FreefallSnoopy

Weird question

I believe that there is no proper position. Just like with everything else, you ask 10 people, you will get 8 different answers.

I personally catch the risers. Other people will tell you don't do this because you can get fingers caught or whatever. But I'm willing to accept that risk. I do it because I believe that it (for me) eliminates any chance for line twists. I keep the risers apart so I get turned with the canopy. No chance for the canopy to twist faster than me and spin up the lines.

Your build/canopy choice/experience will be different than mine so it may not work for you, but it has worked for me.

I keep my hands near my risers, but I don't grab them. That way I don't need to worry about my hands getting caught, but I'm still ready to make a quick turn to avoid a possible canopy collision.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep in mind that putting your arms upawrds after your PC toss can create problems in the case of a PC hesitation or PC in tow.

If the PC doesn't catch air immediately, or tows for some reason, now you're in freefall with your arms up and that can put you head-low. If the PC catches air, or the tow clears while you're head low, that's going to suck. It can lead to a harder opening, or just more 'whipping' action when the canopy sits you upright.

A better thought is to return to your regular freefall body position, and wait to see what happens. If the deployment begins as normal, then you can move to grab the risers if you wish.

However, other problems can arise, like getting your hands/figners stuck in the case of line twists, accidentally unstowing one brake, and I'm fairly certain I broke my pinky once when it got hit with the risers.

My suggesttion would be to stay 'hands off' until the slider is most of the way down, just to avoid complications until you have your own rig, and 20-some jumps on the system. By that time, you'll begin to get used to the 'normal' opening sequence for that rig/canopy, and will know better what you should, or should not, be doing during the deployment. While jumping new-to-you gear or student/rental rigs, play it safe and let the canopy do it's thing without your 'help'.

As a recent AFF student we are taught clearly to return to our normal flying position after tossing the pilot chute. This is what I try to do, albeit not very arched as that feels a bit rough on my back if the canopy opens slightly harder.

What is the typical arm position post-deployment?

The correct answer is to "Sit up and dump".

Extend your arms out in front of you to raise yourself to a head high position. This directs the air flow over your back to sweeps the pilot chute up off your back and into the air stream avoiding a burble. Lift your head and look up to check your pilot chute canopy. Don't lift your head of stick your arms out to much to avoid entering a back loop.

Keep your shoulders level to the ground. Dropping one will cause the bag to spin off your back creating line twists.

We just want you to get into a head high position and ready to sit into the saddle. A 45 degree angle is enough. Being ready to grab you risers for immediate steering control is a good idea.

What is being said about getting you fingers "snapped" is true. Watch out for it.