Anvilbrother

Video link to wingsuit landing here

So what is "the man in black" gonna do for attention now?

Congrats again......No hype, no adverts, no big tv interviews leading up to it to let everyone know how cool he is. Just some good old fashioned skydiving. Wish our sport had more people like that.

Thats awesome, I have been following with interest. Totally agree with everyone else here, its nice to see that someone did it without going on about how great they were for years first.
I did chuckle at one of the box builders facebook comments - something along the lines of "now, does anyone need 18000 boxes to move house with?"
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Refreshingly low key indeed.
There were spectators; various videos came out quickly and weren't being controlled only through one organization; and the scenery wasn't plastered with company logos in every viewing angle.

I wouldn't have minded it if there were a logo for the carboard box company -- the boxes were minor stars of the show too!

Congrats again......No hype, no adverts, no big tv interviews leading up to it to let everyone know how cool he is. Just some good old fashioned skydiving. Wish our sport had more people like that.

to be fair:

Truly amazing, nothing but total respect. Congratulations. Every time I think something is totally impossible I am proven wrong. Thank you bro for showing us :)

Jeb

This thread

Don't be a hater
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

And he didn't have to use a multi-million dollar ramp or go to vegas to do it.

It's nice to see someone do it instead of talk about it for 5 years.

Congrats dude. You win the grande cajones award!!

+1

I think his stunt fall background helped him realize the solution was at hand and already in use. Cool idea to add a neck brace too.

Just awesome, I never heard of his plan until a few days ago and the next thing I see he's done it and there's video. Just epic!

I bet that after analyses are done on the landing angles and speeds, that people will be doing other wingsuit landings within the next decade for publicity/fame/media -- now that this path is trailblazed -- including on a slide, on a ski slope (with skiis), and more.

Yep, many people will now try to copy this stunt. And many of those that try, will die.

I bet that after analyses are done on the landing angles and speeds, that people will be doing other wingsuit landings within the next decade for publicity/fame/media -- now that this path is trailblazed -- including on a slide, on a ski slope (with skiis), and more.

Yep, many people will now try to copy this stunt. And many of those that try, will die.

I'll bet that "not many" will try to copy. Not any more likely than those that have tried (and died) copying Bill Cole or Travis Pastrana's chuteless jumps, or those that have tried to copy Greg Gasson's stunts.

Landings of a wingsuit has only been a matter of time for a long time. Aside from Gary's tremendous success today, there are at least three others with plans to achieve this same thing/different ways.

I totally agree. As much as the whole Jeblix Cormgartner "love me, love me" thing is entertaining too, this actually warmed my heart. So happy for this guy! He lived his dream for the experience itself instead of seeing himself as some sort of superhero. No drama, no fanfare, no corporate investors, no special requirements, no talking about it for years on chat shows, no Vegas, just a pile of boxes and a wingsuit.

Hey Garry

Beautiful execution of a well rehearsed plan; sending you big respect and joy for this tremendous accomplishment performed with authentic style. We are all proud of this profound performance of nonparachutemanship Bravo!

I was there the day Rod Pack jumped with out a parachute for the first time nearly 50 years ago, and Bob Allen passes him a belly wart reserve in freefall. That was front page headline news on every paper of the world. This in comparison seemed to me to be even more astonishing and dangerous. They have been talking about doing this forever. Way to go Hero, it looked kind of iffy coming in through the bumps of turbulence, before executing a perfectly timed nose high flare right on the box tops. What timing, what a superb flight in to the record books for extraordinary achievement? This was better than landing the jetliner in the Hudson, what a pilot-Hurray! You’re the Man

Tim
SCR-21

It's not everyday you watch someone go in... and then come out again.

I for one am completely blown away by what Gary has done.

He set himself a challenge, risk assessed the possibility and went and did it.

I know he is a stuntman and as such is used to risk-assessing events, however what he has done here is truly inspiring. Not inspiring in that I or anyone with a wingsuit would be mad enough to try and copy this feat, more inspiring in the way he just got on with it and did it.

A small guy amongst a huge amount of boxes, true genius.

"no corporate investors"

Not so sure about that - did you notice his wingsuit?
The backboard during the interviews?
The location???

Not just on the wingsuit, but the wingsuit itself :-P

Plus Gary was wearing a t-shirt advertising his wife's cafe B|
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live