contract

2 health insurance plans for extra protection

I've been paying out-of-pocket for Kaiser coverage for years, and I've also had Blue Shield coverage provided by my employer.

Does it make sense to do this? I figured if something goes wrong (with skydiving or other activities) and I'll have large medical bills to cover, two health insurance policies could help protect me financially better than one.

Do I have the right approach to this? Could there be some restrictions with one of the policies preventing me from taking advantage of both?

It is impossible to answer this question without knowing the terms and conditions of the individual policies, particularly the coordination of benefits. These differ by state. At best you are getting great coverage and minimizing financial risk. At worst you are paying a lot in premiums for very minimal benefit. There would have to be a lot more information available on both costs and potential benefits before offering any opinion. Of course other factors such as ability to save money (and thus self-insure) and the value of peace of mind weigh into this also.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

A gap policy may be a better choice than two full policies. These are also called secondary insurance. They are designed to "fill in the gap" that the first policy doesn't cover, and usually cost less than a full policy.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

everyone you talk to will have a different experience concerning insurance, some with bad experiences and some with good. my experience has left such a bad taste that I dont believe in insurance anymore. My experience has shown me that insurance companies pick and choose what they are willing to pay for. When it comes to insurance, just be careful.

everyone you talk to will have a different experience concerning insurance, some with bad experiences and some with good. my experience has left such a bad taste that I dont believe in insurance anymore. My experience has shown me that insurance companies pick and choose what they are willing to pay for. When it comes to insurance, just be careful.

I'm assuming you are wealthy enough to pay out of pocket for medical services if when you are hurt or become ill?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I'm assuming you are wealthy enough to pay out of pocket for medical services if when you are hurt or become ill?

haha not hardly. If I become ill, then I will die piecefully at home.

haha not hardly. If I become ill, then I will die piecefully at home.

Then I hope you will draw up a living will to that effect. Dying at home is not as easy to accomplish as you might think. :S Not to mention if you get hurt (say, in a car accident), and the next thing you know, they have hauled you off in an ambulance to the hospital.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

A gap policy may be a better choice than two full policies. These are also called secondary insurance. They are designed to "fill in the gap" that the first policy doesn't cover, and usually cost less than a full policy.

i second this. you want to make sure you get policies that do not overlap. i have travel insurance, which is essentially a gap. they will pay medical expenses that my primary doesnt cover. no need to have two policies covering the same thing. you will not get a check from both, as far as i know.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

no need to have two policies covering the same thing. you will not get a check from both, as far as i know.

Nope, insurance companies have "coordination of benefits" departments that put a lot of energy into figuring out who's the "right" company to pay a particular bill. If you have a $1000 hospital bill, it's not as if each of them will cut a check for a grand. I was involved (as the pedestrian) in a car-vs-pedestrian accident that involved one health insurance company and two car insurance companies. Rest assured the total amount paid by the three was not more than the total amount billed. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Based on the advice I got on this thread and elsewhere, i cancelled my personal Kaiser health insurance plan and now only have my Blue Shield plan provided by my employer.

I've been looking online for gap health insurance providers and haven't yet found any - is there a specific provider someone could recommend? Also, is there a specific type of gap coverage I should look for?