiis), and more.

Yep, many people will now try to copy this stunt. And many of those that try, will die.

I'll bet that "not many" will try to copy. Not any more likely than those that have tried (and died) copying Bill Cole or Travis Pastrana's chuteless jumps, or those that have tried to copy Greg Gasson's stunts.

Landings of a wingsuit has only been a matter of time for a long time. Aside from Gary's tremendous success today, there are at least three others with plans to achieve this same thing/different ways.

I anticipate many canceled or altered plans. Building a million dollar secret sauce ramp and then threading the needle seems a bit silly today.

That's not how beer rules work.
:P

That's exactly how they work.
When you do something for the first time you owe beer to all those who have come before you.
When there is no one before you, you owe nothing because there is no one to owe it to.
:D

:D:D
Read the rules. HE owes beer....not to us, but to his mentors.

Glad he pulled it off. Big dream, big balls, big success.
Congrats to him!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

In the future, instead of Red Bull, Fedex and UPS sponsors. Instead of swoop pond, 20 foot deep trench filled with packing peanuts and a bubble-pack top.

Or sponsored by Zeus Packaging, the apparent supplier of the 18,000 boxes for this wingsuit landing attempt.

(reference in a comment here)

It wasn't a secret
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

"no corporate investors"

Not so sure about that - did you notice his wingsuit?
The backboard during the interviews?
The location???

Not just on the wingsuit, but the wingsuit itself :-P

Plus Gary was wearing a t-shirt advertising his wife's cafe B|

Well heck...if T-shirts matter...there were Skydive Elsinore Wingsuit School T-shirts seen on TV, building up the landing area. :P I guess we're a sponsor too. :) (not).

Gary spent tens of thousands of his own $$ on this project; Bremont may have paid for parts of it, and rights sales... but this clearly wasn't about the money. It was about "I believe I can do this and am going to follow my dream."

Did anyone notice that the majority of the people attending were people who assembled boxes?
Wonder what happened to the other 17,800 boxes that weren't damaged in the landing.

...but this clearly wasn't about the money. It was about "I believe I can do this and am going to follow my dream."

I like to think that it was about " I can do it cheaper, sooner and probably make more money out of it than Jeb would".

Matter of different approach.
In the end, Jeb is pro base while Gary is pro stuntman

Wonder what happened to the other 17,800 boxes that weren't damaged in the landing.

They were flat packed and shipped back to the supplier and some to Pinewood studios. Also they drove a Hummer through some of them!

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people